Intermitent no start problen, help?

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2005, 05:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Intermitent no start problen, help?

I have encountered an intermitent no start problem with my 4kq. When I turn the key I get the hum from the fuel pump but nothing else. I first thought that I might not have the clutch fully engaged and was not tripping the saftey switch at the clutch. after stomping on the clutch peddel and retrying the key she would start. Now with the clutch fully engaged I will still get a no start condition, but with multiple turns of the key she will fire right up. Bad ignition switch? I ordered an ignition switch from Autohaus AZ this morning, ONLY $6.39!! Can this be right? less than $10 to solve a no start problem?
Is there anything I should be aware of when replacing the switch? Any BTDT advice from the sage Audi mechanics out there?
TIA, Ray
Old 11-11-2005, 05:51 AM
AudiWorld Uber User

Default i'd start with the ignition switch.

could also be a broken wire to the starter, or a bad starter itself. seems to be a lot of that going around these days.
Old 11-11-2005, 08:47 AM
AudiWorld Super User

What Evilclown said.... 2nd vote
Old 11-11-2005, 12:31 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Ah yes! Im an expert here :)

This happened on BOTH of my cars within a week! Check ignition switch before removing it. What I do, is get a jumper wire and jumper the terminal that goes to the starter (red with black stripe) with the large red power wire on the ignition switch connector.
There is a small wire on the top right side of the starter that gets a feed from the ignition switch. What I did (and got quite accustomed to doing) was check for voltage at that wire when I would either use the key, or jumper the wire with a jumper wire.
If there is voltage with the jumper wire and none with the key, the ignition switch is more than likely bad.
I had a combination bad starter/iggy switch. Kinda fun to diagnose, but with Frank's help, I was able to sort it out. I even relayed the ignition switch itself, with Franks help.
Starter RR is simple, takes maybe 20 mins
Ignition switch RR is simple too. The first time it took me a few hours, the 2nd time 15 mins, because I cheated and dremeled some stuff off
Old 11-11-2005, 01:07 PM

Default Thanks,I can usually recognise a bad starter by ear so it must be the switch.

I'll swap that out when I get it (3 days) and see if that solves the problem. When the parts are chaep I figure that wholesale parts replacement is the best approach. Anything that I should be aware of in replacing the ignition switch? Like hidden screws or rivited fasteners or crap like that? How hard can it be, right?
Thanks for the input,
Ray
Old 11-11-2005, 02:04 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default There is a hidden screw

To get that sucker out, you gotta remove the steering wheel and these silly washers and spring, as well as the small top and bottom plastic pieces.
I had one hell of a time getting those washers off on my 4k. I honestly do not know what purpose that spring poses. Once that spring is off, there is one allen bolt that needs removed. After that, tug on the assembly and it will slide off. You will see on the backside the lone screw that holds the ignition switch in. After that, installation is reverse of whatever
Old 11-11-2005, 04:49 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

nearest i can tell, that spring keeps the inner part of the bearing in place.