Fuel regulator question

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2002, 09:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel regulator question

My car has never really felt right at startup. It chokes, gags and shakes something fierce, then eventually warms up and runs decent. Lately though, being cold as it is, the car now lurches some when still cold and I'm wondering if that has to do with the fuel regulator. It just feels like it's not getting enough gas.

Chris
86 4kq
Old 01-10-2002, 08:04 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default 2 cents worth

Chris since you always reply to all, I'll just state what I would try with my limited knowledge. First make sure your injectors are working (no leaking seals etc) and clean, then make sure your air intake is clean. Next trace the fuel line back to the filter (may be a good time to change!) and finally to the pumps. I am sure pumps won't be cheap, however I know that our local junk yard in Richmond (you're not far!) have 2 5000 and a Coupe GT. I would guess the pumps are still there if you'd like to test by using the used ones from there if they fit. I don't have a Bentley to check that for you unfortunately. You could very well have a pump that isn't working well when cold and as it heats up it gets crankin again.

Junk yard can be reached here:
Chesterfield Auto Parts Company
5111 Old Midlothian Tpke.
Richmond, VA. 23224
(804) 233-5484

I hope that helps
Dimitri
Old 01-10-2002, 07:30 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Default eehokie's on the right track, but for cold start problems, check the following:

1. Cold start valve - Adds extra fuel at startup to keep the engine running into warmup. A bad one will cause exactly what you describe.

2. Thermo-time switch - controls the cold start valve. Also a likely culprit, probably a better place to start since it's usually cheaper.

3. Auxiliary air valve - On the back of the engine underneath the intake manifold, this has a bimetal spring inside a small hole running to the intake, to allow extra air into the manifold along with the CSV's extra fuel, for higher idle when cold. As the engine warms up, the spring expands and closes off the opening. This is, I believe, also(at least partially) controlled by the thermo-time switch; it has an electrical plug that helps warms the spring more regularly.

4. Warmup regulator - This is bolted to your block, and allows more fuel through during cold start. These rarely go bad, and tend to be very expensive. If this turns out to be the case, I think I have one laying around that I'll send you.

Since you said it only does it until warmup, this leads me to believe that the pump, injectors, and filter are not suspect, but it never hurts to change your filter too, just to be on the safe side.

Man, I've fooled with CIS too much. That's all off the top of my head.
Old 01-10-2002, 11:16 PM

Default It's like this

I really don't have a problem starting the car, but lately the acceleration has been choppy when the engine is cold. It just feels like it's not getting enough gas frankly. By the way, I have the original spark plug wires after 200k miles...change time? Who sells good ones inexpensively?
Old 01-11-2002, 08:26 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 200K on the original wires?! Eek! Change them!

Sounds like ti's time for a full tune-up. Plugs, cap, rotor button and wires! Check out http://www.audiquattroparts.com/tuneup/tune_up_kits.htm They have full kits (including all of the above, all high quality parts) for only $99.95 for your car! Not too bad if you ask me.<ul><li><a href="http://www.audiquattroparts.com/tuneup/tune_up_kits.htm">http://www.audiquattroparts.com/tuneup/tune_up_kits.htm</a</li></ul>
Old 01-11-2002, 02:28 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Default Yeah, change those wires, and do a full tune-up while you're at it.

If it's not getting enough gas when cold, any of the things I listed can cause that problem. Do the tune-up first, then see where you stand after that. duandcc is right, $99 isn't bad at all for a tune-up.