A8 / S8 (D5 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D5 Audi A8 Produced from 2017-Present
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OBD11 on the D5

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2019, 08:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 158 Likes on 124 Posts

Angry,

Based upon your very useful and entertaining experiences with OBD11, or any other source, do you have an opinion regarding the current A8's software and hardware capabilities for eventual level 3 autonomous driving and auto self parking abilities? For example, I have read that (at least in the US) the matrix LED headlights are capable of automatically adjusting their beams to avoid shining at oncoming drivers' eyes while still maintaining long range illumination elsewhere. When US regulations are upgraded to allow for this capability, it can be activated for current vehicles. Are the other greater capabilities (hyped in early marketing pieces and reviews) of the A8 lying dormant (again, in the US) and await activation at some future point? Are they active already in some markets such as European countries?
Old 06-14-2019, 09:24 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 787 Likes on 574 Posts

Originally Posted by MorganMay
Angry,

Based upon your very useful and entertaining experiences with OBD11, or any other source, do you have an opinion regarding the current A8's software and hardware capabilities for eventual level 3 autonomous driving and auto self parking abilities? For example, I have read that (at least in the US) the matrix LED headlights are capable of automatically adjusting their beams to avoid shining at oncoming drivers' eyes while still maintaining long range illumination elsewhere. When US regulations are upgraded to allow for this capability, it can be activated for current vehicles. Are the other greater capabilities (hyped in early marketing pieces and reviews) of the A8 lying dormant (again, in the US) and await activation at some future point? Are they active already in some markets such as European countries?
Just an educated guess here based on your ask... The matrix LED lights cannot be activated using OBD11 and I am convinced that certain features are coded in such a way that only Audi themselves can edit. For example, I have gone through every single module probably 10 times and I am now convinced there is absolutely no way to disable auto start-stop. (that said, it's now built into my routine to just disable it as I put on my seat belt). The same goes with the Matrix LED high beam adaptability function - it's impossible to enable ourselves.

All that being said, I do not know if L3 semi autonomous driving is enabled yet across the pond, as with auto park pilot or whatever it's called. Last I read on the German D5 forum they are still waiting on it. The thing is, shortly after the D5 was launched, Audi announced that they halved the testing and development budget on the A6 (no mention of the A8) and I suspect a bunch of innovative features that would be coming to the D5 were quietly axed. For example, NFC lock/unlock is now not on any marketing literature, and we haven't heard anything about L3 driving as well for some time. That said, ALL of the features mentioned in this paragraph do indeed show up a bunch of times in OBD11 in various modules. So, I can certainly say with good authority that they were 'designed' to, at one point, make its way to the D5, but it seems like they just fell off the face of the Earth...so my guess is 50/50 on whether or not they make it here, but I would certainly caution against buying the D5 and expecting that they will eventually come to our cars. Personally, I bought the D5's exterior lighting package as an example, full well knowing that I will probably never get the adaptive high beam function enabled on my car...

As long as expectations are set conservatively, I think you'll/we'll be fine, but I would certainly not bank on anything actually coming....

IIRC none of the fancy features here (L3, park pilot etc) are on the D5's manual. The active predictive suspension has been there all along and as we now know they are coming on the 60 TFSI...so all things being equal, it's a 50/50 shot...at best, I think that these once announced features will make its way to production.
Old 07-04-2019, 06:50 PM
AudiWorld Super User

OBD11 update:

For the longest time I have been banging my head trying to figure out why the remote trunk close using the keyfob feature function stopped working. I narrowed it down.

This is the set of commands to do to improve keyfob range.

--

Key-fob Range Limitation

Description: Extend the range of the key fob
  • 46 - Central Module Comfort System
  • Long Coding
  • Change range_limitation_lock, range_limitation_rear, range_limitation_openrange_limitation_panic, and central_locking_system_requst_for_range_function to Not Active
  • Press and hold green check mark to accept
--

Please note, if you change range_limitation_rear to not active, the trunk will no longer close using the keyfob. I have since turned this back to Active.
Old 07-05-2019, 07:19 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Is OBDEleven compatible with iOS yet?

I am assuming the Amazon unit for $95 includes the app and everything? or is it a separate purchase
Old 07-05-2019, 07:20 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Solo118
Is OBDEleven compatible with iOS yet?

I am assuming the Amazon unit for $95 includes the app and everything? or is it a separate purchase
My understanding is the there is a new version of OBD11 that is compatible with iOS. It's called Nextgen

https://obdeleven.com/en/products-page
Old 07-05-2019, 07:37 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by angrypengu
My understanding is the there is a new version of OBD11 that is compatible with iOS. It's called Nextgen

https://obdeleven.com/en/products-page
Thanks, looks like it is not available just yet. I will keep my eyes peeled both on the link you sent and on amazon (for quicker shipping!)
Old 07-09-2019, 08:10 AM
AudiWorld Super User

For those of you with OBD11 and the Driver's Assistance Package, if you are willing to do a data dump of the OBD11 settings and provide them to me, I would be very grateful. It would help me reverse engineer how the modules talk with each other and give me a better understanding in order to potentially activate things that are currently disabled on all of our cars. For folks with the DAP, I'd like to see if I can find a way to enable the L3 semi autonomous driving features, including parking pilot.

I'm close, I think, but I need some more information.

A data dump is a very easy process and does not modify/change any values on your cars and carries with it little to no risk. The only risk is if you change a value by accident, but if so, it's easy to change back. I'm happy to walk anyone through it!
Old 07-09-2019, 12:39 PM
AudiWorld Member

I was able to do most of what you have done with the exception of "Switch off speed for parking assist increase: Success". Can you tell me how you got this to work?
Old 07-09-2019, 12:47 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by clintonm9
I was able to do most of what you have done with the exception of "Switch off speed for parking assist increase: Success". Can you tell me how you got this to work?
Of course! Here you go!

Go to the Central Electrics Module
Adapatation
"Switch off speed for parking assist"
Modify accordingly!

Good luck
Old 07-17-2019, 06:08 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Random tidbit about the D5:

Earlier in this thread I posted about the ability to enable the function in the MMI to allow the driver to control the seat position of the passenger by going to the MMI setting, choosing the passenger seat, and then using the driver's seat control, he/she can move the seat forward/backwards and enable the massage function.

This feature is not enabled by default but can be turned on through OBD11, which I have done. One can also allow the passenger to do the same thing, although I do not have this enabled as it wouldn't be used and also, it's not a safe thing in case one has a passenger who likes to be a bit of a child.

I have wondered why the heck this feature even exists, and what car this feature would be turned on by default.

I found my answer today.

If you look closely on the brand new A4, at time stamp 4:31 in this review, you can see in the MMI on the right hand side of the screen in the top right (ish) corner, you'll see an icon of two seats. Ta da! Found it. Not sure why it's enabled as default on the A4, but that would be why this setting exists in OBD11

Quick Reply: OBD11 on the D5