New Coupe GT Owner

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2015, 09:29 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Coupe GT Owner

I bought a 1986 Coupe GT last Sunday. It has ~132,000 miles, though the Odometer doesn't work, so I'm not sure on actual miles. The goal is to make this car daily reliable by Summer while I'm in university. All I've done since I got it is change the oil and put new brake pads on.

My list of things to get done goes roughly in this order:
Difficult shifting(I think clutch leak)
Parking brake(works, but doesn't lock on)
Rough idle
New front tires
Dash lights
New exhaust(Sounds loose and with no tone)

Anyway, here are some pictures!
Attached Images   
Old 02-10-2015, 11:17 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Oh yeah, and she cuts out at around 5k under full throttle. I am guessing fuel pump/filter.
Old 02-23-2015, 06:57 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Nice car! I just got one, same year, 280,000 miles and running strong. Time to get to work! Cleaning everything, then replacing gaskets and then on to the lifters. This forum doesn't seem densely populated, but I'd like to help change that!
Old 03-02-2015, 07:05 AM
AudiWorld Member

Welcome and congrats!

I'd check to see if your shifter linkage is set up right. If the shifter alignment isn't correct, it could cause difficult shifting. Wouldn't hurt to bleed the clutch slave either. May help with the shifting. Parking brake just needs to be adjusted/tightened. Rough idle may be your ISV is just a bit gummed up. This is easily remedied by removing the ISV, spraying some Carb Cleaner inside of it, and cycling the ISV with 12V to remove the gunk. Clean it up and pop it back in. Dash lights may just need to be replaced or there is a loose connection in the back of the cluster.
Old 03-02-2015, 07:05 AM
AudiWorld Member

It wouldn't hurt to change the fuel filter. See if that helps your cutting out issue
Old 03-02-2015, 07:08 AM
AudiWorld Member

Another thing regarding your ~5000 RPM cut out - make sure that the fuel pump relay is correct. If someone replaced it in the past with one from a 4 cylinder car, it would have the same symptoms.
Old 03-05-2015, 07:16 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by AudiCoupeGT1986
Welcome and congrats!

I'd check to see if your shifter linkage is set up right. If the shifter alignment isn't correct, it could cause difficult shifting. Wouldn't hurt to bleed the clutch slave either. May help with the shifting. Parking brake just needs to be adjusted/tightened. Rough idle may be your ISV is just a bit gummed up. This is easily remedied by removing the ISV, spraying some Carb Cleaner inside of it, and cycling the ISV with 12V to remove the gunk. Clean it up and pop it back in. Dash lights may just need to be replaced or there is a loose connection in the back of the cluster.
Yeah, this was the issue. The shifter wasn't sitting quite right and now it's better. Still a little stiff into first when cold, but otherwise good.

Parking brake needs adjusting, but the locking mechanism is still broken. I think I'm just gonna hacksaw up an aluminum piece that fits in there to wedge it in.

I'll take a look at the ISV!

Originally Posted by AudiCoupeGT1986
Another thing regarding your ~5000 RPM cut out - make sure that the fuel pump relay is correct. If someone replaced it in the past with one from a 4 cylinder car, it would have the same symptoms.
I replaced it with one from O'Reilly, and they knew it was the 5 cyl, but I'm not sure if it's still correct or now.
Old 03-05-2015, 10:45 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I can guarantee parts stores are going to give you the 4-cylinder fuel pump relay, as they list the same part number for both engines. The annoying part is that I have yet to find a reliable source for them new. Your best bet may be a junkyard or posting a WTB ad on here or Motorgeek. Failing that, eBay. Just make sure they know which is which. I'll see if I can find the correct part number.

-Rog
Old 03-06-2015, 11:31 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks, a part number would be awesome!
Old 03-08-2015, 03:08 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Do you think this is the correct part and number?

$15 Audi Fuel Pump Relay 5000 Coupe Models 5 Cylinder 443907385F

Quick Reply: New Coupe GT Owner