A8 / S8 (D5 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D5 Audi A8 Produced from 2017-Present
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Be mindful of battery tenders.

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2019, 12:10 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 779 Likes on 571 Posts

Originally Posted by gk1
Excellent. Yes indeed do tell your feelings of OBDEleven vs. VCDS. I am also from the old-school when vagcom was the only game in town.

I noticed in your picture on the left it says "Cell assembly comprising 13 battery cells" which makes sense to me 13 x 3.7v = 48V
However what do you think it means on the right where it says "Plug-in module with single battery cell"? Does that mean there is a 14th cell? A hot spare if one fails? Weird, I know you have pretty much extracted all available printed info about the battery but I am wondering what you think that means.
Great question! I perused through every single document that I have and there is no additional reference to this. All I can do is guess. On the left hand side it says "cell assembly comprising 13 battery cells" (thus referring to the assembly unit only), and the other being a single battery cell that plugs into the unit/module. As your math indicates, there should only be 13 pouches/cells, and per the other documentation, it confirms the magic # of 13! Unlikely there would be a 14th, but that said - Audi documentation is not the greatest, let alone non customer facing into. I see a bunch of errors scattered here and there due to translation issues I suspect!

That's my best guess. I will certainly share more about OBD11 vs VCDS. I know a few of us are poking around with this and have some VCDS/Vagcom experience! Anxiously awaiting the unit!

Edit:

I heard back from the popular battery charger/tender "Noco": "The charger will never automatically go into The Repair Mode (the dedicated desulfation mode that uses 16.5V). That mode must be manually selected by the user of the charger by pressing and holding the mode button down for 3-5 seconds and then toggling over to the 12V Repair LED. When a normal charge mode is selected (i.e. 12V NORM, 12V COLD/AGM, etc) the charger will remain in that mode for the entirety of the charge. If the charger is disconnected from AC power and then re-connected (i.e. in the event that the power goes out and then comes back on) the charger will resume charging in the last charge mode that it was in before AC power was removed. So if it was in 12V NORM mode and then AC power was removed, it will be in 12v NORM mode again once AC power is resumed."

--

That said, I'm perfectly happy with the 5A Battery Tender Plus mentioned upthread. Worked very well.

Last edited by angrypengu; 05-22-2019 at 03:38 PM.
Old 06-02-2019, 06:10 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 779 Likes on 571 Posts

Apologies all: Housekeeping: Closing this thread out.

For verdicts/final thoughts on this subject, please visit:https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a8-...ns-d5-2973388/