A8 / S8 (D5 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D5 Audi A8 Produced from 2017-Present
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Worth the wait?

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2017, 03:05 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Does anyone have any information on how the charging induction system is supposed to work, all I have heard is that you can park the car and it will charge but I am not sure what it is charging and why. Does the car 48V lose battery power like a Tesla if it isn't charged? I though it was regenerating?
Old 07-12-2017, 04:38 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 43 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by shafar22
Does anyone have any information on how the charging induction system is supposed to work, all I have heard is that you can park the car and it will charge but I am not sure what it is charging and why. Does the car 48V lose battery power like a Tesla if it isn't charged? I though it was regenerating?
I believe it is regenerating, and can also be charged. It gives about 30 miles of all electric range. Please note, this only applies to the e-tron model, which has not been given a release date, as far as I know.
Old 07-12-2017, 04:53 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Jack88
I believe it is regenerating, and can also be charged. It gives about 30 miles of all electric range. Please note, this only applies to the e-tron model, which has not been given a release date, as far as I know.
I was looking at the audi germany site for the A8 ( which has it listed under the heading of chassis.

Old 07-12-2017, 06:06 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Bada Bing
The S-Class Designo edition interior posted above definitely makes the D5 A8 look plain and uninspired by comparison, but I have to reserve judgment until I see the A8 interior in a similar color scheme or in Audi Exclusive interior. I know natural (matte) finish wood trim is in vogue these days, but I simply don't care for the shade of wood shown in the D5 A8 photos so far. I do like the natural wood used in the new Volvo XC90 and S90, but this dark matte wood and the gray oak natural wood offered on the B9 A4 just don't do it for me.
We have a S550 in the house and I cannot stand the swoopy and busy interior of the S class. Its too gaudy and very overdone and not clean. The new D5 and even my D4 has a much more modern and cleaner look with better technology. I never found the S550 to be a great car to drive but rather drive whereas the A8 I would rather drive it then ride in it. Cant say much about the new 7 series which is a glorify BMW 5 series and stretched longer with a boring BMW playing it safe interior.
Old 07-12-2017, 06:19 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by kelisko
No comment

That is one butt-ugly interior!
Old 07-12-2017, 11:54 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 327 Likes on 276 Posts

Originally Posted by jeffj2h
I'm always interested about the ease of use of infotainment systems. If the features are not easy to use, people will not use them, or at least will be frustrated. Here is a concerning paragraph from Car and Driver's article about the D5:

"Despite haptic and audible feedback to confirm each “button” press, our taps on both screens repeatedly went unacknowledged as we pecked at MMI in a parked car. Swipe and pinch gestures were frequently met with slow, staggering responses as the map was redrawn. The formerly intuitive, beautiful, and powerful MMI appears to have lost its edge with this latest generation. "

I have a 2017 A4 and the infotainment system works quite well. Lets hope Audi has not made beautiful design the enemy of good usability.
I read that too and what I thought was they probably didn't know how to use the system. Unless I am mistaken, it's not a generic touchscreen. You have to actually apply pressure like if they were actual buttons, not just gently tap.
Old 07-13-2017, 04:51 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kelisko
I read that too and what I thought was they probably didn't know how to use the system. Unless I am mistaken, it's not a generic touchscreen. You have to actually apply pressure like if they were actual buttons, not just gently tap.
Your description sounds like a resistive touchscreen. I hope that's not the case. An iPhone has a capacitive touchscreen, which works well. Older technology is it resistive touchscreen. You have to press harder and they are less responsive. Yhey are prone to requiring multiple times.

I'm hoping it's a software issue they will fix.
Old 07-13-2017, 05:59 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 711 Likes on 502 Posts

It's the same set up that Porsche uses in the new Panamera. I recently checked it out, and it worked very well. You do have to mildly press, just like it was a button. Haptic sensation was quite good and natural feeling.
Old 07-13-2017, 04:42 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think the new gen A8 has the fake exhausts...like the new Q5/SQ5...am I wrong?

If they are fake...what does everyone think?
Old 07-13-2017, 08:12 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 43 Likes on 29 Posts

I'm never a fan of fake exhausts, but it looks sharp enough on the A8. It doesn't look like it's trying to make a statement, so I'll let it go this time.

Quick Reply: Worth the wait?