A8 / S8 (D5 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D5 Audi A8 Produced from 2017-Present
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The V6 vs v8 conundrum

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2019, 05:38 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 779 Likes on 571 Posts

Originally Posted by derfA8L
A bit of an update on my initial impressions of the new V6–

Had a Q8 loaner this past weekend. As most know, it has the same 3.0T twin-scroll single turbo motor as the V6 A8. While it has been 4 months since I test drove the D5 with this engine, my opinion remains the same: that this V6 doesn’t cut it in either vehicle—at least for my own needs and expectations. Yes, the 3.0T V6 has “adequate” power (for most situations), BUT...it just doesn’t feel quite right in either vehicle after driving my 4.0T twin turbo V8. The V6, just feels less grown-up to me, and doesn’t feel as refined (smooth and silky), nor does it have the grunt I get with the V8 across the entire power band. For those who have the D5 55 TSFI (3.0T) and find it with adequate (or enough) power, I totally get it. However, for me, this recent turn behind the wheel, again, with this engine (admittedly not in the D5 this time, but in a Q8) just reaffirms my original impression—that I couldn’t be happy in a D5 without the V8–nor in a Q8 for that matter.
All fair points, both here and upthread! I've been thinking about this thread this last little bit and before I comment, all opinions are always valid. We all have different needs and expectations!

I found myself, today, in a bit of an interesting scenario. I feel, for my needs, that the 55 TFSI (V6) is sufficient for my needs 95% of the time. The grunt from the BSG gives me the torque I need down low, but today I did find myself in a bit of an interesting scenario - I needed to change lanes, and had a car barreling down the lane I was changing into. Sometimes I forget what car I'm in, anyways - went to go and floor it. The transmission in the D5 is a bit slow to downshift (probably my fault as I had it in comfort mode), but what I did feel was a bit lacking was actually high end umph (namely above 5000rpm). Given the emergency nature of my maneuver I cannot say if it ended up redlining it (was busy cleaning up my pants), but, to me, that was the one time I thought about the V8.

I was speaking to my sales person as I ran into him the other day. He literally said - once the V8 comes in I'm sure you'll (me) want to drive it. I'll text you and you can come on over. I laughed, thought about this thread, and laughed some more.

I drove the D4 4.0T for a few hours back in 2018 and I certainly noted the torque and oomph. Maybe I'm living in an inappropriate parallel universe where I don't think the D5 V6 is all that different from the D4 4.0T between idle and 4000rpm, but I very well could be wrong and I accept that.

Is the above worth another $10K or whatever it is? For me, surprisingly, yes. The thing that keeps me from the V8, and has kept me from waiting for the V8 wasn't the dollar figure actually, but more of the concerns I have in regards to potential reliability. I am confident they are unfounded worries, but my thought is the V6 is used for several models in the VAG/Porsche family, so my belief (just my gut) telle ms the V6 should be more reliable.

In the end, like life, everything is a gamble. I have no idea how reliable (or not) the V6 or V8 will be, but if I were a betting man, (which I am not), I'd bank on the V6, which is why I chose what I chose.

To each their own. Personally, I can't wait to drive the S8. (D5)....own one? No thanks, but to drive? Yes please!
Old 06-16-2019, 06:51 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 711 Likes on 502 Posts

Originally Posted by angrypengu
...I needed to change lanes, and had a car barreling down the lane I was changing into. Sometimes I forget what car I'm in, anyways - went to go and floor it. The transmission in the D5 is a bit slow to downshift (probably my fault as I had it in comfort mode), but what I did feel was a bit lacking was actually high end umph (namely above 5000rpm). Given the emergency nature of my maneuver I cannot say if it ended up redlining it (was busy cleaning up my pants), but, to me, that was the one time I thought about the V8...
Yup, I totally understand. Coincidentally a very similar scenario happened to me this past Friday on the L.I. Expressway as I was headed to my dealer for my scheduled service appointment. The V8 got me out of trouble with, shall we say its characteristically nonchalant aplomb, with no drama, confident and effortless power and speed. No change in undergarments needed, LOL!
Old 06-16-2019, 07:56 PM
gk1
AudiWorld Super User

Received 515 Likes on 450 Posts

Interesting...in those same veins... I had a B5 S4 with its (for the time) sweet little 250 HP 258 lb-ft 2.7T and I switched to a B7 A4 with the 2.0T that I coincidentally felt was “enough” power at 200 HP and 207 lb-ft. I figured, like you, the 2.0T was becoming the more common and reliable workhorse. But just like you there were certain circumstances where that 2.0T just wasn’t enough and reliability of the 2.0T was nothing remarkable. Now that I’ve moved onto an S6 nothing short of a rocket powered car is likely to keep me happy...reliability be damned. LOL.
Old 06-17-2019, 10:22 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 61 Likes on 42 Posts

All fair points, both here and upthread! I've been thinking about this thread this last little bit and before I comment, all opinions are always valid. We all have different needs and expectations!

