First Car 4KQ

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2014, 05:24 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First Car 4KQ

My dad is picking up a 1985 Audi 4000s Quattro this Friday. It'll be my first car and it hasn't ran in over 10 years. It's going to be a project car that we're going to bring back to life. It has a lot of body work that needs to be done and again, it still doesn't run and we have no clue what the reason is yet. What are some common problems with this car? Also, what are some good mods?
Old 09-30-2014, 06:08 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

That was my 15 yr old son. I wanted him to start the thread. He's more about mods research than getting it running research. He will learn through sweat equity. Im a shade tree mechanic and have always loved 80's German cars as that was my high school generation. I worked at a Benz, BMW, Porsche dealer as a porter thru high school. How i found this car...I helped a friend of a friend move and noticed an 85 4000sq sitting idle in her drive way. She said it wouldn't start and she took it to a private audi mechanic and he failed. Been sitting since 2001. She wanted to donate it to charity for scrap. I made her a deal....I will take the car and if i get it running i will pay u 300.00. If i cant....she can the donation company. Im a shade tree mechanic with some skills but the audi is new to me. Ive been researching this forum and reading builds and fixes. We are going to start with the fuel distributor as the culprit. I will post pics after pic up this week. He will be doing most of the pictures and posting (gotta earn it). Wish us luck !
Old 09-30-2014, 07:58 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

That's pretty awesome. I can almost guarantee the fuel system is glued shut. Heck, with that new ethanol crap they'll plug up in only a few months of sitting...

I'd take all the injector lines off and clean those, take the fuel distributor off (three bolts holding it to the air meter) and spray every orifice with carb cleaner, and especially work the plunger up and down (gently) until it's moving freely. The fuel pump is likely glued tight as well. You can sometimes free them up by switching the polarity of the wires back and forth.

And definitely drain the tank. If what comes out looks bad you'll probably have to remove the tank and use toilet bowl cleaner (or a CLR-type product) to clean it out. But then it'll be good as new.

You might also consider new injectors, just because they're fairly cheap and it's hard to rejuvenate old ones sometimes.

That's really about all that can go drastically wrong with them. If it doesn't run, 9 out of 10 times it's the fuel side of the triangle on these.

-Rog
Old 10-01-2014, 06:38 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks Rog ! good advice. Especially on the toilet bowl or CLR cleaning trick.
We will get some pics up this weekend and post the progress.
Old 10-02-2014, 04:36 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Let me know if you need parts

We are going to start with the fuel distributor as the culprit.

This is great! I have my Dad's 87 4kq and I have loved this thing since he brought it home(maybe before). The car has some rust, though. And I picked up another one that's rust free, so I'm reluctantly parting this one out. I know the complete history of the car and it runs and passes SMOG. So if you need anything to get yours going, let me know and I'll help you as best I can. I'm not necessarily trying to profit from parting/selling this car, but I'm way too busy to spend time pulling parts for nothing, you know? I just want to keep the 4kq culture alive. Honestly, I'd love to keep it and race lemons, build a rally car, or....but I have too many projects. So, message me if you need anything. Can't wait for pics!

P.S. If you do need a new fuel distributor(usually that's not the case IME), get a complete one from a running car. The assemblies (the big plunger in the top of the airbox) are machined to match the orifice and they don't like to be exchanged.
Old 10-03-2014, 06:24 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks for the offer on parts ! I was sweating sourcing parts that are no longer MFG'd. Once we dig into it, im sure i will be messaging you for some purchases. We are picking it up tonight and will posts pics later tonight or tomorrow AM. My son i very pumped...as am I !!
Old 10-03-2014, 06:43 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

As she sat since 2001

No sunroof seal, hopefully the floorboards aren't rusted out.

96 on the clock

Oops, she forgot to close this window for 13 years.

Paint job last.

Ghost parts disassembled.

13 years of leaves.

Ditto leaves.

New fuel injectors.

Sweet 80s speakers.

Yep, last year of registration was 2001.

Loaded up and ready for a rebirth.

Old 10-03-2014, 09:40 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Looks like a good car to rescue. Hopefully it's not too much to get it going. Funny, it looks like the same color as my '85:

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/aud...oject-2790954/

It was repainted from Titian red though, looks like yours was originally that color? Should be LB7V Black Graphite Metallic if it is. The bummer is that all their metallics had a clear coat and those usually don't fare well. At least the single-stage colors can be restored fairly easily.

If it all comes together, you going to stay with the same color?

-Rog
Old 10-04-2014, 05:24 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

The color is original and i like it. Suprisingly my son likes the OEM wheels. I prefer more of a BBS basket weave style. Couldnt find anything remotely close on the web in a 4x108 15" on the web. Cant believe this car has locking diff's. Heck my 99 Cherokee built for wheeling dosent have them. I hope im not in over my head on this project....Regardless im not a quitter and such a sucker for 80's german cars (last was a BMW E30 85' 325E. Fun little car but miserable in the snowy mountains of Utah. PO is really happy im trying to save this ride from the scrap yard. She said it was the best driving car she has ever owned. My son and I will keep posting progress and pics. Time to pull and drain the tank and the rest of the fuel system. Here we go !!!!!!!!
Old 10-04-2014, 05:30 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

BTW Rog i did read your entire build. Yours and a couple others inspired me to take on this challenge. I hope i can get her running and add value to this site for others in the same situation.

Quick Reply: First Car 4KQ