A8 / S8 (D5 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D5 Audi A8 Produced from 2017-Present
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

U.S. to finally allow full matrix headlights

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2018, 01:21 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 779 Likes on 571 Posts

Originally Posted by derfA8L
Based on the A8 Order Guide and the Audi USA configurator, the standard headlamps are not Matrix units, but normal LEDs with the high beam assistant. The optional Lighting Package adds the HD Matrix-design LED Headlights. My guess is that they're being called "Matrix-design" because the full matrix capability is turned off on North American spec cars until the U.S. and Canadian regs are officially changed and go into effect. The fact that they are bringing over already installed HD (High Definition) units on cars equipped with the optional Lighting Package does suggest that these HD units have hidden full-Matrix capability, and as such can be re-coded by dealers (or via a direct vehicle link to Germany connected at the dealership) to activate them--in effect changing them from "Matrix-design" to actual fully-functioning Matrix units.

As reported in the article I posted this morning ("4 features the 2019 Audi A8 won't get, at least for now"): "The A8 has the hardware in place with the available lighting package. Audi will just turn it on when the regulation goes into effect."

I guess we shall find out one way or the other pretty soon.
Thanks for the clarification. I can't seem to read anywhere if there is a difference in brightness with the normal LEDs with high beam assist versus the HD Matrix Design ones. Any idea?
Old 10-17-2018, 01:23 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

Originally Posted by angrypengu
No. The MB system is just like the Matrix LED system on the Audi, but they cannot, as per regulation, in Canada/US, have the ability to have the high beams on all the time and to specifically turn off portions for ongoing cars. The assistant simply turns high beams 100% on or 100% off based on glare/traffic. It's a neutered system.
Yeah, I did some more research after I posted this. I'm curious about this, because I'm looking at the 2019 C63 S for my next car. MB actually has a new system called multibeam LED, which appears what is the equivalent to Audi's matrix light. The highbeam assist system is a precursor. It isn't as binary as you suggest, though. It gradually turns off the highbeams to not cause glare for oncoming traffic. It gradually shortens the length of the highbeams as it sees cars ahead or oncoming instead of turning off portions of the "matrix". So it's not quite as neutered. The above screenshot was from the 2018 C63 S. Wondering now what they gonna put in the 2019 for the US/Canada market in light of the upcoming regulations. They have a better illustration of the highbeam assist for the E63 S and it shows how it can alter the beam pattern.

Last edited by superswiss; 10-17-2018 at 01:26 PM.
Old 10-17-2018, 01:29 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by superswiss
Yeah, I did some more research after I posted this. I'm curious about this, because I'm looking at the 2019 C63 S for my next car. MB actually has a new system called multibeam LED, which appears what is the equivalent to Audi's matrix light. The highbeam assist system is a precursor. It isn't as binary as you suggest, though. It gradually turns off the highbeams to not cause glare for oncoming traffic. It gradually shortens the length of the highbeams as it sees cars ahead or oncoming instead of turning off portions of the "matrix". So it's not quite as neutered. The above screenshot was from the 2018 C63 S. Wondering now what they gonna put in the 2019 for the US/Canada market in light of the upcoming regulations. They have a better illustration of the highbeam assist for the E63 S and it shows how it can alter the beam pattern.

I'm fairly certain that in the 2018 model that it was still binary.

All of my experience on this topic is on the 2018 S and E class and it would surprise me if the W205 had this adaptability. My understanding for MB is that this feature only behaves in this manner in MY19. That said I am 120% all in for awesome headlights as I drive almost exclusively at night
Old 02-11-2019, 07:03 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Some news, I guess, for the US, and Canada on this.

As per: https://www.nytimes.com/2018/11/21/b...igh-beams.html

US:Those interested in commenting on the proposed rule-making can do so until Dec. 11. Most of the comments so far are of the “What took you so long?” variety.Allowing time to incorporate industry comments and standards modifications, many of the interested parties expect that A.D.B. headlamps won’t be legal for 18 to 24 months. Once they are, they should be quickly available.

Canada:

While Canada typically follows United States vehicle safety standards, it decided this year to allow A.D.B. headlamps that conform to the European system.
Old 02-11-2019, 09:05 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I cant find it right now, but do you all see the video of the guy talking about the new X led in the headlights? Maybe it was a laser light? Should that be on?
Old 02-11-2019, 09:06 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by clintonm9
I cant find it right now, but do you all see the video of the guy talking about the new X led in the headlights? Maybe it was a laser light? Should that be on?
Yes, he is referencing Audi Laser Light, which is completely banned in North America. That exists only in the UK, or the R8 in the US.
Old 02-11-2019, 10:53 AM
AudiWorld Member

So do we have any thoughts on when the laser lighting would work in the US? Is that a different thing than A.D.B?
Old 02-11-2019, 11:01 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by clintonm9
So do we have any thoughts on when the laser lighting would work in the US? Is that a different thing than A.D.B?
Yes it's different. Completely different headlight assembly !

No idea when matrix headlights will be approved though.. ..
Old 02-11-2019, 11:19 AM
AudiWorld Member

It frustrated me a little bit that the US website for Audi talks about all these features when you can't even use them.
Old 02-11-2019, 12:30 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 711 Likes on 502 Posts

Originally Posted by angrypengu
Yes, he is referencing Audi Laser Light, which is completely banned in North America. That exists only in the UK, or the R8 in the US.
I believe the lazer light is also available on the new A7 in the U.S.

Last edited by derfA8L; 02-11-2019 at 12:34 PM.

Quick Reply: U.S. to finally allow full matrix headlights