A8 / S8 (D5 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D5 Audi A8 Produced from 2017-Present
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New D5 owner - photos/thoughts!

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2019, 07:04 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 711 Likes on 502 Posts

Originally Posted by angrypengu
She is an absolute beauty. I thought about adding an additional custom chrome trim line to my car above the reflectors at the bottom of my bumper as a fleeting thought and your chrome stands out beautifully.

Very few people do a black car justice and should own one. You sir clearly are meant for that privilege!
You are way too kind, but thank you. It truly is a labor of love.
Old 06-24-2019, 11:33 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by derfA8L
Haha...Angrypengu, I see myself in everything you’ve described—you’re not alone in how you’re feeling about your A8. Drove to our weekend home through a 2-hour rain storm today and had to wash the D4 (in the rain) after not being able to stand how dirty it looked after we arrived at the house. You are not alone ��
I know the feeling I had a white Buick regal had to be on top of it otherwise it would dirty and.some.yellow stain on the paint after a sunny day.
I love black colored cars for that reason I wouldnt.go for a black audi. But vesuvius gray that's a beaut.
Old 07-15-2019, 06:10 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 787 Likes on 574 Posts

3 month update, focusing on net new information only for this community:

1) As the summer months hit us, I finally now have concluded my testing in regards to the performance on the hot V turbo. One of my issues with Audis that I've owned in the past is turbo lag. In the summer, as everyone knows, heat soak is an issue that is more prevalent than say, the winter. The fact that the turbo is in the hot V itself made me wonder how that may affect things, and while I appreciate the benefits of the turbo in the hot V, the fact is the turbo is now also farther from the intercooler. I'm not an engineer so while I appreciate some of these design pros and cons, the real question I wanted to see is whether or not turbo lag was more noticeable in the summer vs winter, and if it was also more noticeable once the vehicle had been idling for a while.

I'm happy to report back that I cannot tell the difference, at all, between the usual minor lag from the turbo in the winter vs the summer, and this holds true after extensive idling. I suspect the reason that I can't tell the difference is because of the BSG torque provided by the mild hybrid system.

2) Measuring the oil level using an electronic dipstick is new to me, and now that I've realized that I should only take readings from the MMI after the car has been level for a while (duh...), my oil consumption has been nil. Vehicle's oil is still at the full mark. That said, after extensive idling and every once in a while, I do take the PCV system apart and wipe the tubes dry with shop cloth. There is some oil in there. Unsure if this will cause long term carbon buildup but with Shell Nitro gas and a PEA fuel additive before oil changes like with Redline SI1, things should be OK. The performance of the engine oil used from the factory and from the 50800 approved oil should help as well.

3) I wish I had wrapped the entire car with clear car bra. Very minor rock chips have driven me insane. Audi's paint is certainly not as hard as those on a Mercedes, that's for sure. Benefit is that it's very easy to correct, but I wish the clear coat was much harder.

4) This car has close to zero brake dust. This is a very pleasant change from my last car. I do use the Autoglym brake dust repellent but I see very little dust nonetheless. I suspect this is due to brake energy recuperation during braking which produces a 'drag' which means the brakes are used less. This, and the very thick brake pads means brake life should be very long.

5) If you need to repair a minor rim chip due to a rock or whatever, save yourself some time and get the Duplicolor spray can. The paint color L8Z8 is the one for our Audi rims (the silver ones) but if I were to buy a can it'd have to be custom made from a paint shop which costs $40+. There is a Wurth silver paint can meant for rims but it's been impossible to source here in Canada as aerosols can't be shipped via air. Out of frustration I paid $16 CAD for the Duplicolor Silver wheel paint and it worked well. Dealers do not sell ANY paint to repair rims!

6) As these cars age, just be aware that as you go to service and if you get work done on the car where they have to remove the bottom panel underneath the steering wheel to replace things like the fragrance bottles and such, there are 5 metal clips that hold the bottom cover. These 5 metal clips are the bane of my existence as putting the panel back is a PITA. If any of those 5 clips get broken or bent slightly, you will get a rattle from around that area. I know this because I broke two of the clips. Thankfully the clips cost $2 each and are easily replaceable. Mechanics sometimes, when they break things, just put things back together and pretend like nothing is wrong, but I can see this causing an issue for D5 owners as these cars > 1 year of age as those fragrance bottles are a maintenance item and a tech has to drop that cowl to get to it.

