A8 / S8 (D5 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D5 Audi A8 Produced from 2017-Present
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No Bose in D5, but two versions of B&O options...

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2017, 08:50 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 711 Likes on 502 Posts
Default No Bose in D5, but two versions of B&O options...

So I'm reading through the Audi, Germany Price List that Jet posted (with the aid of the Google translator), and what do I find: no more Bose offered. Bose being replaced with a new standard set-up they call the "Audi Sound System" with 10 speakrs. The next step up is a 17-speaker B&O system (without the pop-up tweeters) priced at a modest 1,200 euros, followed by the big-boy 23-speaker B&O system priced at 6,500 euros. See rough German-to-English translated description of each system below---

Audi sound system -
10 speakers including centerpeaker and subwoofer, 6-channel amplifier with a total output of 180 watts
(Standard Equipment)

Bang & Olufsen premium sound system with 3D sound -
Sound reproduction over 17 speakers including 3D sound speakers, centerpeaker and subwoofer, 16-channel amplifier with a total output of 730 watts; spatial sound reproduction through the Soundfeature 3D sound for the fore-end. This is complemented by additional broadband speakers in the A-pillar, through the mid-range drivers and the Fraunhofer technology Symphoria. The 3D sound can be played back with all sources. An unprecedented authentic 3D surround experience is thus generated in the vehicle and thus gives the impression that you are sitting in one Concert hall.
1,200.00 euros

Bang & Olufsen Advanced Sound System with 3D sound -
Sound playback via 23 speakers including 3D sound front and rear; Speakers, centerpeakers and subwoofers with separate power amplifier and exclusive aluminum speaker covers as well as high-quality neodymium-magnet; Centerpeaker as well as 2 automatically extending acoustic lenses on the instrument panel for extremely detailed viewing acoustic performance at every seat:
• dynamic driving noise compensation; 23-channel BeoCore amplifier; highly efficient ICE power amplifiers with one Total output of 1,920 watts
• Spatial sound reproduction through the Soundfeature 3D sound front and rear. This is achieved by additional broadband-Loudspeakers in the A-pillar and in the roof behind, through the mid-range drivers and through the new Fraunhofer technology Symphoria 2.0 3D. The 3D sound can be played back with all sources. An almost unprecedentedly authentic stereo and 3D surround-experience is thus generated in the vehicle. Symphoria 2.0 3D supplements those dimensions that are necessary for a natural sound are indispensable: width, depth and height. This creates a pleasant feeling of space in the vehicle. At the same time, the physical limits of the passenger compartment seem to be solved: the vehicle interior is acoustically larger, music can unfold in its most primitive form.
6,500.00 euros
Old 10-10-2017, 04:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts

At the current exchange rate, that's $7665 USD for the "big boy" B&O system, at least in Germany. I would imagine it to be priced similarly (or less) for the U.S. I have the B&O system in my 2015 and love it. Not sure if I'd go for the Advanced B&O system in the D5 as the "premium" version may be enough for me (definitely not the "Audi" system!). I'll wait and see what reviews say about the difference between the two B&O's since I have to order mine without the benefit of listening to the two systems firsthand.
Old 10-12-2017, 05:12 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 579 Likes on 485 Posts

I will speculate that we won’t even see the base system in USA, the mid system will be our std as we think of Bose now, and premium will be the high end B&O. I think there is also a base system for D4 that we don’t see in USA, and I recall one for D3 too. If anything, assuming the mid system will be the USA default, I would think the take rate for the full on B&O will drop, maybe a lot. USA pricing is also typically less than Europe (and most of world), so I would also guess D5 B&O high end will price similarly to D4. D3 to D4 bump was like 5% IIRC.
Old 10-12-2017, 02:23 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 711 Likes on 502 Posts

Probably correct that the standard audio on the US spec D5 will be the “lesser” 17-speaker B&O system. Wonder how that sound compares to the Bose on the D4, which to my ear is/was very good.
The following users liked this post:
radders57 (05-03-2022)
Old 10-12-2017, 04:50 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by derfA8L
Probably correct that the standard audio on the US spec D5 will be the “lesser” 17-speaker B&O system. Wonder how that sound compares to the Bose on the D4, which to my ear is/was very good.
We'll only know when our cars arrive (or if our dealers somehow snag one before that)! I've had the B&O system in my last 3 A8L's but, if the mid-range B&O is the base system here, I'll order it.