New '86 CGT Owner

Old 10-09-2018, 06:30 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New '86 CGT Owner

Hello, fellow "vintage" Audi owners! A couple months ago I picked up a 1986 Audi CGT. The second owner dropped in an NF engine from a 100 and also deleted the a/c; he apparently used it as a race car. After a couple more owners it came into my hands. So far my work on it has been just some minor tinkering/fixing up here and there.
  • Had the rear sway bar driver's side attachment point cut out and spot welded (it had ripped out);
  • Installed the Thule roof rack and cargo box (truth be told I really want a cargo basket);
  • Removed the front seats and installed new guide rail clips;
  • Disassembled the passenger side dash and installed the glove box;
  • "Manufactured" (i.e. jury rigged) a tension bolt/washer to stabilize the antenna;
  • Removed, disassembled, and cleaned the front passenger side turn signal assembly;
  • Flushed and refilled the brake fluid;
  • Replaced the 16" racing wheels with 15" wheels and new tires; and
  • Did an oil change.
The spot welding and the wheels/tires were a bit expensive. Everything else I did on my own for less than $100 total, I'm guessing....

Last night, though, a new problem arose. A couple times I would depress the clutch pedal all the way but the car wouldn't shift out of gear. In fact, it felt like the clutch was still engaged as even with the pedal all the way in the car inched forward (and I was not on a decline). From what I've read online, it sounds like I likely need to replace the master cylinder, but I wanted to put it to the hive mind to get everyone else's sense of whether I'm on the right track or if I should be looking at something else.

And now . . . the obligatory pics. . . .