audi coupe gt timing issues

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2008, 03:14 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default audi coupe gt timing issues

I just got a bright red 85' coupe gt for a few hundred bucks, Sounded like a great deal. The car had been sitting since '04 and is a mess. Anyhow I checked it out and the timing was all out of wack. So I adjusted it and it started right up. I set to repairing other things and just today the car wouldn't start. I checked the timing again and the cam was off two ticks. So I adjusted it and now when I try to start it it goes right out of time by a couple ticks. It has a new high compression head and new timing belt etc all is adjusted correctly. Any ideas? Could the belt be jumping? The cam sprocket is a bit worn.
Old 02-21-2008, 03:18 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So you verified the belt is actually changing positions on the cam sprocket?
Old 02-21-2008, 03:41 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

is the belt loose? you should only be able to twist it 90 degrees along its length with finger/thumb
Old 02-21-2008, 04:11 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Does the belt have all it's teeth?

Saw the same thing on a CGT awhile back...they had a weak antifreeze mix (basically water). The owner came out in the morning and cranked it for half a sec and knew something was wrong. Turns out they chewed a few teeth off the belt.
Old 02-21-2008, 04:21 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Pull the crank sprocket and see if the built in woodruf key is broken off.

If so, also check the keyway in the crank. If it's still mostly good ( a bit chewed up) you can put it back together with a new one lined up, and put a bit of JB weld to secure it. Basically, you are using the JB just to fill in the broken part of the keyway in the crank. Also, put a bit of axle grease on the pulley, so it doesn't stick for the next time you have to go throught this.

I'd highly recommend diong the front crank seal also.

Oh, and you will need a new or good pulley, there is no easy way to rig it.

Tony Hoffman
Old 02-21-2008, 05:23 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default or the half moon key in the cam sprocket, that things always a pain, could have slipped out..

and so now the pulley's just relying on the pressure of the bolt to hold it there which would probably work until it hits a few compression strokes
Old 02-21-2008, 05:38 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Default Half moon key is in place, and belt is properly tight and brand new

I checked the key first off, it's good and fixed. Also checked the cam position, y shaped on clyinder 1 still good. I'd assume the belt is jumping, but is doesn't happen when moved by hand so I'm not seeing the belt move. Any idea on how to check if the belt is actually jumping?
Old 02-21-2008, 06:32 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Leave the timing cover off

Leave the top timing cover off while you do some diagnosis, this should really help you see whats going on when the motor is turning over.
Old 02-21-2008, 06:39 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default is it the right belt? They may have a late NG belt on the car which has a more rounded edge on the

teeth which could casue slippage. If they did some head work and got the wrong belt, see if you can get a number off the belt when you turn it by hand.
Old 02-21-2008, 08:33 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Mark the tooth on the sprocket as well as the belt with white-out. See if anything changes

Quick Reply: audi coupe gt timing issues