I found myself, today, in a bit of an interesting scenario. I feel, for my needs, that the 55 TFSI (V6) is sufficient for my needs 95% of the time. The grunt from the BSG gives me the torque I need down low, but today I did find myself in a bit of an interesting scenario - I needed to change lanes, and had a car barreling down the lane I was changing into. Sometimes I forget what car I'm in, anyways - went to go and floor it. The transmission in the D5 is a bit slow to downshift (probably my fault as I had it in comfort mode), but what I did feel was a bit lacking was actually high end umph (namely above 5000rpm). Given the emergency nature of my maneuver I cannot say if it ended up redlining it (was busy cleaning up my pants), but, to me, that was the one time I thought about the V8.

I was speaking to my sales person as I ran into him the other day. He literally said - once the V8 comes in I'm sure you'll (me) want to drive it. I'll text you and you can come on over. I laughed, thought about this thread, and laughed some more.

I drove the D4 4.0T for a few hours back in 2018 and I certainly noted the torque and oomph. Maybe I'm living in an inappropriate parallel universe where I don't think the D5 V6 is all that different from the D4 4.0T between idle and 4000rpm, but I very well could be wrong and I accept that.

Is the above worth another $10K or whatever it is? For me, surprisingly, yes. The thing that keeps me from the V8, and has kept me from waiting for the V8 wasn't the dollar figure actually, but more of the concerns I have in regards to potential reliability. I am confident they are unfounded worries, but my thought is the V6 is used for several models in the VAG/Porsche family, so my belief (just my gut) telle ms the V6 should be more reliable.

In the end, like life, everything is a gamble. I have no idea how reliable (or not) the V6 or V8 will be, but if I were a betting man, (which I am not), I'd bank on the V6, which is why I chose what I chose.

To each their own. Personally, I can't wait to drive the S8. (D5)....own one? No thanks, but to drive? Yes please!

I have been living with the D5 A8L with the V6 and the 4 wheel steering for now my 4th week. At first I thought I would really really miss the D4 S8 grunt.
But in daily driving mix of city/highway and the jaunts to NYC / BOS, the V6 is more than enough. The BSG is really nice, and getting out of situations where I need immediate response is effortless.
The fuel economy compared to the 4.0TT is also remarkable.

I drove the S8 yesterday and immediately noticed the difference in steering and suspension suppleness. Yes, more power, but it almost felt jerky / harsh compared to the D5.
Old 06-17-2019, 05:15 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by audisession
I have been living with the D5 A8L with the V6 and the 4 wheel steering for now my 4th week. At first I thought I would really really miss the D4 S8 grunt.
But in daily driving mix of city/highway and the jaunts to NYC / BOS, the V6 is more than enough. The BSG is really nice, and getting out of situations where I need immediate response is effortless.
The fuel economy compared to the 4.0TT is also remarkable.

I drove the S8 yesterday and immediately noticed the difference in steering and suspension suppleness. Yes, more power, but it almost felt jerky / harsh compared to the D5.
While I am less enthusiastic about the V6 I must agree that the fuel economy is exceptional. Today I did a 3 1/2 hour road trip. Over the first 166 miles I averaged 30.3 mpg and more than half of that distance the cruise control was set at 78. I reduced it to 74 when I crossed into another state with a lower speed limit. I ran into hills later but over the entire ride I averaged 29.5 mpg. As it breaks in it just gets better. I don't remember the last time I owned a car getting better mileage than the EPA estimate. I miss the torque of the V8 but there is no arguing the efficiency of the V6.

Last edited by ArchieStanton; 06-17-2019 at 06:34 PM.
Old 06-18-2019, 06:13 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Taken during yesterday's trip. Not bad!
Old 06-21-2019, 11:11 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Hi folks,

I've been thinking ad nauseum lately about the whole V6 vs V8 conundrum that have been brought up by several members lately. I know that some have been waiting for the V8 and am certainly pleased that the order guides are indicating that they are just about to be order-able.

