A8 / S8 (D5 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D5 Audi A8 Produced from 2017-Present
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Motor 1 review of teh 2019 A8L: Go back to the drawing board and try harder

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2019, 10:38 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts
Default Motor 1 review of teh 2019 A8L: Go back to the drawing board and try harder

Overall 5.9/10 score. I must agree with their assessment of the exterior design being so uninspired. The low score on technology and performance is somewhat surprising.

https://www.motor1.com/reviews/34631...udi-a8-review/
Old 04-26-2019, 12:12 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 711 Likes on 502 Posts

Other than negative commenting about the exterior styling which is totally subjective...The reviewer had issues with having to order different option packages to get the various tech features on a flagship vehicle—not really any problems with the functionality of the various tech features themselves. He also had issues with having to pay for the Audi connectivity after the complementary free trial period(s) end to keep the associated tech to keep working. Seemed to me to be a case of dinging the car’s overall score over some rather pedestrian issues. His review also was influenced by his general feeling about the lack of a V8 and his perceived limitations of the standard V6. Mostly, he did like the car and it’s ride and handling quality. Thought he gave way too much weight to the “blue collar” things he found to gripe about.
Old 04-26-2019, 06:27 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 777 Likes on 569 Posts

The thing about opinions is that everyone is entitled to one!

I'm not going to jump to anything like many car people when they read a review they may not like.

Here's my view on the A8. It fits what I am looking for, and one main reason I bought it is that I don't want people knowing I can afford it and spent 6 figures on a car.

To me, that's a plus. i'm not a showy person, period.
Old 04-27-2019, 03:52 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 777 Likes on 569 Posts

Originally Posted by derfA8L
Other than negative commenting about the exterior styling which is totally subjective...The reviewer had issues with having to order different option packages to get the various tech features on a flagship vehicle—not really any problems with the functionality of the various tech features themselves. He also had issues with having to pay for the Audi connectivity after the complementary free trial period(s) end to keep the associated tech to keep working. Seemed to me to be a case of dinging the car’s overall score over some rather pedestrian issues. His review also was influenced by his general feeling about the lack of a V8 and his perceived limitations of the standard V6. Mostly, he did like the car and it’s ride and handling quality. Thought he gave way too much weight to the “blue collar” things he found to gripe about.
I actually missed his Audi Connect gripe the first time around. Here in Canada, Audi Connect (neutered) is offered complimentary for the first 4 years, as it is for other models as well. After that, there is a fee.

I personally find that if people gripe about this on an A4, fine, sure, it's an added expense. However, people whining about an inconsequential charge on a A8? Well, there's a reason he's reviewing it as an editor, and not as an owner.
Old 04-27-2019, 05:11 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 711 Likes on 502 Posts

Originally Posted by angrypengu
...I personally find that if people gripe about this on an A4, fine, sure, it's an added expense. However, people whining about an inconsequential charge on a A8? Well, there's a reason he's reviewing it as an editor, and not as an owner.
Exactly my take and conclusion.