Tail light out but brake light works

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2013, 02:49 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tail light out but brake light works

Kind of a weird one; I'll admit I haven't had much time to investigate yet, but before I do, just curious if anyone's run into this before:
I noticed my left tail light out, so I replaced the bulb. It was still out. What's weird is the brake light still works. I've tried 3 different bulbs all with same result. Haven't checked fuses but wouldn't other lights be out too if it was a fuse? Everything else works. Just the left tail light's out.
Any thoughts of where I should start looking for the problem?
Old 12-08-2013, 08:01 AM
AudiWorld Member

If your car is similar to mine, you should check all of the connections at the taillight assembly. I had the exact same thing happen to me, and it turns out it was a corroded connection at the bulb. When you pull the entire tail light panel, you will see these fat ribbons of metal, similar to a circuit board. Find the one that goes the dead light, cut the plastic weld that holds it in, and check the connection underneath. You'll see what I mean when you get in there. Most likely you'll see what almost looks like a burn from a short circuit. Just take some 150 grit sandpaper to it and glue the metal strip back together. Mine was corroded enough that it melted some of the plastic. Can we say major fire hazard?
Old 12-12-2013, 06:47 PM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks for the advice.
I went through and checked all the connections on the tail light assembly, and gave them a thorough cleaning with contact cleaner... no change. I even tried a spare assembly I had laying around... no change. All fuses are good. Not really sure what it could be now.
Turn signal works. Brake light works. But neither the inner or outer tail lights work. Just on the left side. I don't get it. I hate electrical stuff.