AudiWorld Forums

AudiWorld Forums (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/)
-   Audi 100 / A6 (C4 Platform) (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/audi-100-a6-c4-platform-24/)
-   -   Differential or Transaxle 95 A6 Wagon? (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/audi-100-a6-c4-platform-24/differential-transaxle-95-a6-wagon-2931059/)

barrystein 08-24-2017 06:00 AM

Differential or Transaxle 95 A6 Wagon?

I have a 1995 Audi A6 Wagon. It is *not* Quattro. I have a lifetime transmission warranty with AAMCO. The car made horrible noises and stopped going forward.

AAMCO took it apart and tells me it is the differential.

My warranty says that they cover the transmission transaxle and torque converter. Since what they are calling the transaxle is directly connected to the transmission, and it is a front wheel drive vehicle, I think the wording transaxle covers what they are calling the differential.

Is this even called a differential in my vehicle? I called salvage yards and no one sells a used differential, they only sell a complete transmission with the differential attached.

Am I correct in thinking that the wording transaxle covers my situation and should be covered under warranty.

barrystein 08-24-2017 06:03 AM

Can't see how to edit this thread..... here is the correct post

I have a 1995 Audi A6 Wagon. It is *not* Quattro. I have a lifetime transmission warranty with AAMCO. The car made horrible noises and stopped going forward.

AAMCO took it apart and tells me it is the differential.

My warranty says that they cover the transmission transaxle and torque converter. Since what they are calling the differential is directly connected to the transmission, and it is a front wheel drive vehicle, I think the wording transaxle covers what they are calling the differential.

Is this even called a differential in my vehicle? I called salvage yards and no one sells a used differential, they only sell a complete transmission with the differential attached.

Am I correct in thinking that the wording transaxle covers my situation and should be covered under warranty.

Rusty Spokes 08-24-2017 06:56 AM

1 Attachment(s)
https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.aud...0dc671b264.png

On a front wheel drive transmission..there is no "differential" per se..the ring and pinion are incorporated into the automatic transmission and called a transaxle or "front final drive". You see the axle flange in the picture? And the big bulge? That is the transaxle.

So the car has a differential and the terms are used interchangeably. I think your AAMCO guys are trying to wiggle out of the warranty. The "diff" in the ZF transmissions is very robust and a failure, even for an older car, is very rare. The exception is if the transaxle case is low on gear oil..it is a separate internal unit..and needs gear oil.

barrystein 08-24-2017 07:36 AM

Is the gear oil different than the transmission fluid? If so, how do you check the level and add fluid? I've had annual checks with aamco for 15 years, but they must not known how to check the gear oil in the transaxle case.

Rusty Spokes 08-24-2017 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by barrystein (Post 25027164)
Is the gear oil different than the transmission fluid? If so, how do you check the level and add fluid? I've had annual checks with aamco for 15 years, but they must not known how to check the gear oil in the transaxle case.

See #12 in the repair PDF I attached on the prior post..the fill plug for gear oil.

It is different..the transmission uses ATF.

Rusty Spokes 08-24-2017 10:36 AM

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.aud...5fb64ad7d1.jpg

There may not be a transaxle drain plug..we did not get them in the USA..there should be a fill plug up near the axle as in the picture.

barrystein 09-28-2017 03:35 PM

CheckEngine Light

That transaxle has been rebuilt and put in the car. The repair shop says it is not shifting properly and they think it is because the check engine light is on.
Actually the check engine light has been coming on after 15 minutes of driving for over 10 years.

Can not shifting properly be an electrical issue, or is it simply a transaxle issue.

Rusty Spokes 09-28-2017 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by barrystein (Post 25044381)
That transaxle has been rebuilt and put in the car. The repair shop says it is not shifting properly and they think it is because the check engine light is on.
Actually the check engine light has been coming on after 15 minutes of driving for over 10 years.

Can not shifting properly be an electrical issue, or is it simply a transaxle issue.

If the transmission is making noises and not shifting properly..I doubt it is the CEL but might be. There is a tool to check the cause of the CEL. I think you have OBD1 in your car? 1995 might have OBD2..but I don't think so. Knowing the reason for the CEL would be handy.

The OBD1 tool is about $50 and you need the software..I think Ross Tech has freeware for the older cars..you should check. It should read the transmission for faults stored as DTCs also..be sure and ask. Faults in the transmission can throw a CEL too. Usually the transmission will go into a "safe mode" and remain in second gear all the time..moving forward with the CEL on....no noises though.

Ross-Tech: The 2 x 2 Port in Older Cars

barrystein 10-09-2017 02:33 PM

Throwing Code 0532 low volatage

Rusty,

AAMCO is telling me the transaxle is rebuilt and is installed properly but it is going into safe mode.
The only code that is being thrown is code 0532 - low voltage.
I asked if it was a historical code - because they had to replace the battery,
but they say it is a current code.

They want me to take the car to an electrical shop, as they think the problem is in the electrical harness.
Before the transmission went out, there was not an electrical problem, the only symptom was a CEL that used to come on after the car was running for 30 minutes, but the transaxle ran fine.

I have a feeling that an electrical problem could be quite expensive and not worth the value of the car.
Is it possible that the differential part of the transaxle going out created an electrical problem,
or is it more likely that they haven't redone the transaxle correctly.
They rebuilt the differential part of the transaxle.

Barry

Originally Posted by Rusty Spokes (Post 25044395)
If the transmission is making noises and not shifting properly..I doubt it is the CEL but might be. There is a tool to check the cause of the CEL. I think you have OBD1 in your car? 1995 might have OBD2..but I don't think so. Knowing the reason for the CEL would be handy.

The OBD1 tool is about $50 and you need the software..I think Ross Tech has freeware for the older cars..you should check. It should read the transmission for faults stored as DTCs also..be sure and ask. Faults in the transmission can throw a CEL too. Usually the transmission will go into a "safe mode" and remain in second gear all the time..moving forward with the CEL on....no noises though.

Ross-Tech: The 2 x 2 Port in Older Cars

Rusty Spokes 10-09-2017 06:11 PM

I would go look behind the passenger side "kick-panel" Pull the carpet back and you will find some fuses along with the TCU and ECU. Those fuses control the fuel pump and provide voltage to the multi-function switch for the transmission.

Remove and replace all the fuses. Here is a picture (similar on all A6-C4 cars)..those fuses get corroded..it is worth a shot to try it.

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.aud...f21b82b26c.jpg