1984 4000S Starting Problems

Old 09-27-2001, 08:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1984 4000S Starting Problems

Several times in the last couple of weeks the car wouldn't start when I tried to start it up. The engine tries to turn over, but just won't go. I've taken it to a garage where, according to Murphy's Law, the problem isn't happening. The mechanic says there are a bunch of things that it could be and that he can't really do anything until the problem happens again. At the same time, I think he is getting eager for me to take the car away. I can't keep calling AAA and I want to solve the problem. Any thoughts on what may be wrong? Is the mechanic giving me the run-around by saying he can't do anything until the problem occurs before his very eyes?
Old 09-27-2001, 08:58 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: 1984 4000S Starting Problems

Try taking your car to a Audi dealership. There they have diagnostic goodies and should be able to pinpoint the problem.
Old 09-28-2001, 04:57 AM
AudiWorld Uber User

Default The mechanic is being legit.

Diagnosing a no-start problem without having the car in front of you displaying the problem is like trying to cook a gourmet meal with a Zippo. It just doesn't work too well. The mechanic can only work with what he's got to go on, and if the car isn't displaying any problem, then in his mind, it's fine. Does it only do this when cold? Does it eventually "catch" and start up? Any other special circumstances? Do you know if it's a fuel or ignition problem? How old are the plugs/wires/cap/rotor? It could be anything, really.
Old 09-28-2001, 05:55 AM

Default Re: The mechanic is being legit.

It has happened when the car is cold, but the temperature outside has been warm. The plugs and wires were just replaced, so unless they weren't put in properly, they shouldn't be the cause. The last time it happened AAA came to tow the car, but after manually moving it to get it out of the parking garage, it started right up. Now of course it won't repeat for the mechanic. I am trying to get the car to the dealer, where it has been serviced for almost its entire life (the dealer, like most Audi dealers these days, is overwhelmed with the number of cars being brought in and it takes a while to get attention).
Old 09-28-2001, 10:16 AM
AudiWorld Uber User

Default I'm afraid the dealer isn't going to be much more help...

Most of the dealer's diagnostic equipment is computers that are hooked up to the car's main ECU, which tells the mechanic what's going on inside the car. The problem is, a 1984 4k isn't computer controlled, which renders the dealer's equipment useless, and they'll have to use the same techniques as the mechanic you're at now, and if it's not duplicating the problem, they can't fix it.
Old 09-29-2001, 06:00 AM

when this happened to me with my 84 coupe it was the cold start sensor. screwed into the back of the engine block and electricly connected to the cold start valve (in the intake manifold). It fired up fine after that was replaced.
(try cleaning it first).
good luck
Old 09-29-2001, 11:50 AM
AudiWorld Member

I agree with Red Baron. The mid-80's audis are pretty simple. Try simple things first, such as: distributor cap, rotor, plugs, wires. Then move to the fuel and air filters and check for vaccum leaks. If still no luck, then move to the simple sensors: thermo-time switch in the back of the head, cold start valve, and thoroughly clean the Idle Stabilization Valve. By doing these things yourself it may fix the problem and your car will run better than it has in a long time and you will spend less than a garage will charge for diagnostics.

HTH
Carl
Old 09-29-2001, 04:59 PM

Default Re: after being moved

The only thing that caught my attention is that when "the car would'nt start, and then AAA moved it manually it started" seems that maybe it is a flywheel/starter issue. Just my thoughts since I have not personally bled on the car!!!!