power stering glitch

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2004, 08:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default power stering glitch

The power steering in my 97 A6 Quattro has been acting a bit strange lately. It's noticeable at pretty much all speeds. The steering to the left feels normal, but when a turn to the right is initiated, the wheel has NO resistance to it, as in the way it would feel for parallel parking and stuff. That is to say, that when you first start a turn to the right, there is NO resistance initially, then as you continue the turn, you feel the "normal" expected resistance return to the wheel. If you go back to the center or neutral position and begin another turn to the right, the same thing happens. The result is the car lunges to the right because you would be expecting "road feel" resistance, but you get none and you jerk to the right. As I said before, eventually you feel the resistance come into the wheel.

Anyone ever experienced or heard of this sort of problem??

Thanks,

Cheryl.
Old 12-01-2004, 07:56 AM

Default Re: power stering glitch

Yes, the same thing happens to me with my '94 100 wagon when I turn right, but I really only notice it when I am driving at higher speeds (50+mph) and then only when I am making a bigger turn, as when making a tight turn on a freeway interchange. It's weird, but I just make the turn normally and wait for the normal feel to catch. It has done this for 9 months or so now but not become progressively worse. About a year and a half ago the power steering on ocassion would be really stiff when I turned the wheel to the right, but I turned it hard a couple or times and heard a subtle "thud", as if something was stuck an broke free, and the steering has worked fine since, with the exception of the easy feel when making a turn at speed. I don't know if this helps, but we seem to share the same problem anyway.
Old 12-01-2004, 07:34 PM

Default Re: power stering glitch

Thanks for the response. It's interesting you describe the exact scenario as mine. I have not experienced the stiffness in the wheel at any time though. I guess I won't get too excited about it for now. My latest issue is the Cruise control. I've been searching the archives. Mine started out with the symptom of not always coming on the first time I pushed "set". Then it got so that it would work after the car had been run for 15-20 minutes. Then it would shut down once in a while. Now it won't work at all. I'm not hearing the usual relay click on the right hand side of the car when I hit the button.

Oh well.

Thanks.
Old 11-14-2010, 04:57 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default steering on A6 2,7

hi there guys , i got the same issue , but in a week time will be getting a alignment done and will be asking guys in shop to check upon it .... just had the whole new control arm replaced (it was a time to ) but had no affect on the steering .... as soon i get more info i will be posting about it ,,, good luck ...