Ignition timing help! 2.3 NG

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2013, 04:44 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ignition timing help! 2.3 NG

my coupe has the 2.3l NG and i have no idea how to set the ignition timing. I know its set improperly and I cant find timing marks anywhere. Ive read that you just set the distributor to #1 TDC and leave it up to the ecu to control the timing. Is that completely true? and what does the ecu use to measure the timing other than the knock senor? which is new
Old 10-30-2013, 06:27 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Jason_wlp
my coupe has the 2.3l NG and i have no idea how to set the ignition timing. I know its set improperly and I cant find timing marks anywhere. Ive read that you just set the distributor to #1 TDC and leave it up to the ecu to control the timing. Is that completely true? and what does the ecu use to measure the timing other than the knock senor? which is new
Where did you read that? That's completely wrong. Timing marks are on the flywheel visible through a port near the top of the bell housing. I believe the factory setting for the 2.2 5 was 6 btdc in order to run on 87 octane and for the 2.3 they increased it to something like 16 and mandated 91 octane for better throttle response (1988 and on). If I remember correctly, you must disconnect the coolant temp sensor before checking with your light. You might also have to unplug and plug a vacuum line somewhere. Maybe someone has the manual handy that can clarify.
Old 10-30-2013, 01:19 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Okay, sounds like two different issues. First you need to find the timing marks, per above. More specifically, the driver side of the bell housing is where you look to see the mark on the fly wheel. If possible, rotate the engine by hand (clockwise), until you see the mark and put a dot of paint on it. Otherwise it'll be nearly impossible to see when the engine is running.

Next, while you have that mark showing in the window at TDC (there should be a step or mark on the window that you line up with the flywheel mark), verify that the dot on the camshaft sprocket is showing through a window at the BACK of the timing cover. It should line up with the edge of the valve cover, also driver side of the engine. If it's not showing then rotate the engine again until the flywheel mark is at TDC and then you should see it (the flywheel mark shows twice per one showing of the cam sprocket dot). If it still doesn't show then the timing belt may be off. I won't get into that unless you do have that problem.

Finally, verify that the distributor rotor is centrally located on the mark at the edge of the distributor housing or that it's centrally located on the #1 spark plug contact (should be the same, but you may not have a mark).

Now it's all at TDC and you can go from there.

To set the timing to the correct specification, first get the engine up to temp, so do it after a short drive or something. On this system you need to put a fuse (any rating) in the top of the fuel pump relay and wait for the engine light to come on. If it does, the ECU is telling you it's okay to set the timing. Leave the fuse in the relay for the duration of the procedure.

Now you can set the timing with a light as you would on any other car, using the (hopefully painted at this point) timing mark on the flywheel. It should be set to the vicinity of 14-16 degrees advanced, shoot for 15.

Then you can remove the fuse and rev the engine past 2500 and see how she idles. The idle speed is not adjustable on these, so if it's not running properly with the correct timing then that probably means someone set the timing incorrectly to get around a different problem, such as a vacuum leak. Now that you have the proper timing you can go hunting for that kind of stuff if you need to.

Whew, I think that's about it. Report back as to how it goes.

-Rog

Last edited by Rogviler; 10-30-2013 at 01:22 PM.
Old 10-31-2013, 06:53 PM
AudiWorld Member

One thing that I found critical is the use of a timing light with either a manual or digital advance. There are no numbers stamped on the bellhousing, just a tab inside the bellhousing window that you use to line up TDC. With a timing light with advance, you set the dial on the light to 15° and then adjust the dizzy until the mark on the flywheel is aligned with the top edge of the tab in the bellhousing. I never saw a need for one of those lights until I bought my CGT. Otherwise your just guessing on where 15° is.
Old 12-01-2013, 01:52 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Jason_wlp
Your are basically correct. According to Bently (official factory repair manual) you want to want set piston #1 at TDC. You should confirm that by checking the zero degree mark on the flywheel. You also want to check to be sure the mark on the cam sproket is aligned with the top of the head on the driver's side of the engine. When you've done both of these set the distbutor rotor so it is in line with mark on the distributor body. That's all you have to do. The ignition has a seperate electronic control unit to manage the timing. It will advance or retard the timing approriately. The control unit is located in the center consol.

The NG engine uses CIS-E III and the above proceedure is ONLY applicable to these engines.

Last edited by flagreen; 12-01-2013 at 01:56 PM.
Old 12-03-2013, 09:46 AM
AudiWorld Member

Not to start an argument, but you definitely have to set the timing between 13 and 17 degrees manually. The only way for an ignition system to automatically set the timing is if it has a crankshaft position sensor, which these don't have. Otherwise the computer has no way of knowing where the pistons are at. My Bentley manual gives a complete step by step for setting the timing, and it's all manual. The only thing that is automatically set on the CIS-E3 system is the idle speed. It actually states specifically that it cannot and should not be adjusted.

UPDATE: I've attached the pages from my Bentley manual describing the timing adjustment procedure for the CIS-E3 ignition system. You put a fuse in the top of the fuel pump relay, disconnect the crankcase breather hose, and set the timing. Because there are no numbered timing marks on the flywheel, you have to use a timing light with advance, as I said in my previous post.
Attached Images   

Last edited by TEF1701; 12-03-2013 at 08:28 PM.
Old 12-04-2013, 07:21 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by TEF1701
Not to start an argument, but you definitely have to set the timing between 13 and 17 degrees manually. The only way for an ignition system to automatically set the timing is if it has a crankshaft position sensor, which these don't have. Otherwise the computer has no way of knowing where the pistons are at. My Bentley manual gives a complete step by step for setting the timing, and it's all manual. The only thing that is automatically set on the CIS-E3 system is the idle speed. It actually states specifically that it cannot and should not be adjusted.

UPDATE: I've attached the pages from my Bentley manual describing the timing adjustment procedure for the CIS-E3 ignition system. You put a fuse in the top of the fuel pump relay, disconnect the crankcase breather hose, and set the timing. Because there are no numbered timing marks on the flywheel, you have to use a timing light with advance, as I said in my previous post.
Yes thank you for correcting me. The above proceedure is in my Bentley too (page 28.38 in my copy). I was going by page 28.36 in my copy of Bentley which shows the basic distributor adjustment.