4000Q starts rubs for 20 seconds and dies

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2018, 11:46 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's a super clean looking 4QK Matthew.

I had a similar issue with my VW Quantum Syncro, same engine/ drive train as in the 4KQ. The culprit in my car was a weakening ignition module located under the cowl area, between engine bay and windshield.

Regards,

-Louis
Old 01-10-2019, 03:21 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Default Finally fixed it

thought I’d give an update per the chance anyone should happen to have the same issue.

I tested all injectors after cleaning and all had great spray patterns. Installed them with new seals etc and traced back to the distributor (since it was the only thing left) pulled it apart and found the tiny little screen filter inside was plugged solid. Little did I know after discussing it with a local tech that those filters were supposed to be removed after the first service. Only reason they were ever installed as to catch any metal or debris from factory.
Since I had it apart I installed all new o rings and put back in car. Started right up and is running like a top now, minus a bit of a high idle when warm.
I thank all that wrote and helped in this thread as it had been more than a decade since I had worked on one of these cars!

Last edited by matthew yergeau; 01-10-2019 at 03:27 PM.
Old 01-12-2019, 12:35 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Very interesting to hear all the different solutions lately for these cars not running well. Where is the screen filter you're talking about? I know on some there's one for each injector under little screws on top of the distributor but I think they did away with that by the CIS-E era. I know there's another one on the plunger barrel as well. Appreciate the info.

-Rog
Old 01-12-2019, 07:58 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Default Filter location

Originally Posted by Rogviler
Very interesting to hear all the different solutions lately for these cars not running well. Where is the screen filter you're talking about? I know on some there's one for each injector under little screws on top of the distributor but I think they did away with that by the CIS-E era. I know there's another one on the plunger barrel as well. Appreciate the info.

-Rog
the filter was under the plunger, was full of junk that wasn’t even ethanol related. As mentioned before marine mechanic here and expected to find all kinds of ethanol related issues in there, but to my surprise it was a dust like compound that was not allowing fuel to pass.
I still have little issues like high idle when warm and after replacing t-stat car still won’t stay at full temp. I know these older gauges are true and actually move compared to new cars, but she dips down to 30%when driving and left at idle gauge reads true 55%. Oil temps are spot on so I know it’s not actually cold or even worse to hot.
Electric windows all the sudden stopped working when all worked before. Little stuff, but after waiting so long for another 4kq I’m soo in love and look forward to all the snow we can get here in upstate NY/VT.

thanks rog for all your help, I’ve noticed you on a lot of those threads spreading your knowledge and with out people like you, these forums would be useless!!
Old 01-12-2019, 10:31 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Thank you! I took a break from wrenching on these for a few years so I feel like I'm back to learning again. Nothing wrong with that though, learning new things is always fun.

Hmm, now you have me curious what mine looks like. I had it running pretty good and progressively got worse again. Replaced every sensor except the O2 (which I still might do but they ain't so cheap) so maybe it's something physical after all.

-Rog