A8 / S8 (D5 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D5 Audi A8 Produced from 2017-Present
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Long Consumer Reports article on AI Traffic Jam Pilot

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2017, 09:16 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 579 Likes on 485 Posts
Default Long Consumer Reports article on AI Traffic Jam Pilot

See: https://www.yahoo.com/news/audis-pit...224550008.html Self explanatory and some independent reporting there.

Personally I'm not sure I get the feature as they press released it. Seems basically like a system designed for stop and go freeway traffic, since it essentially has to be on a divided highway to use. I have agree w/ article that Audis reference to TV watching was pretty stupid, especially with the reports of the deceased Tesla driver sliding under the FL big rig supposedly watching a DVD at the time. I guess Audi couldn't quite admit in plain English though, that "yep our system is designed to let you text your brains out while caught in bumper to bumper traffic." Let's be truthful that would/will likely be the leading use of it, followed by make up, shaving, stuffing face with face food, etc.

Also have to chuckle a bit about the naivete of CR when it comes to Audi enthusiasts. Unless Audi really locks down the D5, how long do we really think it will take for the VCDS hacks to show up? Since I have already tweaked the D4 S8 some for lane assist, at least one part of a system with an overlapping relationship to this is already accessible on current platform Audi's.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 07-13-2017 at 07:07 AM.
Old 07-13-2017, 06:12 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 711 Likes on 502 Posts

That was my general takeaway of the system when they first stared to talk about it. Likely to be an option for which I personally would have no use. My opinion is: Drivers should not be texting or otherwise be engaged in other distracting endeavors; and if you don't want to be in command and experience the driving dynamics of a finely crafted piece of German engineering, then you shouldn't be behind the wheel of an Audi A8 ;-))

Actually, the pre-unveil video of the father turning around in his seat to play with his son while the car was moving and stopping on its own in traffic bugged the heck out of me. Just sayin'...
Old 07-13-2017, 08:57 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 43 Likes on 29 Posts

You hardly get to enjoy German precision engineered driving dynamics in a traffic jam. I'm perfectly content to let the car handle those. It's not that I'd rather use my phone than drive, it's that I'd rather someone else do the driving for the stopped up bits.
Old 07-13-2017, 09:10 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Jack88
You hardly get to enjoy German precision engineered driving dynamics in a traffic jam. I'm perfectly content to let the car handle those. It's not that I'd rather use my phone than drive, it's that I'd rather someone else do the driving for the stopped up bits.
I guess if you live in an area like LA, then it might make some sense. I'll admit that if every vehicle had a similar system then there would be virtually no rear end accidents, which would free up traffic to the extent that you could then enjoy the car's driving dynamics. Ah, I just love circular logic ;-)
Old 07-17-2017, 06:25 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by derfA8L
My opinion is: Drivers should not be texting or otherwise be engaged in other distracting endeavors; and if you don't want to be in command and experience the driving dynamics of a finely crafted piece of German engineering, then you shouldn't be behind the wheel of an Audi A8 ;-))

Actually, the pre-unveil video of the father turning around in his seat to play with his son while the car was moving and stopping on its own in traffic bugged the heck out of me. Just sayin'...
The car is the driver when it is engaged. The human driver can watch a movie, text, etc when the car is driving. If the car asks for help, the human has to take over, but there is sufficient warning for that.

It is not available in the US.
Old 07-18-2017, 02:34 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by rsilvers129
The car is the driver when it is engaged. The human driver can watch a movie, text, etc when the car is driving. If the car asks for help, the human has to take over, but there is sufficient warning for that.

It is not available in the US.
The Audi system is actually being tested in several States here in the U.S. I live in New York State and the Audi AI system is being evaluated by the NY State Police. The results of that review will determine whether NYS will allow its implementation in our State. Not sure if availability in the U.S. Is on a state-by-state basis, or if it has to clear all states for Audi to make it available here.

Anyone know for sure?