Reliability and such: Nothing to note. Everything has worked well, short of the odd shortcut missing in the MMI which I'm sure will be addressed. I was convinced that I'd be at the dealer 3+ times already now in the 3 months, but sure enough, she's been good. *knock on wood*.

Last edited by angrypengu; 07-16-2019 at 03:34 AM.
Old 07-15-2019, 08:30 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 711 Likes on 502 Posts

Sounds like all systems continue to be “a go.” Nothing really adverse reported. Good for you—and good to hear! Didn’t know where the fragrance bottles are mounted on the car, so now I do 🙃. Yeah, always have to be careful with Audi retainer clips—they do break or lose their shape/tensile strength fairly easily. Anytime my dealer does anything on the car involving clips, the service manager always likes the techs to replace them with new ones to avoid squeaks, vibrations and rattles. Thanks for the positive update—very encouraging as Order Day closes in 😃.
The following users liked this post:
angrypengu (07-16-2019)
Old 07-16-2019, 03:42 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by angrypengu
Just to add some more information, and touches.

1) The armest is more than a compartment. It actually slides forward and upwards to support your arm. The trick is to hold onto the plastic handle as if you were opening the glovebox, and while holding it, you can adjust each side (Driver's/passenger's) independently.
2) Despite being in comfort mode or auto mode, the steering weights up a bit too much for my taste at highway speeds. I can't keep it in "easy steering" mode (e.g. the fake artificial super light feel in parking lots).
3) I cannot make the car drop at highway speeds with comfort mode. If I use individual mode and keep the suspension at the softest setting, the suspension still stays at position 3.
4) As other reviewers have noted, my respect for this EA839 engine in the D5 gets better and stronger every single day. The oomph/torque that this has really would fool some that this may be a V8. That said I have not floored it yet as my engine is just breaking in. I am fairly certain high end grunt isn't there when compared to a V8. That said, I am perfectly happy with this, and for reference sake, I do own a R8 V10 as well. Different cars for different reasons. I see no need to have a bullet hyper 2.5 ton D5, but that's me.

I am still madly enjoying this vehicle. After a year of research I am 100% sure now that I made the perfect choice.

PS - those of you keeping track of reliability, minus the two issues I encountered because of what I feel was my doing (fuse hunting, etc) this car has been flawless, thus far. No software or hardware glitches of any kind. For those noting the oil I found near the turbo housing, as I said after I cleaned it up, I would monitor if the issue came back? It hasn't.
3) This was the same with D4. When suspension is in comfort mode it does not drop at highway speeds (above 60ish).
The following users liked this post:
angrypengu (07-16-2019)
Old 07-16-2019, 03:50 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AUDI A6 C5 DOORS WINDOW GLASS NOT WORKING

Hello Audi World,
Dear friends can any one help with the wiring diagram of the Audi A6 C5 we are stragling to get the window glasses operational.

Kind regards
Old 07-16-2019, 03:54 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by celestin
Hello Audi World,
Dear friends can any one help with the wiring diagram of the Audi A6 C5 we are stragling to get the window glasses operational.

Kind regards
It would be helpful posting this in the C5 forum
Old 07-16-2019, 07:32 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by persuader
3) This was the same with D4. When suspension is in comfort mode it does not drop at highway speeds (above 60ish).
@angrypengu I have individual mode with the lowest suspension setting (2 bars, can it go less?) with engine at "balanced", Steering "Sport". I assume you could have all settings to comfort except for suspension and have it at the lowest position if desired.
Old 07-16-2019, 07:33 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Solo118
@angrypengu I have individual mode with the lowest suspension setting (2 bars, can it go less?) with engine at "balanced", Steering "Sport". I assume you could have all settings to comfort except for suspension and have it at the lowest position if desired.
The suspension cannot be manually set lower than two bars.

It only gets to one bar when the vehicle is above a certain speed in any mode other than comfort (and with individual mode with the suspension not in comfort). With the individual setting with the suspension at comfort, the car will not drop at "speed" to save fuel and improve handling (to 1 bar).

Last edited by angrypengu; 07-16-2019 at 07:43 AM.