A8 / S8 (D5 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D5 Audi A8 Produced from 2017-Present
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thought I'd liven it up here a bit with this D5 video

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2017, 10:32 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 711 Likes on 502 Posts
Default Thought I'd liven it up here a bit with this D5 video

You may have already seen it, but it does show a bit of the exterior and interior lighting, as well as the "Level 2" Auto Pilot parking. Was fun for me! :^)

Old 08-03-2017, 05:30 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts

Nice video!
My observations and opinions about the exterior/interior styling of the D5:
- The profile view is much improved over the D4 with better and more sporty proportions, including shorter front overhang.
​​​​​​- interior is very high tech and functional but exudes no warmth, at least not in the color combinations shown so far
- Steering wheel design mimicking the shape of the front grille is ugly. Hopefully there's a 3-spoke option.
- Front LED DRL graphics are too simple compared to some recent models like the Q5.
- I like the rear end except for that uni-brow look created by the horizontal strip of light running the width of the trunklid. I like the light show they put on when the car is unlocked but I just don't like how it ruins the otherwise pretty rear end.
- The front grille shape is nice but at some point Audi has to decide when the grille is becoming too big. I think it should be 10% smaller.
- Interior ergonomics are a step backward in terms of placement of the central dash display being placed too low compared to the deployable screen on the D4 which puts the info nicely in the driver's line of sight.
- Trick dash vents reminiscent of the 2004 VW Phaeton are totally unnecessary. I would have rather seen exposed vents with some metallic accents to give the interior more character. The designers have tried their best to disguise the vents even in open position.
- I like how the wood trim strips extend from the dash to the front doors, but the flat rectangular strip along the top of the dash itself is dull and boring.
- I would love to see the interior in a warm brown color with burl walnut wood trim. I think it would look a lot better than the interior shown in all the promotional media so far.
- The 5-spoke rotor design wheel shown above is very nice. I personally prefer 5- or 7-spoke designs to busier designs with 18 or 20 spokes.

Last edited by Bada Bing; 08-03-2017 at 05:54 AM.
Old 08-04-2017, 07:03 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Bada Bing
Nice video!
My observations and opinions about the exterior/interior styling of the D5:
- The profile view is much improved over the D4 with better and more sporty proportions, including shorter front overhang.
​​​​​​- interior is very high tech and functional but exudes no warmth, at least not in the color combinations shown so far
- Steering wheel design mimicking the shape of the front grille is ugly. Hopefully there's a 3-spoke option.
- Front LED DRL graphics are too simple compared to some recent models like the Q5.
- I like the rear end except for that uni-brow look created by the horizontal strip of light running the width of the trunklid. I like the light show they put on when the car is unlocked but I just don't like how it ruins the otherwise pretty rear end.
- The front grille shape is nice but at some point Audi has to decide when the grille is becoming too big. I think it should be 10% smaller.
- Interior ergonomics are a step backward in terms of placement of the central dash display being placed too low compared to the deployable screen on the D4 which puts the info nicely in the driver's line of sight.
- Trick dash vents reminiscent of the 2004 VW Phaeton are totally unnecessary. I would have rather seen exposed vents with some metallic accents to give the interior more character. The designers have tried their best to disguise the vents even in open position.
- I like how the wood trim strips extend from the dash to the front doors, but the flat rectangular strip along the top of the dash itself is dull and boring.
- I would love to see the interior in a warm brown color with burl walnut wood trim. I think it would look a lot better than the interior shown in all the promotional media so far.
- The 5-spoke rotor design wheel shown above is very nice. I personally prefer 5- or 7-spoke designs to busier designs with 18 or 20 spokes.
For the first time in a long time in history of A8s I find this one a pretty much boring dud. Its so poorly designed it looks like a Lincoln Continental and even worse. I cannot understand who's in charge of designing the flagship here but its so BORING and GOD DAMN dull and ill proportioned with sharp front end and softy rear end and terrible side profile. Still too much front overhang and terrible wheel designs. Interior is nice but boring and I can't imagine all that fingerprints on the screens there. I like the MMI a lot on my D4 and D3 as well as my 2016 A7 but this car looks outdated and half-attempted in many ways. I understand its very tech advance but come on for god sake put some creativity in designing a beautiful flagship that the A8 deserves to be! This is not at all nice looking at the facelift D3 A8s or the D4 A8s...I might pass on this dud.
Old 08-05-2017, 11:50 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Your criticisms seem overly harsh, but you are entitled to your opinions on styling which is very subjective.

The front overhang seems to be shorter than on the D4, and I think the profile view is nicer than all previous A8 generations. With most Audi models designed on a FWD platform, the front overhang will never be as short as BMW or Mercedes, but I think the D5 looks fine, whereas the D4 front overhang was too long, I haven't seen trunk volume, but hopefully it's a lot bigger than the 12-13 cu ft of the D4 which put that flagship at the bottom among all its competitors. It was simply inexcusable that a car as large as the A8 L would have a trunk no bigger than the B8 A4 and a lot smaller than the A6's trunk. I know they repackaged the trunk area for the 2015 facelift to get an extra cu ft or so, but it was still smallest among competitors with 18-20 cu ft of trunk volume.

Interior is high tech but short on styling. I reserve final judgment until I see it in other color combinations with a warmer glossy wood trim color. I find it puzzling that the DRL graphics on the flagship sedan are less interesting than less expensive cars in the Audi family. Some of the wheel designs are nice. I do like the 5-spoke rotor design shown above on the video, but that looks like an older design that has been around a few years on many Audi models.

