Fueling issue on 1984 Audi coupe GT

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2018, 12:45 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fueling issue on 1984 Audi coupe GT

My 1984 Audi coupe GT for about a month I would have to crank and hold down the gas for about 10 seconds before it would start and finally it wont start but will crank and we tested and it does get spark so we are fairly certain that its a fueling issue i am wondering what it could be, like a fuel pump or if something else in the fuel injection system.
Old 07-15-2018, 07:03 AM
AudiWorld Member

If it absolutely won’t start, my guess is the fuel pump. Mine did that exact same thing when the pump gave out. It barely started and ran for a few seconds then quit. After that it just kept cranking and cranking. First off make sure you are hearing the fuel pump cycle on. At least with my car I can hear the telltale hum of the fuel pump when I first turn the key and it primes the system. I would also make sure your fuel filter is good. If it hasn’t been changed for a while, it’s a relatively cheap fix for a little peace of mind. Beyond those two things, you can start checking your fuel pump relay, fuel accumulator, fuel pressure regulator, etc. Just keep moving through the system until you find the culprit.
Old 07-15-2018, 08:50 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by TEF1701
If it absolutely won’t start, my guess is the fuel pump. Mine did that exact same thing when the pump gave out. It barely started and ran for a few seconds then quit. After that it just kept cranking and cranking. First off make sure you are hearing the fuel pump cycle on. At least with my car I can hear the telltale hum of the fuel pump when I first turn the key and it primes the system. I would also make sure your fuel filter is good. If it hasn’t been changed for a while, it’s a relatively cheap fix for a little peace of mind. Beyond those two things, you can start checking your fuel pump relay, fuel accumulator, fuel pressure regulator, etc. Just keep moving through the system until you find the culprit.
we actually found out it was, the air filter had like a bees nest in it so i wasn't getting air so now i'm going through and just going to replace all the filters and change the oils. But I am running into that cant find the little yellow plastic fuel filter unless they where changed from plastic to metal aftermarket? i also have 2 fuel filters and am wondering if there are 2 to began with or if someone added the second on later?
Old 07-16-2018, 01:51 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by R83960
i also have 2 fuel filters and am wondering if there are 2 to began with or if someone added the second on later?
On my car, Bosch part number 71031 is listed as the primary, but a footnote says a secondary filter is required. What's even more confusing is what Bosch shows as the primary filter (before the pump) looks exactly like what everyone else shows as the secondary filter (after the pump). Every part supplier lists both a primary and a secondary fuel filter, but just like Bosch, most show the same part for both. My uncle, who was the original owner of the car, said he's only ever seen one filter on the car, and I only see one mounting location for a large secondary filter. You could probably find an aftermarket one that fits, but the outlet from the tank and the inlet to the pump is 5/8", which is pretty big.