Heater core hose barb size?

Old 09-21-2014, 09:32 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Heater core hose barb size?

Hi all, first post here.

I've been through the ringer with my 95 A6. It's been good to me. Got it for $3000 a few years ago and after putting a bit of money into it (suspension, tires) it's a GREAT winter car.

Anyway, I had to replace the heater core at one point (twice)(not as hard of a job as people made it out to be.) I bought aftermarket heater cores both times I had done it, but I've noticed something.

The bleeder valve hooks directly into the top heater core "barb" if you will. However, on my aftermarket heater cores, the barbs are TINY. They aren't 3/4 inch (I think that's what the normal heater hose is). They're 5/8 in. However, that's a problem because the bleeder valve is 3/4. Did the aftermarket people get it wrong? Or is my bleeder valve stretched a ton? Is the bleeder valve different sizes on both ends? Because the heater valve is 3/4 hose (you can't fit smaller hose on it... I've tried.)

I eventually carved an adapter from some 5/8 hose and it works pretty well. So far two other leaks have sprung up from parts breaking (the valve has developed a crack... I'll try some epoxy or jb weld before I fork out the 30-50 bucks for it.)

Anyway, anyone know what's up with that?