Bentley manual- valve lifter section

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2016, 06:34 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bentley manual- valve lifter section

Hello All-
So in prep to change lifters in my A6 (AFC SOHC), I picked up a bentley. In reading the section on lifters, it says the following:

"After installing new or re-installing old lifters, and after installing the camshaft(s), the engine must not be started for at least 30 minutes. Otherwise the valves could strike the pistons."

I'm not sure why this is in there, or if it is valid. What is the 30 minute wait going to accomplish? I can of course see an issue if the timing is off, etc, but what is the wait for?

I haven't see this mentioned in any of the videos/write ups I've read so far..

Thanks-
Brady
Old 07-02-2016, 05:22 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 31 Likes on 31 Posts

I think the concern is the lifters once expanded (out of the engine) take some time to collapse. If they are expanded then the valve will be held off its seat and full lift on the camshaft will bend the valve.

Never seems to be a problem on VAG lifters in actual practice..maybe because it takes a while to button up the valve covers, pulleys and timing belt, giving the lifters plenty of time to reset once installed.
Old 07-03-2016, 08:20 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks for the response Rusty. In my case, I don't think time is an issue, since the new lifters have been in overnight.. I started my project yesterday at about 11 AM, and knocked off about 6 PM, by which time I had gotten to the point where the cams had been removed, lifters installed, cams re-installed, new water pump, tensioner, and roller. Now the moment of truth... timing belt re-install and manual engine turn-over...
Old 08-04-2016, 04:38 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by bstone
Thanks for the response Rusty. In my case, I don't think time is an issue, since the new lifters have been in overnight.. I started my project yesterday at about 11 AM, and knocked off about 6 PM, by which time I had gotten to the point where the cams had been removed, lifters installed, cams re-installed, new water pump, tensioner, and roller. Now the moment of truth... timing belt re-install and manual engine turn-over...

Where do you order new lifters, I have a 1992 Audi 100 that I just bought with 123k miles...have a pic of it on my profile
Old 08-05-2016, 04:42 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Your engine should have the early style V6 lifters 034109309AD part number. About $5 each from FCP Euro. Early V6 engines were AAH and the camshafts/lifters changed in around 1994 to the AFC engine. Those AFC lifters are "lightweight" have a different part number and the lifters are not interchangeable. They look exactly the same.

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/aud...er-034109309ad

Do double check the vendor part number and the OEM part number when ordering the lifters..most people do not know. FCP lists the INA part number and it looks correct. Check again when you get the actual parts too.

https://docviewer.yandex.com/?url=ya...c=57a487610042
Old 08-05-2016, 07:59 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default What it sounds like

https://1drv.ms/u/s!ApJO4HJD8e3syCv5TTkaJzjnj-aX

What you think?
Old 08-05-2016, 08:24 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Sounds like those lifters are clacking.

If the car has been sitting a while..it takes some time for the lifters to "pump up" almost an hour driving around sometimes.

Be sure the oil is fresh and the oil filter is a good German made Mahle or Mann oil filter.

The aftermarket filters can cause problems
Old 08-05-2016, 08:32 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Rusty Spokes
Sounds like those lifters are clacking.

If the car has been sitting a while..it takes some time for the lifters to "pump up" almost an hour driving around sometimes.

Be sure the oil is fresh and the oil filter is a good German made Mahle or Mann oil filter.

The aftermarket filters can cause problems
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Lifter replacement? or should I look at changing those oil pressure switches that are in each valve cover and the valley?

It really takes an hour? How long is a while, not like overnight right?

This car is near mint, just the lower external door trim is coming off on both sides...
Old 08-05-2016, 08:42 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Prior to doing/replacing the lifters do change the oil. I like Delo 15w40..easy to find here in the lower 48.

Get a German oil filter..do the oil service and drive the car for a hour or two.

That usually works getting the lifters to quite down.
Old 08-05-2016, 08:44 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Changing the lifters would require the timing belt tool and a few hours work..do change the timing belt/water pump if you go that direction..but do an oil service first.

Quick Reply: Bentley manual- valve lifter section