Chevy 4.3l swap

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2019, 01:16 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Chevy 4.3l swap

So I talked to Kennedy today and they told me it is possible to make up a 4.3 with my 4000 (5cyl) transaxle. Which I understand is common knowledge. However as the man Brett at Kennedy told me he hasnt actually ever seen anyone do it in a 4000. I cannot seem to find it done either. I know I know I'm gonna hear the usually just do a "AAN or 10v turbo swap bruh, it's well documented". Well I have 2 big problems. As much as everyone says it's super well documented I've only seen about 2 good write ups after literally months of research. And my other problem is I live in Alaska. Everything here is even more expensive (even though you are unlikely to find what you are looking for) and shipping prices are insane, if someone is willing to ship here. I can find sbc stuff here reasonably. So now my question is will it fit? I know a sbc 350 has got to be somewhat long for a 4000 not to mention heavy. But what about a 4.3? Any input?
​​​​

Last edited by Alaskan4kq; 01-04-2019 at 03:57 PM.
Old 01-04-2019, 04:03 PM
AudiWorld Member

That's a lot of lead up front for sure, especially considering that the entire block is ahead of the front axle. You'll need to consider a few things for sure like:
- Supports for the block
- Fuel/Air Solutions
- Input shaft and bellhouse mating
- engine bay clearance

These are just a few things that come to mind. I feel like that's gonna make the car understeer like a freight train. Keep us posted. Cheers
Old 01-04-2019, 10:35 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Well, I know you can fit an Audi V8 in a 4000, so I'm sure it would work. I've even heard of a W8, though I've never seen on personally. If nobody's ever done it I'm all for it. I know nothing about Chevys but the one benefit of the Audi V8 is that it's aluminum and actually lighter than the I5. Any weight you can get out of the nose is all the better.

And I agree on the "well documented" line. Just because a lot of people have done it doesn't mean they've posted all the gory details.

-Rog
Old 01-05-2019, 06:31 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Thanks Rog, it is actually your swap that is one of the best documented that I have found. I will post my progress when I get started.
Old 01-05-2019, 10:35 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Erik Myers
That's a lot of lead up front for sure, especially considering that the entire block is ahead of the front axle. You'll need to consider a few things for sure like:
- Supports for the block
- Fuel/Air Solutions
- Input shaft and bellhouse mating
- engine bay clearance

These are just a few things that come to mind. I feel like that's gonna make the car understeer like a freight train. Keep us posted. Cheers
I'm not awfully worried about air/ fuel, I've solved that problem with a few stock cars I put together. But that engine bay clearance has be a little worried. I'm I can fabricate some engine mounts. However getting the engine clearance from the cross member and axles, things if the sort have me a little concerned. Kennedy has the kit for mating everything together. You have a point with the understeer though. Not sure if there is a way to mitigate that issue? The 4.3 is about 200# heavier than the i5. Any ideas on weight transfer would be greatly appreciated. Maybe I run the battery and fuel cell further back?
Old 01-05-2019, 11:39 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Alaskan4kq
Thanks Rog, it is actually your swap that is one of the best documented that I have found. I will post my progress when I get started.
Thanks! I'm just bummed all the pictures are gone. Nothing on the internet lasts forever (which is why I'll never "buy" a digital movie).

Dang, 200 pounds heavier. I suppose it would sit slightly farther back, which is good. And I will say that Audi/VW did a good job engineering their cars for longitudinally-mounted FWD/AWD engines, so you're not completely up against a wall to begin with.

-Rog
Old 01-06-2019, 06:25 PM
AudiWorld Member

I wonder, why the 4.3? Is that just what you have laying around? And what's wrong with the 4000? Or is this more of an experiment.
Old 01-06-2019, 06:46 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

There is a few reasons I was thinking 4.3. I currently don't have one but I could buy one any day of the week here in Anchorage Alaska via Craiglist. So the availability is part of the allure. Currently there is nothing wrong with my 4000. However the motor does have 214000miles on it and it needs a timing belt soon. Rather than dumping the time and energy into a slug of a motor I figured upgrade now, since I want something with a bit more pep. The 4.3 has a much greater power potential than the i5 even if I was to do a full rebuild on the i5. I am also much more familiar with the Chevy motors. Anything that goes wrong with the engine I should be able to diagnose quickly. With the CIS stuff I'm generally shooting in the dark. Also I can much more easily run an efi system on the 4.3. The 034 Motorsports and megasquirt stuff looks dreadful to me. So that's where I'm at. Any other ideas I'm totally open minded?
Old 01-06-2019, 06:49 PM
AudiWorld Member

Well your location really does put a damper on things. What about a straight 6? I don't know but there are several options out there for them, especially with BMW. Not sure about up there though. I totally agree, it has taken me ages to learn the CIS and even then parts aren't easy to come by. Are there junkyard options up there?
Old 01-06-2019, 07:00 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I would be happy to look. Most of the stuff in junkyards up here leave a lot to be desired. A lot of the stuff is generally pretty new cars or they get crushed. Old cars like anything pre2000 seems to dissolve up here. Most of the market up here is domestic and Toyota. There is 1 Audi dealership and one BMW dealership in the state I believe. Though I heard a Nissan dealership services Audi in Fairbanks. Took me 4 years to find a 4000.

Quick Reply: Chevy 4.3l swap