A8 / S8 (D5 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D5 Audi A8 Produced from 2017-Present
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What to do? - D5 reliability concerns.

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2018, 12:43 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 786 Likes on 573 Posts

Originally Posted by derfA8L

If you’re specifically referring to the clicking noise coming from the center console stack, then I’m sure that if it’s an issue that’s surfacing with some frequency, then there will indeed be a TSB coming out on that which would render the diagnosis and fix pretty straightforward.

It appears from a number of your posts that you do have some concerns regarding the D5’s build quality. After all, this is a new model and there may be a production issue specific to this noise problem, or other similar problems. With all the new tech, there may be other blips that surface even more serious than a cabin skeak. If you still are considering the A8 and can hold off on ordering one now, then wait and see what gets posted here by D5 AW members as they get some actual time with their new cars. We already know that one had an issue with an AC vent mechanism prior to delivery. If you can’t wait for a few months, then it might be time to move on to a different brand/model. In the end it’s your decision, but don’t drive yourself to distraction 😉. On a lighter note, my dealer’s service manager, who knows all my car quirks, handed me some insulation strips from a padding/insulation kit he got from Audi. Have used the pieces from time to time on my last few A8’s with much success allowing my sanity to remain intact—well mostly intact!!!
Thanks. I strongly believe I will end up doing as you say. To me, the D5 A8 is the car I want, but you're absolutely right. The teething issues are to be expected here, as is with any carmaker. I'm trying to have my cake and eat it too.........................

Sadly, life doesn't work this way. We'll see if I can resist buying the D5 once I drive it, and if I can, I may wait a year or two, as you suggest. I don't think I am capable of buying the S class which is a great/reliable car, but not one I'm madly in love with. I suspect this love affair between the D5 and me will intensify.

I wish I had a cheaper hobby.

Old 11-02-2018, 12:59 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 711 Likes on 502 Posts

Originally Posted by angrypengu
... I suspect this love affair between the D5 and me will intensify. I wish I had a cheaper hobby.
Sadly, you and I are “birds of a feather.” 😂
Old 11-03-2018, 02:57 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks. I strongly believe I will end up doing as you say. To me, the D5 A8 is the car I want, but you're absolutely right. The teething issues are to be expected here, as is with any carmaker. I'm trying to have my cake and eat it too.........................

Sadly, life doesn't work this way. We'll see if I can resist buying the D5 once I drive it, and if I can, I may wait a year or two, as you suggest. I don't think I am capable of buying the S class which is a great/reliable car, but not one I'm madly in love with. I suspect this love affair between the D5 and me will intensify.

I wish I had a cheaper hobby.

One thing we will all love is the advanced ACC and Predictive Energy Assistant (came on in the old A7 a few years ago). It's spooky how intelligent the ACC approaches bends and turns, it also REALLY wants to keep to the speed limits even when they change (a good safety feature which I would say has improved my calmness in the car even more).

Good luck on your quest.
Old 11-06-2018, 02:09 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, my post facelift D4 has spent a good amount of time at the dealership. So much so, I've started the buy back procedures.

Audi may make mostly reliable cars, but it has not turned out that way for me. For me to buy another S8 in the future, Audi REALLY needs to take care of me.
Old 11-08-2018, 09:00 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jetinder
One thing we will all love is the advanced ACC and Predictive Energy Assistant (came on in the old A7 a few years ago). It's spooky how intelligent the ACC approaches bends and turns, it also REALLY wants to keep to the speed limits even when they change (a good safety feature which I would say has improved my calmness in the car even more).

Good luck on your quest.
Funny, that is one of my least favorite features. Where I drive the speed limit changes constantly, and the ACC keeps changing when I do not want it to. There are certain areas where we have 25mph speed limits, but everybody goes 40, so it slows down automatically which is really annoying. There are several features I wish that could just be turned off, but the car will not allow.

