A8 / S8 (D5 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D5 Audi A8 Produced from 2017-Present
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My new D5

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2019, 05:50 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default My new D5

Hello from Florida. This is my new 2019 A8. I picked it up on Monday. Here is the option list:

Seville Red Metallic
Saiga Beige interior
Luxury Package
Executive Package
Lighting Package
Driver Assistance Package
Dynamic all-wheel steering
20" wheel package
Cold Weather Package
Paint Protection: Rear load sill/door cup/door edge

What do I think after only 3 days? Here are some thoughts in no particular order:

1) The wait. My 2016 D4 with the V8 lease expired on December 11, 2018. I visited the dealer in late August to order the new car, foolishly expecting that would be enough time. The dealer told me to expect it by the end of the year. I turned in the D4 on December 11 and was told mid January for the new car. The date was pushed back and back from there. To be perfectly honest had I been given an accurate delivery date I would not have ordered the car and would have gone across the street to the BMW dealer. The D5's are just trickling into the country, and few are equipped as well as mine. Mine is the first the dealer has received with the 4 wheel steering. I'm glad I've got the car now, but I will not order a car not in full production again. It's difficult to understand why the V8 isn't available yet and why they are so rare given the media first drove this model in 2017.

2) The color. We are disappointed in the color. The chip at the dealer was red. When I ask people the color of the vehicle they all say brown. If I had to do it again I would have ordered silver or blue.

3) The interior: It is awesome. The fit and finish are spectacular. The seats are past comfortable. The back seat space is measured in acres. Like the D4 it could use more storage space in the center console. That is a minor flaw in an otherwise perfect interior.

4) The engine. I thought long and hard about the adjective to use here. The best I could come up with is adequate. I rarely drove the D4 in sport mode. Other than highway cruising I expect I will use it all the time in this car. It fixes what is otherwise a noticeable turbo lag. The V6 gets the job done but if you like a rush on acceleration wait for the V8. By the way my dealer says they still can't order the V8 and don't know when the S8 will be available here.

5) Sound system. Excellent. I don't know what anyone would want to spend the money for the upgraded system.

6) Technology. The learning curve is formidable. The dealer has a full time technology expert but they don't recommend the first session with him. There would be far too much to remember from such a session Te sales rep gave me the basics and that was the right way to start. I'll see the tech guy after a couple of months. The complexity and options are overwhelming. That said, the basic functions are pretty easy. It is a lot like using a tablet. I was able to program our neighborhood gate and garage door, as well as change the name of each, without much trouble. I think with time it will be a great experience. It certainly is fun to play with it. It has the best voice recognition system I have ever used. I have not liked these systems much because of the struggle to understand me. I've had no issues with this one.

7) 4 wheel steering: Don't get a D5 without it! The way this car turns is hard to describe. Audi says it turns inside an A4. I have no doubt that is correct. Parking it is a breeze. Given the length of the wheelbase it would be a pain to park without this great option. Insist on it!

8) Interior lighting. Increasing and decreasing the lighting of the screens can only be done from the menus. The main screen behind the steering wheel should have a traditional dial to make it easy to adjust. I am very sensitive to night light so I have shut off the lighting inside the car except for the dash. Even at the lowest menu setting the screen is too bright for me. In fairness I found the dash too bright on the D4 too. The Germans must like bright dashes at night. If you have sensitive night vision I recommend you test drive the car at night and decide for yourself. The lighting isn't a deal breaker for me but they really should allow easy adjustment of the the screen behind the steering wheel and not having to resort to a menu system to change it. We'll see how the brightness adjusts to changing lighting like dusk. It's supposed to adjust automatically. Did someone complain that it was exhausting to turn a dial?

9) Handling/steering/suspension. The car rides like a dream. I love the steering. It is not overpowered and has a good road feel. Cornering is fine. It drives like a smaller vehicle, and the 4 wheel steering is terrific.

All in I the car is fine. It is a pleasure to drive. You won't get whiplash but it accelerates nicely onto the highway and is fine off the line. I have no regrets.

Questions? Just ask.

Arch Stanton

I am sure I will love the car despite the minor complaints.

That's my early sense on the car. I will miss the V8 but it really is n
Old 02-21-2019, 03:33 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 880 Likes on 719 Posts

Welcome to the forum. Good looking car.
Old 02-21-2019, 04:45 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 786 Likes on 573 Posts

Originally Posted by ArchieStanton

Hello from Florida. This is my new 2019 A8. I picked it up on Monday. Here is the option list:

Seville Red Metallic
Saiga Beige interior
Luxury Package
Executive Package
Lighting Package
Driver Assistance Package
Dynamic all-wheel steering
20" wheel package
Cold Weather Package
Paint Protection: Rear load sill/door cup/door edge

What do I think after only 3 days? Here are some thoughts in no particular order:

1) The wait. My 2016 D4 with the V8 lease expired on December 11, 2018. I visited the dealer in late August to order the new car, foolishly expecting that would be enough time. The dealer told me to expect it by the end of the year. I turned in the D4 on December 11 and was told mid January for the new car. The date was pushed back and back from there. To be perfectly honest had I been given an accurate delivery date I would not have ordered the car and would have gone across the street to the BMW dealer. The D5's are just trickling into the country, and few are equipped as well as mine. Mine is the first the dealer has received with the 4 wheel steering. I'm glad I've got the car now, but I will not order a car not in full production again. It's difficult to understand why the V8 isn't available yet and why they are so rare given the media first drove this model in 2017.

