Successful window regulator rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2014, 07:11 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Successful window regulator rebuild

I posted a while back about needing some replacement (OEM or aftermarket) window regulators, since the cables in mine were shredded and bound up inside the spool. Well the long and short of it is I successfully rebuilt both regulators, and they work like new. I took the motor and spool assembly, along with the cable from a four door '87 4000. The angle of the window track is different between the CGT and 4000, but that's fine because my track was in fine shape. They are easy enough to swap anyway. The biggest problem was the guide sleeve that keeps the cable straight and centered as it goes into the spool was broken. I ended up using some 1/2" pvc pipe to make new sleeves. It was a long shot, but I made it through the whole summer without any issues. I'll post some pictures as soon as I sort through them.
Old 10-06-2014, 12:09 PM
AudiWorld Member

I've attached the pictures from my window regulator build. Aside from building new guide sleeves, I took the entire spool/motor assembly apart, and I degreased and then regreased all of the inner workings.

#1-3: The sleeves that I built to allow the original guide sleeve to stay centered in the spool. It's 1/2" pvc with set screws to hold it in place, and then I used heavy duty epoxy to seal the sleeve to the spool body. You have to grease the inside of the new sleeve to allow it to slide easily.

#4: You can see the angle difference between the 4000 and the CGT.

#5: The finished product with the new sleeves and using the original track, carriage, and cable from my CGT to get the angle right. I hadn't put the carriage assembly back on yet, but you get the idea.
Attached Images      
Old 10-06-2014, 10:44 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

That's great. So frustrating when you know the motor is good, it's just the snarl of cable that's the problem. I'll definitely have to give it a go one of these days.

-Rog
Old 10-07-2014, 05:47 PM
AudiWorld Member

It really wasn't too terrible. After I figured out how I wanted to fix it, it only took me around 4 hours to completely rebuild the thing from start to finish. The main problem in my original one was in the spool itself. The cable had gotten bound up and it destroyed the grooves in the spool. With no grooves to ride in, the cable overlapped itself which caused it to fray. It was just a big pile of mess. On the up side I have a spare working motor if this one ever bites the bullet. I think I'm going to grab any window regulator I find at the yards just in case. If it's just the cable that's bad, you can buy new cable by the foot at Lowe's or Home Depot. It's just 3/32" cable, but you have to bond the ends really well or else it will separate from the carriage assembly. I can give step by step instructions for those who are interested.
Old 10-09-2014, 10:25 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by TEF1701
It really wasn't too terrible. After I figured out how I wanted to fix it, it only took me around 4 hours to completely rebuild the thing from start to finish. The main problem in my original one was in the spool itself. The cable had gotten bound up and it destroyed the grooves in the spool. With no grooves to ride in, the cable overlapped itself which caused it to fray. It was just a big pile of mess. On the up side I have a spare working motor if this one ever bites the bullet. I think I'm going to grab any window regulator I find at the yards just in case. If it's just the cable that's bad, you can buy new cable by the foot at Lowe's or Home Depot. It's just 3/32" cable, but you have to bond the ends really well or else it will separate from the carriage assembly. I can give step by step instructions for those who are interested.
Digging up an old post but I'd be interested in in a step-by-step.
Old 10-11-2014, 08:09 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by AudiCoupeGT1986
Digging up an old post but I'd be interested in in a step-by-step.
Sure thing. I'll write one up and post it as soon as I have a chance.
Old 10-14-2014, 12:45 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by TEF1701
Sure thing. I'll write one up and post it as soon as I have a chance.
Thanks! It would be much appreciated.
Old 11-06-2014, 09:05 AM
AudiWorld Member

hi i am interested i know you get different types of cable does it matter or not?
Old 11-06-2014, 06:03 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by mar5den
hi i am interested i know you get different types of cable does it matter or not?
You will have to open up the regulator and compare the cable inside to something at Lowe's or Home Depot. I didn't have to replace mine, so I can't tell you exactly what type of cable it is.

Last edited by TEF1701; 11-06-2014 at 06:25 PM.
Old 02-27-2015, 03:01 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default THANK YOU !

My 83/84 coupe Gt is in need of this repair. Other then that the car is near perfect and so much fun to drive. It has 29805 original miles on it.

Quick Reply: Successful window regulator rebuild