trunk ALARM!! ALARM!! ALARM!!!

Old 02-01-2002, 12:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default trunk ALARM!! ALARM!! ALARM!!!

Hey guys!

Question: When my car doors are locked and I go to unlock and open the TRUNK, the alarm goes off!!!
It stops once I put a KEY in the driver's door...

Now...if I PUNCH the window, the alarm DOESN'T go off???? ONLY when I access the trunk...hmmmmm...

Do you think the PO had it set up this way?? Or do you think it's faulty??

btw...my key has one of those "buttons" on it that doesn't DO anything....and there is a cool blinking light on the radio..

any thoughts??
~Christy
Old 02-01-2002, 03:13 PM

Default Car has a motion sensor

Don't know about the trunk. On the wagon, if you open the hatch it temporarily disables the alarm, which resets when you close the hatch (and automatically locks, by the way, which poses a forseeable problem) Punching the window, I don't think there is an impact sensor, there is a motion sensor inside the car for the alarm (can be disabled with a button halfway down on the driver's side "b piller," one touch disables for one alarm cycle). I dont think I have an alarm light on my radio, I think the emergency flasher button doubles as an alarm light, but I will keep my eye on it. I haven't seen anything in the tech groups about programming the alarm to not deactive with the trunk opening . . . I think that might be a fault.
Old 02-01-2002, 03:29 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default On your car you have to actually open the door...

...or trunk or hood to set the alarm off!! If the vehicle is equipped with motion sensors then once inside the vehicle the alarm will go off. I can't comment if your car is equipped with motion sensors or not...I don't know for that model year (MY)!!

Also, how are you opening the trunk?? Are you unlocking it and then opening it?? It sounds like you are just opening it. You should have to unlock it first and this will disarm the alarm.

If you are not unlocking the trunk before opening it then there is a problem (it should be locked). Likewise, if you do unlock it and the alarm still goes off you have a problem (it should disable the alarm). Let us know exactly what is happening.

HTH!!
Old 02-01-2002, 05:29 PM

Default Re: On your car you have to actually open the door...

YEah...

Ok...then trunk will NOT open UNLESS I:
a) use the glove box button
b) put a key in it, turn it counterclockwise and push

I know that the trunk SHOULD be able to be kept unlocked and opened simply with a finger pushing the key area...right??

BUT...I didn't even KNOW I HAD an alarm!!! I was coming back from the store...the car doors all locked and I needed to enter the trunk BEFORE unlocking the entire car, so I used the key, unlocked the trunk and while raising the trunk-*HONK* *HONK* *HONK* *HONK*!!!!!!
I didn't even know if I would be ABLE to disarm it!! Luckily unlocking the drivers door did the trick!

In my particular case, I guess I HAVE to unlock the car BEFORE accessing the trunk..

shrug!

(what the hell was the PO keeping in that trunk!!??) LOL!!!

~Christy

and..as for the light on the radio...it blinks when the key is out of the ignition...it's right on the faceplate (Gamma AUDI) and is about the size of a LARGE pimple...
Old 02-01-2002, 06:18 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Key/Remote

The reason the button on your key doesn't work is you have to reactivate it. If you don't use it for 7 days, or you disconnect the battery then the remote IR sensor resets itself. You have to aim the key at the IR sensor (**** looking thing between the front and rear doors) and push the button. Then quickly use the key to lock or unlock the doors. Now aim the key at the sensor and push the button. It should lock or unlock the doors. When you push the button to lock the doors, you should hear a "HONK" from the horn. Do you hear a "honk" when you use the key to lock the doors? What year car do you have? Mine is a 93 and thats how mine works. I am not sure about the trunk, I've never opened mine with the key, I always use the keyless and then just push the lock in and it opens right up.
Old 02-01-2002, 07:10 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Re: On your car you have to actually open the door...

> I know that the trunk SHOULD be
> able to be kept unlocked and
> opened simply with a finger
> pushing the key area...right??

Nope. With your car, I believe, your options are locked all the time OR lock/unlock with the power locks. Of course you can always unlock the trunk with the key, which AFAIK should disable the alarm.

Why it's not disabling the alarm I can't even guess!!
Old 02-01-2002, 11:27 PM
AudiWorld Super User

I'd take a wild guess at Valet key. Can you lock/unlock your glove box with your key?
Old 02-04-2002, 07:14 AM

Default I thought the valet key only worked in the door and ignition?

On my '95 Passat, which had a similar (go figure) security system to my '97 A6, the valet key would only work to unlock and lock in the door, and would start the car, but it could not be used in the center console (no glovebox), the trunk, or in the locks on the folding seatbacks. HOWEVER, if you had the trunk set to unlock with the rest of the car doors, you'd still be able to unlock the trunk that way. So, you'd have to lock the trunk 'properly' before giving the valet the keys (if you were so inclined).

In any case, occasionally when opening my trunk on that car, I would set off the alarm, if it was the first thing I opened. I think that it was because I'd unlock it, and that'd pop it just enough to think that it was open and then closed again, so that once I opened it all the way, it'd set off the alarm because it never saw the trunk get unlocked again.

It also happened once when I had my trunk just barely too full, and the trunklid bounced when it was almost closed. Again, the alarm went off because it "saw" the trunk close and then open again without being disarmed.

It sounds like either the switch to sense the trunk being open might be a little loose, or there's sometihng wrong with some sort of sending unit in the lock that operates the alarm.

Hope this sheds a little light on the issue.

-John
Old 02-04-2002, 11:58 AM

Default Re: I thought the valet key only worked in the door and ignition?

My key opens everything...

As for the re-activation....I could find NO **** on the pillar..UNLESS I am supposed to remove the black trim piece between the doors (on the pillar). With the door open, all I could find was the door contact switch...that didn't work..

So...I think my situation may be useless...I just have to remember to NOT open the trunk UNLESS the car doors are unlocked..

It would be neat to be able to use that cool button for keyless entry, though..

~Christy
Old 02-04-2002, 01:17 PM
AudiWorld Super User

That means your car doesn't have motion sensors...I didn't think it did!!