A8 / S8 (D5 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D5 Audi A8 Produced from 2017-Present
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New D5 owner - photos/thoughts!

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2019, 10:17 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 779 Likes on 571 Posts

Originally Posted by gk1
Doesn't the predictive system also replace the anti-roll bars? I'd be curious about that and how body roll is with the predictive system.
Fun fact, after reading your post I went scouring through the parts diagram, and I swear I saw, a few months ago, all of the parts for the predictive suspension. All references have been removed when I look at the parts around the air struts. No mention about predictive suspension components, at all, anymore.

Maybe it's been discontinued?!
Old 05-06-2019, 12:55 PM
gk1
AudiWorld Super User

Received 515 Likes on 450 Posts

Originally Posted by angrypengu
Fun fact, after reading your post I went scouring through the parts diagram, and I swear I saw, a few months ago, all of the parts for the predictive suspension. All references have been removed when I look at the parts around the air struts. No mention about predictive suspension components, at all, anymore.

Maybe it's been discontinued?!
It's a shame when it comes to innovation, but wouldn't surprise me lately. Any idea what the cost option was predicted to be?
Old 05-06-2019, 12:56 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by gk1
It's a shame when it comes to innovation, but wouldn't surprise me lately. Any idea what the cost option was predicted to be?
Not a darn clue!

MB's Magic Body Control and BMW's predictive suspension option (when kitted with the requisite package in order to order the standalone option) is around $5K. I would expect the same would have been for Audi.

But let's wait until MY20's order guides. We just don't know until we hear from an official source!
Old 05-07-2019, 04:35 PM
AudiWorld Super User

As promised, here is the EUCALYPTUS NATURAL GRAY BROWN INLAYS. I tried to do the best job possible. To summarize, the default build has the greyer of the two options. This one, as the name implies, is more natural. In the marketing materials, it looked a bit more red/brown, but I'd say the vernacular description is more appropriate. "natural gray", to be precise. I like it, but I don't personally love it. It's a natural colour, and that's the upside, as opposed to the default build grey which makes everything look so dark/gloomy. If I could do it again, I'd choose the walnut lacquered version or whatever it's called (for the US build as per @derfA8L 's build guide thread he posted today. That said, I admit, I am old schooled when it comes to interior choices.

If you look closely you can also see the tint scratch lines from the operation of the window. It gets replaced on Thursday.

Old 05-07-2019, 04:42 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Just to add some more information, and touches.

1) The armest is more than a compartment. It actually slides forward and upwards to support your arm. The trick is to hold onto the plastic handle as if you were opening the glovebox, and while holding it, you can adjust each side (Driver's/passenger's) independently.
2) Despite being in comfort mode or auto mode, the steering weights up a bit too much for my taste at highway speeds. I can't keep it in "easy steering" mode (e.g. the fake artificial super light feel in parking lots).
3) I cannot make the car drop at highway speeds with comfort mode. If I use individual mode and keep the suspension at the softest setting, the suspension still stays at position 3.
4) As other reviewers have noted, my respect for this EA839 engine in the D5 gets better and stronger every single day. The oomph/torque that this has really would fool some that this may be a V8. That said I have not floored it yet as my engine is just breaking in. I am fairly certain high end grunt isn't there when compared to a V8. That said, I am perfectly happy with this, and for reference sake, I do own a R8 V10 as well. Different cars for different reasons. I see no need to have a bullet hyper 2.5 ton D5, but that's me.

I am still madly enjoying this vehicle. After a year of research I am 100% sure now that I made the perfect choice.

PS - those of you keeping track of reliability, minus the two issues I encountered because of what I feel was my doing (fuse hunting, etc) this car has been flawless, thus far. No software or hardware glitches of any kind. For those noting the oil I found near the turbo housing, as I said after I cleaned it up, I would monitor if the issue came back? It hasn't.
Old 05-07-2019, 06:56 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Thanks for your continued updates and insight.

Question on interior materials... how soft/nice is the leather (not just on the seats, but dash, armrests, etc.)? I have the Audi design selection full leather in my D4 and it's the nicest and softest (fullest) leather feeling no matter where I touch. I got in a brand new ~$130k Porsche Panamera last month, also with Porsche's full leather package, and the quality was horrible. It felt like the thinnest layer of leather wrapped over hard plastic to give the illusion of luxury. I've seen the same gimmicks in the new A5, so wondering how the D5 fares in your personal opinion.
Old 05-07-2019, 07:10 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 711 Likes on 502 Posts

Great to hear that you’re enjoying your D5—especially after all the intensive research you put into your purchase process. BTW, the pic of the eucalyptus wood trim looks real nice, and is a choice I’d seriously consider for my VO providing I do go the D5 route. FYI, as a means of comparison, my D4 driving configuration is to keep the suspension setting in COMFORT when driving in town, and always set to DYNAMIC for all highway driving—as you stated in an earlier post in the thread, it really plants the car down at the higher speeds and provides a higher level of stability and vehicle control. I also have the steering set to DYNAMIC all the time, since I prefer a heavier more precise wheel feel at all times and I dislike the softer more floaty feel from the COMFORT mode. But that’s all a personal preference. Keep the good reviews a comin’!!!

Last edited by derfA8L; 05-07-2019 at 07:15 PM.
Old 05-08-2019, 03:25 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by AugustHorch
Thanks for your continued updates and insight.

Question on interior materials... how soft/nice is the leather (not just on the seats, but dash, armrests, etc.)? I have the Audi design selection full leather in my D4 and it's the nicest and softest (fullest) leather feeling no matter where I touch. I got in a brand new ~$130k Porsche Panamera last month, also with Porsche's full leather package, and the quality was horrible. It felt like the thinnest layer of leather wrapped over hard plastic to give the illusion of luxury. I've seen the same gimmicks in the new A5, so wondering how the D5 fares in your personal opinion.
Thanks for the question. Please note that for my build I added the Luxury Package which in my region adds a bunch of things, chief among which is the extended leather package. This includes leather surfaces for the dash, doors, armrest, and other places as well. I have no comparison like you do for the D4 so all I can provide is my opinion. I personally love it. I knew at the time of purchase that I could not stand the fake leatherette surfaces and thus got the option for the leather as discussed for those surfaces. It feels nice and soft to me! That said, again, please take my words here with a pound of salt. I don't have any point of comparison other than the fake leatherette as discussed!

There should be plenty of models near you for your perusal though. Most, if not all, launch models had this option. Please do report back on your thoughts!
Old 05-08-2019, 05:35 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 711 Likes on 502 Posts

Originally Posted by angrypengu
...I have no comparison like you do for the D4 so all I can provide is my opinion. I personally love it. I knew at the time of purchase that I could not stand the fake leatherette surfaces and thus got the option for the leather as discussed for those surfaces. It feels nice and soft to me! That said, again, please take my words here with a pound of salt. I don't have any point of comparison other than the fake leatherette as discussed!
Originally Posted by AugustHorch
If I can chime in here...

AugustHorch, your 2017 MY Design Selection Package (with the Full Leather Package) has the same Valcona leather used in other D4's with the Luxury Package--And is also the same as the D5's Valcona leather (contained in the D5 3.0T Luxury Package and 4.0T First Edition Package). I didn't notice any difference in the Valcona leather surfaces between my D4 and the D5 tester I drove a few months ago--felt exactly the same.
Old 05-08-2019, 09:33 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

That's good to hear. Thank you.

Quick Reply: New D5 owner - photos/thoughts!