Air Box..

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2002, 06:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Air Box..

Im sure everyone knows what im talking about. You know the CLOTH hose from the manifold to the rear of the airbox, where would be a good place to find this hose\tubing? Im assuming its high temp.
Old 03-12-2002, 07:47 PM

Default Re: Air Box..

Don't replace it. Just duct tape that hole off. Not a necessary hose and probably heats air even on hot days. No effect on cold start either. I live in Utah and mine starts fine. Also, remove the goofy temperature flap as well.
Old 03-13-2002, 04:12 AM

Default Ditto

When I changed to the 5-2-1 system I couldn't hook up the hose...haven't cared. Starts fine in the cold.
Old 03-13-2002, 12:16 PM

Default I think you are both wrong...

I have noticed differences when mine (the warm air hose) had fallen off (after the O2 sensor was replaced). Sure the car started fine (why wouldn't it - the engine exhaust manifold isn't warm yet). I don't remember that I noticed much difference in performance though. I did notice that my fuel mileage went down. Then I remembered from my old auto class and fuel/air characteristics (gasoline vaporizes into warm air and not cold) learned from college, that the warm air tube supplying warm air to the intake allows the engine to run leaner in the winter.

Now I may have only seen a 2-3 mpg difference and for those that drive 5 miles/day it doesn't add up to anything. I drive 100 miles/day and notice (for some reason) that it makes a difference. Plus 2-3 mpg on a car that is already sad, with a mileage of 22-25, roughly generates a 10% loss in mileage. Some how I have to think that will affect perfomance, but I didn't notice any.

Now there is a thermostat in the air box that operates the air flap. This thermostat will close the flap (shutting off the intake of warmed air) so that the air going into the engine is not warmed anymore once it exceeds a certain temp (for instance 70 degrees or higher do not pre-warm the intake air, the intake air is already warm enough). That means that in Florida under normal conditions (with temps in the 70's) the flap will stay closed (no pre-warmed air entering) and you probably don't need the hose. Up in Canada, where the temps may be 0, you may (probably will) notice a diffence using pre-warmed air. I live in Michigan and it was during the cold winter that I noticed my difference, not during the hot summer days. I have also noticed better over all mileage during the summer, than during the winter.

To find the hose, I think that Pep boys had some, you just need to know the diameter and length you need. Maybe even any general auto parts store will have them, I know that NAPA had some.
Old 03-13-2002, 07:38 PM

Default Not replacing it...

I want to get hose to create another air duct..more airflow eh?
Old 03-14-2002, 07:45 AM

Default Re: Air Box..

Chris, you live in utah? Me too! I want to see your car and talk audi's. Drop me a line.

joe cary
slc,ut
84' 4000q

joe@saratogacity.com<ul><li><a href="http://www.saratogacity.com/audi/auditude.htm">http://www.saratogacity.com/audi/auditude.htm</a</li></ul>
Old 03-15-2002, 11:34 AM

Default Re: Air Box Mod!

Ok, here is what I did. My front airbox hole now just has a little snorkel from a qsw, much less complex than original.
I took out the flap in the airbox. Then I used a 90 degree air intake piece that I got off a jetta at the junkyard, fit right in the hole behind the side of the bumper. It runs to a audi 5000 air intake Y connector. From there one hose goes to the old warm air intake on the airbox(same factory hose) and one went to the exhaust manifold; now the manifold gets cooled instead of giving off heat. That was what I had anyway, it has changed. I've lost the exhaust manifold piece ( just had the head done, shaved .055, turbo cam) so now I need to just run a large hose from the jetta piece right to the back of the airbox. I'll bet my old method was hardly getting any air to the airbox anyhow since the flow was divided between the airbox and the manifold. I'll fix it and let you all know how it goes. I also want to drill some holes on the far left side of the front of the airbox, but I'm not commited to that project yet (read unfixable).

joe cary
84' 4000q
slc,ut

p.s. Turbo cam is great!<ul><li><a href="http://www.saratogacity.com/audi/auditude.htm">Joe's auditude</a></li></ul>
Old 03-15-2002, 09:50 PM

Cool, itll be nice to see how that goes