Also on my car, it seems like the steering does NOT want to take over until the absolute last second before hitting a curb (or worse).... I even tried moving out of my lane a little bit and it will not nudge me back until I am way over info the next lane. I may have to play with the settings a little bit to warn me a bit earlier, but I did not have to do this with any of my previous cars.
Old 11-08-2018, 09:22 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Solo118
Funny, that is one of my least favorite features. Where I drive the speed limit changes constantly, and the ACC keeps changing when I do not want it to. There are certain areas where we have 25mph speed limits, but everybody goes 40, so it slows down automatically which is really annoying. There are several features I wish that could just be turned off, but the car will not allow.

Also on my car, it seems like the steering does NOT want to take over until the absolute last second before hitting a curb (or worse).... I even tried moving out of my lane a little bit and it will not nudge me back until I am way over info the next lane. I may have to play with the settings a little bit to warn me a bit earlier, but I did not have to do this with any of my previous cars.
Can you turn off the speed. Limit thing?
Old 11-21-2018, 04:32 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Latest info from the German forum

1) Pre-sense issues/speed sign recognition issues regularly off in the morning. No fog, nothing.
2) Comfort function for getting in and out causing issues with the driver/passenger seat regularly in the wrong position when getting in the car
3) Some rumbling in the rear shelf. Nothing in the trunk.
4) On one trip the bass was completely missing (audio)
5) Street map missing in the headsup display - simply disappeared from the HUD
6) Calendar shots no appointments
7) (this is a common thing I have heard with VAG implementation of radar guided cruise control and such) - very vulnerable to snow and thus degraded performance

The individual who posted all of this indicated he is starting to regret the purchase.

IMHO nothing above strikes me as anything abnormal. It's all typically Audi, especially for a new car. Most of which appears to be software related, so it doesn't bother me one bit.

^the above bit and comments in this thread reinforce my decision to avoid the driver's assistance package.

Last edited by angrypengu; 11-21-2018 at 04:40 PM.
Old 12-12-2018, 06:53 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Not that I know of, if it sees a lower speed limit the car will automatically slow down, then you have to manually increase the limit on the stalk to get to the speed you want. Overall not a big issue, but annoying as I can cruise 40mph in the tunnel, and all of the sudden it will slow down to 25mph, which I am sure pisses off the people behind me. I know I should be following the speed limit, but in NYC it works a little different. If we have any chance of an open road, we all tend to speed as it is usually bumper to bumper traffic.
Old 12-12-2018, 08:44 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 711 Likes on 502 Posts

Looks like it can be turned OFF on the new A5 in MMI settings. Should think it could be done in the D5's MMI settings, no?

From a Cars.com review of the 2018 A5:

"Predictive Control is a part of the adaptive cruise control system, and it offers three settings with different levels of intervention: Off, On and With Tolerance. When switched off, nothing happens (of course), but the other two settings work along with the traffic sign recognition system and will change the speed that the cruise control is set at to match a change in the speed limit. In the On setting, this happens extremely suddenly; With Tolerance makes the shift more gradual. But both automatically pull down your speed to match a new speed limit. The traffic sign recognition system is entirely camera-based; there are no speed limits tied to GPS data, so the signs you pass along the road are the only evidence the car uses to determine the current speed limit."

Go here for the full review of the system:
https://www.cars.com/articles/how-go...1420696721631/
Old 12-13-2018, 04:33 PM
AudiWorld Super User

On these TGDI engines (turbo gas direct injected engine) a very serious issue is LSPI (low speed pre ignition). If you Google it, you'll see blown engines due to this.

The fact that the 508.00 Castrol approved oil is not SN Plus approved scares me (this last approval is meant to address LSPI). Mobil 1 has some newer engine oils that are 508.00 approved that are SN Plus approved but we can't buy this in NA.

Here is a more indepth look into this issue:

This may explain the lag we see on the EA839 engines like on the A8. Anyways, has anyone heard about this being an issue on the EA839 engine? 2019 A8/A6/Q8 etc all have this engine. Thanks!

Last edited by angrypengu; 12-13-2018 at 04:53 PM.

Quick Reply: What to do? - D5 reliability concerns.