Originally Posted by Baloo588
For the first time in a long time in history of A8s I find this one a pretty much boring dud. Its so poorly designed it looks like a Lincoln Continental and even worse. I cannot understand who's in charge of designing the flagship here but its so BORING and GOD DAMN dull and ill proportioned with sharp front end and softy rear end and terrible side profile. Still too much front overhang and terrible wheel designs. Interior is nice but boring and I can't imagine all that fingerprints on the screens there. I like the MMI a lot on my D4 and D3 as well as my 2016 A7 but this car looks outdated and half-attempted in many ways. I understand its very tech advance but come on for god sake put some creativity in designing a beautiful flagship that the A8 deserves to be! This is not at all nice looking at the facelift D3 A8s or the D4 A8s...I might pass on this dud.
Old 08-07-2017, 05:01 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Your criticisms seem overly harsh, but you are entitled to your opinions on styling which is very subjective.

The front overhang seems to be shorter than on the D4, and I think the profile view is nicer than all previous A8 generations. With most Audi models designed on a FWD platform, the front overhang will never be as short as BMW or Mercedes, but I think the D5 looks fine, whereas the D4 front overhang was too long, I haven't seen trunk volume, but hopefully it's a lot bigger than the 12-13 cu ft of the D4 which put that flagship at the bottom among all its competitors. It was simply inexcusable that a car as large as the A8 L would have a trunk no bigger than the B8 A4 and a lot smaller than the A6's trunk. I know they repackaged the trunk area for the 2015 facelift to get an extra cu ft or so, but it was still smallest among competitors with 18-20 cu ft of trunk volume.

Interior is high tech but short on styling. I reserve final judgment until I see it in other color combinations with a warmer glossy wood trim color. I find it puzzling that the DRL graphics on the flagship sedan are less interesting than less expensive cars in the Audi family. Some of the wheel designs are nice. I do like the 5-spoke rotor design shown above on the video, but that looks like an older design that has been around a few years on many Audi models.
You are right I was being a bit harsh. I will wait to see it in person in the right color and option combo. I feel they didn't do a good job in capturing the A8 with the best colors and wheel options on that video so I was a bit let down. IT doesn't look very upscale in red at all. The interior is very nice and modern and I like how they integrate the MMI with the new layout and gives it a more futuristic appeal. Hopefully the set up wont be laggy as the preproduction models.

The more I search for pictures from the actual reveal even in Barcelona the more I like the A8s presence.

See below:

https://www.kbb.com/car-news/all-the...na/2100004408/

Those cars look much better with the right rims and colors especially that blue one!
Old 08-07-2017, 10:25 PM
AudiWorld Super User

The blue car in that KBB photo gallery looks really sharp and the wheels are nice and sporty too. I agree that the red color is not the best choice for a car this large, but it's not a typical red, so it may look OK in real life.

Last edited by Bada Bing; 08-08-2017 at 06:25 AM.
Old 08-08-2017, 03:15 AM
AudiWorld Super User

The blue car in that KBB photo gallery looks really sharp and the wheels are nice and sporty too. I agree that the red color is not the best choice for a car this large, bug it's not a typical red, so it may look OK in real life.
This red looks much better and gives the car much more presence under these lighting conditions. Almost reminds me of the Andorra Red Mica color on my long gone 1998 A6. Wonder if this is an Audi Exclusive color?
Attached Thumbnails Thought I'd liven it up here a bit with this D5 video-image.jpeg  
Old 08-08-2017, 09:36 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by derfA8L
This red looks much better and gives the car much more presence under these lighting conditions. Almost reminds me of the Andorra Red Mica color on my long gone 1998 A6. Wonder if this is an Audi Exclusive color?
Still that color and wheels make it look too old school and outdated. No offense but if Audi wants to have that attractive look like the latest S-class then it cannot keep doing this stately and understated look for too long. I dont want Audi to get to comfortable with the sales gains in USA and the world. Look at BMW getting beating up in Germany and USA with falling auto sales because their newer 5 series and 7 series are boring and look too much like their predecessors and while they are improved technology wise like the new A8, the styling is so less desired by the consumers that the buyers are going to other brands which is hurting BMW. However. Audi still got that exciting look across their line up with all the models being unique and different from each other. I just am cautious and dont want Audi to trickle down this look too much into the A7 and A6. We have all 3 in our house right now, A6, A7 and A8 and we love them all and find them very unique and different in their own personality yet unmistakably an Audi. I am reading that Audi wants to differentiate the 3 cars more in the next generation but keep that unique Audi character which I agree with. BUT, I expect more exciting redesign of the A6 and A7 to follow this A8 footsteps.
Old 08-09-2017, 07:10 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Baloo588
...We have all 3 in our house right now, A6, A7 and A8 and we love them all and find them very unique and different in their own personality yet unmistakably an Audi. I am reading that Audi wants to differentiate the 3 cars more in the next generation but keep that unique Audi character which I agree with. BUT, I expect more exciting redesign of the A6 and A7 to follow this A8 footsteps.

Next gen 2019 A7 spyshot...Differentiated from D5 A8, but still Audi in design character.
Attached Thumbnails Thought I'd liven it up here a bit with this D5 video-audi-a7-spy-shots.jpg  
Old 08-09-2017, 10:41 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by derfA8L
Next gen 2019 A7 spyshot...Differentiated from D5 A8, but still Audi in design character.
Unfortunately it looks like the strip of light running across the trunklid from the D5 A8 is trickling down to the A7 too. The lighting pattern when the car is unlocked is cool, but I just don't like that uni-brow look which reminds me of some Chrysler cars which have taillights spanning the entire width of the car.

Quick Reply: Thought I'd liven it up here a bit with this D5 video