Interesting issue nobody can figure out

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2017, 09:04 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Interesting issue nobody can figure out

Hello,

I purchased a 1998 A6 Avant Quattro C4 chassis back in December.
Gave me no problems besides the usual worn suspension parts and misc general maintenance items.

On Friday I took it out for a quick spin, when I came back home I saw that it is very hard to put into Park. I would almost have to force it up. The car would think its not in park but would lock the wheels like its in park. I left it as is and then i drove it for 50 miles round trip. Got back home now it doesnt go into park at all! It shifts into reverse and gets blocked right before the stick turns left to park.

The funny thing is everything drives fine, gears shift fine. The only thing is that it doesnt go into park. Almost seems like something is lodged in there.

Anyone have any similar issues? I am not sure what to do anymore. I have to leave it in neutral and put a brick under tire when I park. The only way I can get the key out is by tapping the pin inside to release the lock.

Any advice and help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you!
Old 03-27-2017, 09:45 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 31 Likes on 31 Posts

Is the gearshift indicator on the dash indicating correctly? The bulbs inside are probably not working..look carefully. That will tell you if the multi-function switch on the transmission is working.

Could be your shift safety interlock cable is out of adjustment..it goes between the ignition switch and the shift inter-lock.

OR..a coin (something like that) has dropped into the shifter..and blocking your PARK position.

Do your brake lights work? If not the shifter safety will not think your foot is on the brake and may not go into park.

Be sure the gear shift shaft goes up and down..with an internal spring..if not it may be sticking and need some lube.
Old 03-27-2017, 10:14 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Rusty Spokes
Is the gearshift indicator on the dash indicating correctly? The bulbs inside are probably not working..look carefully. That will tell you if the multi-function switch on the transmission is working.

Could be your shift safety interlock cable is out of adjustment..it goes between the ignition switch and the shift inter-lock.

OR..a coin (something like that) has dropped into the shifter..and blocking your PARK position.

Do your brake lights work? If not the shifter safety will not think your foot is on the brake and may not go into park.

Be sure the gear shift shaft goes up and down..with an internal spring..if not it may be sticking and need some lube.

On the gear indicator it lights up them all except P. it stays in R when going to P.
Brake lights do work.

Everything functions as it should except it going into park.

I did find the two golden screws under the wooden cover lose, I read these are the cable adjusting screws. Am I correct on them adjusting the cable?
Old 03-27-2017, 01:39 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 31 Likes on 31 Posts

Could be your problem..see the attached link for adjustment
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Audi A6 Avant lock.pdf (790.9 KB, 106 views)
Old 03-27-2017, 01:46 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Rusty Spokes
Could be your problem..see the attached link for adjustment
Oh wow, thank you! I will send this to my guy. After all the reading and researching its all pointing to something being stuck or lodged in there. The shop the car was at was telling me the mechanic couldnt get it out of park he had no idea you have to press the shifter down. Maybe they cracked something which later broke and lodged.

If anyone else has any input please chime in.

Thank you!
Old 03-28-2017, 11:53 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

So the problem was solved. Turns out it was about $.70 in change who is responsible for this. So glad it was nothing serious.