New Spark Plugs
Spark at coil & Plugs
Distributor & Hall in good shape
Fuel Pump & Relays working
Clean Idle Control Valve
Checked vacuum lines for leak
Checked the air plate for movrmrnt
Went through the grounds at all areas mentioned in the forum

CAR will start but will not idle. It will stay running if I spray Starting Fluid in the plugged hole on the manifold.

I will appreciate any advice to help get my car running.
Old 03-09-2014, 10:09 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Do all the injectors spray? If so, do they spray well?

There's a good chance that the fuel distributor is gummed up.

-Rog
Old 03-09-2014, 10:37 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Rogviler
Do all the injectors spray? If so, do they spray well?

There's a good chance that the fuel distributor is gummed up.

-Rog
I havent checked the injectors and the fuel distributor. How do you remove the injectors to check for that? Also is it easy to check the fuel distributor? I have a donor car and perhaps depending on your response I may try opening the fuel dist. and injectors first with donor car in case I break anything.
Old 03-09-2014, 07:04 PM
AudiWorld Member

You'll have to remove the injector hold down "bar." It just screws off on either end. Then you have to pop out the injectors. Sometimes, you can pull them out by hand. Normally, you have to pry them off. There is a special tool you can get from germanautoparts.com which makes injector removal super easy.
Old 03-09-2014, 07:07 PM
AudiWorld Member

First place I would check would be the fuel distributor. I had this issue with my CGT after it had sat for 2 years. The plunger within the distributor can get stuck. There are a lot of small orifices in the distributor that can also get plugged up. I did pretty much everything you did and the only thing that ended up working was replacing the fuel distributor.

It sounds simple but try and start the car and give the fuel distributor a couple light hits with a rubber mallet. See if the idle changes
Old 03-10-2014, 07:45 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

If you unscrew the fuel distributor from the airflow meter body (should be three screws), you can turn it over to see the plunger. The plunger itself can come out and should do so easily, do not use tools to pry it out and don't drop it, as any marring will cause it to leak. From there you can spray carb or brake cleaner inside the opening to ungunk it. The plunger should move freely.

You can also undo each injector line where it comes out of the distributor and use cleaner in there. Next to each injector line there's a small cap that has a filter inside it. Another place to clean.

At this point I would not take the distributor itself apart. It's not too hard to rebuild them, but it's not usually necessary.

-Rog
Old 03-10-2014, 08:18 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

If you unscrew the fuel distributor from the airflow meter body (should be three screws), you can turn it over to see the plunger. The plunger itself can come out and should do so easily, do not use tools to pry it out and don't drop it, as any marring will cause it to leak. From there you can spray carb or brake cleaner inside the opening to ungunk it. The plunger should move freely.

You can also undo each injector line where it comes out of the distributor and use cleaner in there. Next to each injector line there's a small cap that has a filter inside it. Another place to clean.

At this point I would not take the distributor itself apart. It's not too hard to rebuild them, but it's not usually necessary.

-Rog

I opened the banjo fittings at the Fuel Distributor and cranked and no gas came out, I sprayed the holes where the banjos fit and the banjos too put it back still no start and when I opened one banjo and ctancked the engine I saw some gas come out with bubbles... The injectors do not want to come out I pulled, I used the special injector puller and broke the tool .. still working on removing the injectors. The 3 screws on the Fuel dist wont turn and are beginning to chip so cant get in there

I do suspect the fuel distributor is faulty because until I get gas out of there to get to the injectors this thing wont run. My other option I am thinking of is to try the fuel distributor from the donor car. The 3 screws on this FD turned easily and I was able to see the plunger in there move. I plan on installing that tomorrow. Right now the smell of old smelly gas has gotten the better part of me. Is there anything else I should be doing?
Old 03-10-2014, 09:40 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Sounds like you're on the right track. Another option would be to pull the whole airbox top off and then you can access the fuel plunger somewhat from the bottom. You won't be able to remove it, but you could still spray cleaner in there and work it by (gently) using the metering arm.

I'm sure that's all it is. If you got the plunger freed up, once the old gas gets flushed out it'll start to run better and better. Gas does not last as long as it used to. I'd almost rather have a car with 20-year-old gas in it than gas from the last decade or so.

If you need to get the injectors out, it helps to spray WD40 around the hole and then twist them slightly to get it worked down in there. I would definitely consider replacing the O-rings if you do that though, just because it means they could be getting old and hard. They're only a buck or two each.

-Rog
Old 03-11-2014, 08:44 AM
AudiWorld Member

If you need to get the injectors out, it helps to spray WD40 around the hole and then twist them slightly to get it worked down in there. I would definitely consider replacing the O-rings if you do that though, just because it means they could be getting old and hard. They're only a buck or two each.

-Rog
It might be worth replacing the plastic holders as well. BE CAREFUL when removing these as they can get brittle and upon trying to remove them, break into pieces and fall into the block. Definitely, replace the o-rings. If you can find them, I suggest the green Viton-type.

Try the spare fuel distributor. If you still aren't getting fuel, you may have some gunk in your fuel line somewhere that's causing problems.
Old 03-11-2014, 02:07 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by AudiCoupeGT1986
It might be worth replacing the plastic holders as well. BE CAREFUL when removing these as they can get brittle and upon trying to remove them, break into pieces and fall into the block. Definitely, replace the o-rings. If you can find them, I suggest the green Viton-type.

Try the spare fuel distributor. If you still aren't getting fuel, you may have some gunk in your fuel line somewhere that's causing problems.
Got the fuel Distributor opened today. Oh Man!! the plunger was stuck and will not move with my hand so I soaked it in Gas and after 4 hrs I saw a little movement after a while it started going up and down. I plan on leaving it in the soaker overnight and then blow all the holes out with a compressor.

The injectors are a different story.. I even bought an injector remover and broke the tool. I thinbk I am going to leave that alone and hope that the fuel distributor will do the trick. I will eventually take the car to a mechanic to pull out the injectors. (Something tells me I could break them)

The donor Fuel Distributor has a stuck plunger as well so I am soaking that one too. Will keep you posted once the car Vroooms hopefully tomorrow pm!! All in all it's been fun.. (so far)

Quick Reply: 85 CGT Wont Start - HELP!!