2.6 Quattro head gasket

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2013, 03:08 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2.6 Quattro head gasket

Hey guys,

I'm brand new here but my girlfriend just picked up a '96 A6, with a blown head and we're gonna get her back into working order

Now when it comes to the head gasket I'm in a state of confusion,
This car has a 2.6L V6, which i beleive is an Audi ABC Engine (Please correct me if I'm wrong..)

I believe this car shares its engine with the audi 100, and that this is the right kit for me
http://www.fcpeuro.com/products/audi...-set-078198012

I can't find a kit that says its for the 2.6L though, all I can find is the 2.8... if anyone could point me in the right direction I'd be most appreciative !
Old 07-10-2013, 05:39 PM
AudiWorld Member

The North American 1996 Audi A6 may have a 2.8L AFC engine, with either plastic or aluminum valve covers. Your local Audi dealer parts department should be able to decode your VIN number, to give you the engine part number.
You will also need instructions for doing the timing belt correctly, so that you don't destroy the engine by having the pistons hitting the valves. A lot of special tool are required. See www.blauparts.com for tools required.
Old 07-11-2013, 01:25 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Ahhhh okay I see.. Thanks
I've got an Australian model and I'm starting to think that we got different motors over here
Shame that I can't seem to figure it out off the FCP site!
Old 07-11-2013, 08:11 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

The 2.6 is the ABC engine, correct!
I've got one in my A4, it's 'Euro Spec' and A6hcw is correct that this engine spec wasn't available in the US.
It is almost identical to the AFC 2.8 12V.

I looked up the bores and strokes for all these engines at one point - The 2.6 and 2.8 12V's and the 2.4, 2.8 and 2.7TT 30V's all share the same block with minor variations.
I'm pretty certain the ABC has the same bore, but a shorter stroke than the 2.8.
I'm pretty sure the AFC headgasket kit will fit. If in doubt, take a look at the rockauto.com site, they have the 2.6 in their catalogue, not quite as comprehensive as the 2.8 listings.

The timing belt special tools will be relatively useless if you're removing the camshafts and heads.
Haynes and Bentley manuals can give a detailed procedure for the headgasket replacement.
My advice would be to get piston #1 (though i've got a funny feeling Audi reference off #5 on this engine?) on TDC and use some liquid paper or paint pen and mark the timng belt, cam gears, cam centre bolts and a reference point on the timing and/or cam covers. Then you'll stand a fighting chance on reassembly!

Secondly, are you sure it's a head gasket? I had all the symptoms of a head gasket over summer, took ages but i eventually diagnosed a slow thermostat (did timing belt job in October, which included thermostat) and the reservoir had a crack. Repaced both and car's perfect again with 250,000kms on it!
If you're certain it's the head gasket/s, get a timing belt kit too (includes water pump, thermostat, serpentine belt and idler pulleys), don't buy a cheap one and you won't regret it.

Where in Oz are you?
I'm in Belgrave outside Melbourne...

Last edited by twentysevenlitres; 07-11-2013 at 08:15 AM.
Old 07-12-2013, 03:12 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by twentysevenlitres
The 2.6 is the ABC engine, correct!
I've got one in my A4, it's 'Euro Spec' and A6hcw is correct that this engine spec wasn't available in the US.
It is almost identical to the AFC 2.8 12V.

I looked up the bores and strokes for all these engines at one point - The 2.6 and 2.8 12V's and the 2.4, 2.8 and 2.7TT 30V's all share the same block with minor variations.
I'm pretty certain the ABC has the same bore, but a shorter stroke than the 2.8.
I'm pretty sure the AFC headgasket kit will fit. If in doubt, take a look at the rockauto.com site, they have the 2.6 in their catalogue, not quite as comprehensive as the 2.8 listings.

The timing belt special tools will be relatively useless if you're removing the camshafts and heads.
Haynes and Bentley manuals can give a detailed procedure for the headgasket replacement.
My advice would be to get piston #1 (though i've got a funny feeling Audi reference off #5 on this engine?) on TDC and use some liquid paper or paint pen and mark the timng belt, cam gears, cam centre bolts and a reference point on the timing and/or cam covers. Then you'll stand a fighting chance on reassembly!

Secondly, are you sure it's a head gasket? I had all the symptoms of a head gasket over summer, took ages but i eventually diagnosed a slow thermostat (did timing belt job in October, which included thermostat) and the reservoir had a crack. Repaced both and car's perfect again with 250,000kms on it!
If you're certain it's the head gasket/s, get a timing belt kit too (includes water pump, thermostat, serpentine belt and idler pulleys), don't buy a cheap one and you won't regret it.

Where in Oz are you?
I'm in Belgrave outside Melbourne...

Sweet! yeah it looks like they may be compatible..this link to a kit here says that its for the 2.6 and the 2.8, I think rockauto was trying to tell me the same thing:
http://www.thegasketshop.net/index.p...asket-set.html

I just dont wanna spend the money on the wrong kit!

Thanks for your advice on the timing and what not, good ideas

Yeah unfortunately shes definitely blown the gasket sounds like you got lucky there mate! I'll check out those parts anyway.. coming from a BMW background I'm all too familiar with replacing cooling systems.

I'm in Canberra unfortunately, would be nice to have someone more familiar with the car nearby!
Old 07-12-2013, 06:04 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Yes, definately the right kit.

I've just been looking at the Haynes site. The only book they do for the A6 doesn't cover the V6 engines! Useless!
The irony is, my A4 manual does cover the V6! Work that one out!
Bentley do a manual, but for some reason it's their dearest one at $250 on cd-rom!

So it looks like your choice is buy an A4 V6 haynes manual, or get one of those cheap cd roms off everyones favourite auction site!

There may be some people in Canberra who can help, check out the 'Oz' VW and Audi forums for some locals.

Yeah, it was amusing in hind site, I'd just bought my S8, which had fuel pump issues and I couldn't trust it's reliability, and the trusty old A4 was overheating!
So I owned two cars and couldn't rely on either!

Last edited by twentysevenlitres; 07-12-2013 at 06:07 AM.