1990 V8 Power Windows

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2015, 03:02 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1990 V8 Power Windows

So I'm having some trouble figuring out what is going on with my windows.
I only have one window that works, I've pulled the doors apart and metered the plugs for the motors. And it appears that they are getting power both at the door and at the drivers door, but won't budge. I put power to the passenger door with an extra battery and it works that way, but when I tried the same thing through the drivers door switch panel it didn't work..
So needless to say I'm at a loss, and now it's summer time and I really want to be able to roll my windows down.
Old 06-16-2015, 04:45 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Broken wires in the doorjamb.
Old 06-17-2015, 02:37 PM
AudiWorld Member

There is a possibility you have a bad switch. Take a known good working switch and replace the possible bad switch. If still not working then as Kneale says, the wires that run from the driver’s door hinge pillar through the rubber accordion boot to the driver’s door switches have been flexing in that boot for 25 years and they are hard and brittle. They will break, insulation will fall off, and wires will cross. You will have to splice in new wires, preferably all the wires so that the splices are in the door and inside the hinge post/lower dash area. This will then put new wires in the flexing area.

Also clean all connections, small file, wire brush. Dieletic grease would help slow corrosion. Any corrosion creats resistance and that maybe why when you use anouther battery windows start to work.

Good luck, Bob
Old 06-19-2015, 07:57 AM
AudiWorld Member

Remove a switch and hook a spare battery directly to the wires that go to motor and see if it moves/makes noise. Lago sat for 3-4 yrs and after 3 of the 4 windows wouldn't move...gearbox on motor was frozen up and after cleaning/relubing...those 3 worked. Recently that 4th window I didn't touch stopped working...Ha. 5-speed had 11 broken wires in doorjamb. Good luck, Tom
Old 06-19-2015, 08:33 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks for the suggestions, I'm betting that it's broken wires.
I metered the wires from the switch in the drivers door thought the car to the pass side for continuity, and got nothing.

Now I just have to find some time to delve into that box of worms.....I mean wires 😏

Thanks again to the suggestions guy.
Ryan
Old 06-20-2015, 01:13 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Some good threads available on how to completely rewire the doors.

Search the archives ...
Old 06-28-2015, 04:25 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I found 5 min yesterday and was able to look inside the door jam rubber, you were right I had a broken wire. It fixed 2 of the windows. I think the other one might be a bad motor.
Thanks so much for the help, I probably never would have thought of looking there.