2) The color. We are disappointed in the color. The chip at the dealer was red. When I ask people the color of the vehicle they all say brown. If I had to do it again I would have ordered silver or blue.

3) The interior: It is awesome. The fit and finish are spectacular. The seats are past comfortable. The back seat space is measured in acres. Like the D4 it could use more storage space in the center console. That is a minor flaw in an otherwise perfect interior.

4) The engine. I thought long and hard about the adjective to use here. The best I could come up with is adequate. I rarely drove the D4 in sport mode. Other than highway cruising I expect I will use it all the time in this car. It fixes what is otherwise a noticeable turbo lag. The V6 gets the job done but if you like a rush on acceleration wait for the V8. By the way my dealer says they still can't order the V8 and don't know when the S8 will be available here.

5) Sound system. Excellent. I don't know what anyone would want to spend the money for the upgraded system.

6) Technology. The learning curve is formidable. The dealer has a full time technology expert but they don't recommend the first session with him. There would be far too much to remember from such a session Te sales rep gave me the basics and that was the right way to start. I'll see the tech guy after a couple of months. The complexity and options are overwhelming. That said, the basic functions are pretty easy. It is a lot like using a tablet. I was able to program our neighborhood gate and garage door, as well as change the name of each, without much trouble. I think with time it will be a great experience. It certainly is fun to play with it. It has the best voice recognition system I have ever used. I have not liked these systems much because of the struggle to understand me. I've had no issues with this one.

7) 4 wheel steering: Don't get a D5 without it! The way this car turns is hard to describe. Audi says it turns inside an A4. I have no doubt that is correct. Parking it is a breeze. Given the length of the wheelbase it would be a pain to park without this great option. Insist on it!

8) Interior lighting. Increasing and decreasing the lighting of the screens can only be done from the menus. The main screen behind the steering wheel should have a traditional dial to make it easy to adjust. I am very sensitive to night light so I have shut off the lighting inside the car except for the dash. Even at the lowest menu setting the screen is too bright for me. In fairness I found the dash too bright on the D4 too. The Germans must like bright dashes at night. If you have sensitive night vision I recommend you test drive the car at night and decide for yourself. The lighting isn't a deal breaker for me but they really should allow easy adjustment of the the screen behind the steering wheel and not having to resort to a menu system to change it. We'll see how the brightness adjusts to changing lighting like dusk. It's supposed to adjust automatically. Did someone complain that it was exhausting to turn a dial?

9) Handling/steering/suspension. The car rides like a dream. I love the steering. It is not overpowered and has a good road feel. Cornering is fine. It drives like a smaller vehicle, and the 4 wheel steering is terrific.

All in I the car is fine. It is a pleasure to drive. You won't get whiplash but it accelerates nicely onto the highway and is fine off the line. I have no regrets.

Questions? Just ask.

Arch Stanton

I am sure I will love the car despite the minor complaints.

That's my early sense on the car. I will miss the V8 but it really is n
Congrats.

RE the sound system. Without the Advanced package there are a lot of speakers missing for the rear passengers and its apparent.

That said for the front the difference is marginal. For me though, the pop up speakers are worth the 5K.
Old 02-21-2019, 05:39 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

lol, i bought the 5k B&O just for the pop up speakers I thought they looked cool.

Great post. In the picture, I like the color.
Old 02-21-2019, 05:40 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

And your garage is so clean! :-)
Old 02-21-2019, 12:03 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Thank you.
Old 02-21-2019, 12:04 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by clintonm9
lol, i bought the 5k B&O just for the pop up speakers I thought they looked cool.

Great post. In the picture, I like the color.
We don't hate it. We just wish it looked more like the sample we were shown.
Old 02-21-2019, 12:06 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by clintonm9
And your garage is so clean! :-)
It's our vacation home. Trust me, our home in New England is not so clean.
Old 02-21-2019, 01:26 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ArchieStanton
We don't hate it. We just wish it looked more like the sample we were shown.
It looks more maroon than brown to me - it looks nice, pretty unique for an A8.
Old 02-21-2019, 08:52 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by dwboston
It looks more maroon than brown to me - it looks nice, pretty unique for an A8.
I'm glad you like it. I expect the color will grow on us. I love the lines of the car. I think it is nicer than our D4.

Quick Reply: My new D5