Heater Core replacement and a/c repair

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2017, 10:18 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Heater Core replacement and a/c repair

Hello. I am ready to reinstall my heater box with a new core. All stepper motors have been checked and ball joints lubed, etc. (Thanks to all the info here and on 12.v and others.) While I'm at it I'm installing a new cabin filter (my car didn't have one previously). From the flap on the passenger side well just past the filter position I can see a really filthy ac core(?). I'm this far along and would like to replace this core too but can't find anything written on it and I don't have the Bentlty yet. Anyone have any suggestions, pointers, links, cautions about this? Thanks!
Old 11-20-2017, 12:34 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 31 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Wilard
Hello. I am ready to reinstall my heater box with a new core. All stepper motors have been checked and ball joints lubed, etc. (Thanks to all the info here and on 12.v and others.) While I'm at it I'm installing a new cabin filter (my car didn't have one previously). From the flap on the passenger side well just past the filter position I can see a really filthy ac core(?). I'm this far along and would like to replace this core too but can't find anything written on it and I don't have the Bentlty yet. Anyone have any suggestions, pointers, links, cautions about this? Thanks!
The Bentley has a write up..I have attached a PDF. If you have the heater core out..you discharge the A/C and remove some hardware to get to the evaporator. You can clean your old one..yes they get gunked up without the cabin filter. I did mine in situ...it works fine..but not completely clean. They make a foam spray products for cleaning evaporators. Easy enough with the evaporator still in the car. Bentley says: The evaporator housing cannot be disassembled and must be replaced as an assembly..
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
audi a6 evapoator.pdf (121.5 KB, 142 views)

Last edited by Rusty Spokes; 11-20-2017 at 12:36 PM.
Old 11-27-2017, 07:39 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Rusty Spokes
The Bentley has a write up..I have attached a PDF. If you have the heater core out..you discharge the A/C and remove some hardware to get to the evaporator. You can clean your old one..yes they get gunked up without the cabin filter. I did mine in situ...it works fine..but not completely clean. They make a foam spray products for cleaning evaporators. Easy enough with the evaporator still in the car. Bentley says: The evaporator housing cannot be disassembled and must be replaced as an assembly..
I have dealt with the same problem. Some furry family decided some time ago to make its nest inside the enclosure for the evaporator. I took out the whole thing and cleaned up the area around the flap. I also bought a new evaporator. As far as I can tell, nobody (in this country) sells the complete evaporator enclosure. Has anybody opened up the enclosure and replaced the evaporator?