Pressing sway bar link bushings without removing the control arm

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2013, 05:18 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pressing sway bar link bushings without removing the control arm

Thought I'd share this experience with you guys. I'm sure many of you have done stuff like this before. But if you're more of a shade tree mechanic, like myself, this may be of some use. This is one part of a bigger job I'm wrapping up on my '86 4000 CS quattro including wheel bearings, tie rod ends, ball joints, an axle, and all the sway bar bushings.

Before I got started, I tried doing some research online about pressing bushings without a press. I came across a lot of control arm bushing write-ups and videos, but not much about sway bar bushings and nothing that had much to do with our cars. While the process is similar to the control arm bushings and other types of bushings, it's not exactly the same. One of the problems is the shape of our sway bar link bushings. In this case I'm talking about the lower link bushing (the one that presses into the control arm). The other problem is that it's kinda soft. By trying to use techniques I read about online such as bolt and washers and C clamps, all I was doing was smashing the bushing into a pancake. It would expand well beyond the edge of the hole and when this would happen, all I was doing is pushing material against the control arm. I needed a way to keep the bushing from deforming so this is what I did.

Here we have the bushing (Audi part # 857407474 purchased from jimellisaudiparts.com and I will say, they were kind of tough to find), a small piece of tube that the bushing fits into snugly, a long bolt that fits into the hole of the bushing snugly (I believe I used a 5/16), a couple washers that fit into the tube nicely (I believe those were also 5/16), and some bigger washers to against the bottom of the hole (I think those were 1/2). Name:  photo11_zps00f885fc.jpg
Views: 1021
Size:  193.7 KB
There is no need to use a socket or other receptacle on the opposite side to make room for the bushing coming through. Reason being, much like getting a virgin to go all the way, once you get the tip in, you're home free. Using just washers on the opposite side also helps keep it straight and stable. The trick here is using the tube to keep the bushing from squishing out all over the place. In this case, I used a plastic tube cause it was the best fitting piece I could find at Home Depot, but I would recommend using metal. The plastic tube worked for me, but the piece I used on the first one stretched and would not work on the second one. Then I had another one crack on me.

I put the bushing in the tube along with plenty of soapy water. About one part liquid dish soap and one part water.
Name:  photo21_zps33402c08.jpg
Views: 1023
Size:  115.0 KB

Then I put the bolt with the washers through the bushing and placed it at the opening in the control arm.
Name:  photo3_zps8270e938.jpg
Views: 1041
Size:  144.4 KB

This is a view from underneath. These bigger washers fit almost perfectly over the opening. This helped me keep the bolt centered.
Name:  photo4_zps832a8797.jpg
Views: 1042
Size:  116.5 KB

With a little more soapy water, I started cranking away. You can see here the bushing being compressed in the tube without be pressed outward. Just be careful the tube doesn't slide up.
Name:  photo5_zps6d4639f1.jpg
Views: 980
Size:  120.0 KB

And that's about it!

I'll add that I tried this same technique with the upper link bushings that press into the ends of the sway bar itself (Audi part # 857407473A, again purchased at jimellisaudiparts.com, and again, tough to find) seen here:
Name:  photo_zpsfd45bb89.jpg
Views: 1600
Size:  67.8 KB
but it wasn't happening. I think the problem is that the end of the sway bar isn't perfectly flat. There's a slight curve to the opening leaving a tiny gap between the bar and the metal tube I was using. When compressing the bushing, that tiny gap was enough to let the bushing expand though it and then it would pop the tube off. But since the sway bar is easy to remove and was off anyway, I took it to a machine shop. Although, even having a machine shop do it wasn't that easy. The first one I went to took one look at it and turned me away. Luckily I found a great little machine shop in my area called Autosport that specializes in vintage European cars. They got it done but they did tell me it was a pain in the *** and took two guys to do it.

Hopefully this information is helpful. I'll post some other info on how I did my wheel bearings later.

Last edited by Joeltron; 08-25-2013 at 06:15 PM.
Old 08-25-2013, 09:46 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

That's a great trick. Expansion is the biggest pain with pressing squishy bushings, so doing it kind of like piston rings is nifty.

Did you do the wheel bearings without a press as well? Definitely looking forward to that if you did. They were a pain in the *** with a press, I'd love to know a trick without, especially if it's easier.

-Rog
Old 08-26-2013, 08:34 AM
AudiWorld Member

Great write-up! Not sure if you are also on the quattroworld forums but you should add this to the DIY FAQ on the B2 forum there as well!
Old 08-26-2013, 06:06 PM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks guys!

I think I have a quattroworld account but I haven't been over there in ages. I'll have to check on that.

Rog - Yes, I did do my wheel bearings without a press and while still installed on the car. I'll write something up later this week. Stay tuned!
Old 07-19-2016, 11:01 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Freeze!

It also helps if you freeze you bushing before pressing them