A8 / S8 (D5 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D5 Audi A8 Produced from 2017-Present
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

U.S. to finally allow full matrix headlights

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2018, 04:43 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 711 Likes on 502 Posts
Default U.S. to finally allow full matrix headlights

Found this today in the news. From the Motor Authority article:

While automakers have implemented advanced headlight technology in other markets for years, outdated regulations in the United States have kept advances from the market. That will soon change as the U.S. will soon allow self-dimming adaptive headlight technology.

The National Highway Traffic and Safety Administration officially proposed the new regulation on October 11, commenting that the technology "has the potential to reduce the risk of crashes by increasing visibility without increasing glare."

The headlights discussed are what many automakers refer to as "matrix" systems. Numerous individual LEDs make up the headlight, which enable a constant high beam to be projected but with automatic dimming so other road users aren't blinded. Typically, an onboard camera processes the road ahead and gives the headlights instructions on where dimming is required.

For instance, the headlight can dim one portion to keep from blinding the car in front and an oncoming vehicle, while other LEDs stay fully lit for optimal coverage. It helps drivers keep an eye on other potential hazards and can also help keep pedestrians safer on the road.

Currently in the U.S., cars need to have separate high- and low-beam settings. The matrix-style headlights don't meet this rule as they operate as a single function that handles both low- and high-beams.

The new regulations come after numerous vehicles sold in the U.S. have underperformed in headlight testing. The Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS) has delivered dozens of "poor" ratings for vehicles with sub-par headlights. Only premium vehicles with full LED headlights have walked away from tests with "acceptable" or "good" ratings. Automakers first began lobbying for the change in 2016.
Old 10-16-2018, 12:08 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts

I wonder what the timeframe will be to allow this technology to be used here....My D5 is in port (RI) now so waiting to see if it's held up due to the emissions issues that the VW Group (and others) have been having. I'll be curious to find out if this particular D5 is capable of using its matrix headlights to its full capabilities by having it activated by an Audi technician (after the regulation is in place and allows the matrix system's use). That would be a best-case scenario for sure. Worst case (and more likely) is that the headlight system on my D5 will "look" like a matrix headlight setup but essentially be neutered---and would cost thousands of $$$ to upgrade.
Old 10-16-2018, 03:16 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Have your dealer ask the regional Audi rep about this. The rep can get an answer to this. I’m thinking that Audi knew this was coming and hopefully is installing full matrix units that can be re-coded.
Old 10-16-2018, 04:29 PM
AudiWorld Member

I did exactly that after I posted earlier. He's going to ask about it and let me know. I'll update here with what I find out.
Old 10-16-2018, 05:31 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

The interesting part is that Mercedes and I think BMW as well, have been able to sell these kinds of lights in the USA for a while. They might have been able to get away with it, by being smarter than Audi and design their systems such that technically they have separate low and high beam functions, but then have an "assistant" that automatically turns off the high beams. However the way they describe them sounds exactly like matrix lights. They alter the beam pattern to avoid glare.

Old 10-16-2018, 05:31 PM
AudiWorld Member

I just did some research and read that the matrix technology hardware is ready to go in Audis that are so-equipped. It's turned off and is easily turned on by the dealers. I'll confirm via my dealer soon.
Old 10-17-2018, 02:42 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by gb4.2
I just did some research and read that the matrix technology hardware is ready to go in Audis that are so-equipped. It's turned off and is easily turned on by the dealers. I'll confirm via my dealer soon.
This is what is also confirmed (?) in the info I just posted. Looks good that you’ll ultimately have this feature on your new car :-))
“...A8 has the hardware in place with the available lighting package. Audi will just turn it on when the regulation goes into effect.”
Old 10-17-2018, 12:31 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 786 Likes on 573 Posts

Interestingly enough, Mercedes Canada has said "no" to turning on this feature for cars that had it disabled due to government regulations.
Old 10-17-2018, 12:32 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 786 Likes on 573 Posts

Originally Posted by superswiss
The interesting part is that Mercedes and I think BMW as well, have been able to sell these kinds of lights in the USA for a while. They might have been able to get away with it, by being smarter than Audi and design their systems such that technically they have separate low and high beam functions, but then have an "assistant" that automatically turns off the high beams. However the way they describe them sounds exactly like matrix lights. They alter the beam pattern to avoid glare.

No. The MB system is just like the Matrix LED system on the Audi, but they cannot, as per regulation, in Canada/US, have the ability to have the high beams on all the time and to specifically turn off portions for ongoing cars. The assistant simply turns high beams 100% on or 100% off based on glare/traffic. It's a neutered system.
Old 10-17-2018, 01:19 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by angrypengu
No. The MB system is just like the Matrix LED system on the Audi, but they cannot, as per regulation, in Canada/US, have the ability to have the high beams on all the time and to specifically turn off portions for ongoing cars. The assistant simply turns high beams 100% on or 100% off based on glare/traffic. It's a neutered system.
Essentially correct--BUT as it relates to the D5 A8...
Based on the A8 Order Guide and the Audi USA configurator, the standard headlamps are not Matrix units, but normal LEDs with the high beam assistant. The optional Lighting Package adds the HD Matrix-design LED Headlights. My guess is that they're being called "Matrix-design" because the full matrix capability is turned off on North American spec cars until the U.S. and Canadian regs are officially changed and go into effect. The fact that they are bringing over already installed HD (High Definition) units on cars equipped with the optional Lighting Package does suggest that these HD units have hidden full-Matrix capability, and as such can be re-coded by dealers (or via a direct vehicle link connected at the local dealership to Audi Germany) in order to activate them--in effect changing them from "Matrix-design" to actual fully-functioning Matrix units.

As reported in the article I posted this morning ("4 features the 2019 Audi A8 won't get, at least for now"): "The A8 has the hardware in place with the available lighting package. Audi will just turn it on when the regulation goes into effect."

I guess we shall find out one way or the other pretty soon.

Additional--- This all still doesn't address Audi's potential U.S. availability of the HD Matrix with Laser Light headlamp units currently an option in Europe/UK. The laser function works to enhance the high-beam distance control of the HD Matrix units, apparently increasing lighting safety on dark roadways.

Last edited by derfA8L; 10-17-2018 at 02:06 PM. Reason: changing attachment

Quick Reply: U.S. to finally allow full matrix headlights