I was just wondering (and I see this on the Q8 forums too) what precisely is keeping some prospective buyers away from the V6. Based on the performance of the V6 (again, just my subjective opinion and with all due respect) and the BSG, I'm sitting here wondering what it is that V8 owners/waiters are seeking that is missing with the V6. Here where I live, I have the blessing/nightmare of being able to drive on the most expensive toll road in NA which allows me to hit speeds that are well in excess of what US highways allow me to hit. Based on my day to day driving, and I still have not revved my D5 to the redline due to break in procedures, I am trying to simply understand why anyone feels a V6 is lacking. I don't like bringing this up, but I have on very rare occassions. I am not someone who is adverse to fast cars. I love them, and have a 2018 R8 V10 Plus as my other Audi. I have never and will never compare a R8 to an A8, but I'm seriously trying to figure out why a subset of the population feels a V8 A8 is the way to go.

Just looking for opinions to broaden my understanding - that's all! Many on the Q8 board feel the same way and I have only driven a Q8 once or twice. I understand the start-stop lag is a pain and as many know by now I don't use that stupid (sorry, passionate about that) system! So I don't really know why the V6 is lacking!

Thoughts? Comments? Certainly well appreciated!

Thanks!
As you know i owe the 2015 Audi A8 V6 Supercharger.
Its adequate enough. I had gone speeds over 120 mph got caught twice for speeding almost lost my license.
Anyway, my A8 v6 3.0 330hp has a lot of power. I feel no lag and takes off like a jet.
It responses when i need it, no lag.
I love my A8. Well of course, the V8 has more power as you mentioned with your R8 v10 with its superb power.
Having so much hp need to be careful because people can easily lose control of the vehicle.
I raced before and know how the car respond to high torque being a rear wheel drive the tail always move away from you and knowing how to straighten the car is the utmost iportance.
The awd is different and felt as it went to my right i had to steer to my right to straighten the car.
Beautiful response and a smooth ride..
Old 06-26-2019, 10:27 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi folks,

I've been thinking ad nauseum lately about the whole V6 vs V8 conundrum that have been brought up by several members lately. I know that some have been waiting for the V8 and am certainly pleased that the order guides are indicating that they are just about to be order-able.

I was just wondering (and I see this on the Q8 forums too) what precisely is keeping some prospective buyers away from the V6. Based on the performance of the V6 (again, just my subjective opinion and with all due respect) and the BSG, I'm sitting here wondering what it is that V8 owners/waiters are seeking that is missing with the V6. Here where I live, I have the blessing/nightmare of being able to drive on the most expensive toll road in NA which allows me to hit speeds that are well in excess of what US highways allow me to hit. Based on my day to day driving, and I still have not revved my D5 to the redline due to break in procedures, I am trying to simply understand why anyone feels a V6 is lacking. I don't like bringing this up, but I have on very rare occassions. I am not someone who is adverse to fast cars. I love them, and have a 2018 R8 V10 Plus as my other Audi. I have never and will never compare a R8 to an A8, but I'm seriously trying to figure out why a subset of the population feels a V8 A8 is the way to go.

Just looking for opinions to broaden my understanding - that's all! Many on the Q8 board feel the same way and I have only driven a Q8 once or twice. I understand the start-stop lag is a pain and as many know by now I don't use that stupid (sorry, passionate about that) system! So I don't really know why the V6 is lacking!

Thoughts? Comments? Certainly well appreciated!

Thanks!
For me it's about the effortless and seemingly endless power the TT V8 provides. There's no doubt, the TT V6 is far more than "adequate". With a 0-60 time of ~5.6 seconds, that puts it near supercar territory from 30 years ago, so I'm not buying the argument that people "need" the power of the V8 for safety (i.e. merging onto highways, changing lanes and needing to accelerate quickly, making a right turn into traffic, etc). I owned a D4 4.0t and the effortless power it provides is intoxicating. When it came time to trade out of it (it was coming up on the end of the warranty period) I was looking to replace it with a pre-owned D4 S8, but couldn't find one that I liked for the right price. I would have considered a D5, but not with the V6, so that wasn't an option either. I ended up going with a 2 year old pre-owned E63s (talk about effortless power.... it's just brutally fast). The E63s a blast to drive, but I do miss the relative comfort of the A8. When it comes time to swap out my E63, I'll definitely look at the A8, but would only consider the V8. Not because I "need" it. But because I like it much better than the v6.
Old 07-04-2019, 05:55 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Get the v8, I wish I did. I am getting horrible mileage too, so it really was not a good choice (not that I had one, as I got one of the first A8 in the northeast)