1991 200 no heat or vent control

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2015, 10:45 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1991 200 no heat or vent control

I have just recently realized I have no vent control or heat in my 200. I bought it in early summer and since the ac was removed, I havent touched the climate control except to turn it off every time I start it. I replaced the controller but it does the same thing. Im wondering if this is common? I couldnt find much info on it, but its late and I was fighting with replacing the control arms all day so I may just be missing he correct search.

So no heat, stuck on defrost vents no mater what is selected, blower control works fine and so does auto apart from defrost only.
Old 08-23-2015, 06:40 AM
AudiWorld Member

Read through the information on the SJM site. There is a way to access malfunction codes for the HVAC system through the climate control. When the system will only blow air through the defrosters, that tells me you do have a malfunction because the defrost mode is the default mode when there is a system failure.

SJM Autotechnik, Audi Technical Service Repair Information

Bob
Old 08-23-2015, 09:22 AM
AudiWorld Member

Assuming the 200 heater system is similar to the V8, the no heat could easily be the wimpy brittle plastic arm on the Temperature Regulator Flap Motor....fixed 3 of these on V8's. It's on the drivers side of heater box(white plastic cover with 4 screws as I recall). If you go to the passenger side of box and see the plastic linkage, and can move it freely with your hand, the motor arm is broken/if not moving free, the motor could be siezed(seen both)....To be functional, you can just move the linkage on passenger side to hot for winter if broken arm/dead motor, remove motor linkage REALLY carefully and move linkage to hot BTD both. Not sure what "ac removed" might add to the equation/and there's 10 pages in the book for diagnostics for the control aspects of the system, I've found that motor arm either broken, or the motor dead...Motor's still available/don't believe plastic arm is. On vent issue there's a recirc(ac?) flap under glovebox that the spring wears/breaks the holder so gets stuck either open or closed, can't recall, but had to fix that spring holder on both current cars, and a few others. In 13 yrs and having 6 v8's go thru my hands, never had a climate issue that wasn't one of these things, but know others that have had bad head units. That's what I know.....Good luck, Tom
Old 08-23-2015, 10:19 AM
AudiWorld Member

Oh, and if you're still fighting with the control arms, I put a ratchet strap on swaybar and squeeze the ends inward so they slide thru both control arms...First time I did job without the ratchet strap,just trying to force it back in, messed up the threads on swaybar a bit. Don't forget to not torque till weight on wheels or can tear the new bushings, and a few of those fasteners as I recall are TTY so one time use(heard tales of reuse failure)...Good luck, Tom
Old 08-24-2015, 10:08 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks guys. Sounds like lots of good info. I will be checking these and the sjm site this week and hopefully get somewhere by next weekend. Oh and thanks Tom for the advice on the control arms, I did end up using a ratchet strap, work well.
Old 08-27-2015, 12:09 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by E30drift
Thanks guys. Sounds like lots of good info. I will be checking these and the sjm site this week and hopefully get somewhere by next weekend. Oh and thanks Tom for the advice on the control arms, I did end up using a ratchet strap, work well.
I had the same symptoms on my 91 200 and it ended up being the vacuum line to the heater valve control just behind the engine at the firewall. It had come off in the course of some repairs and caused these exact symptoms. It can also be the diaphragm in the control valve itself leaking vacuum. A good way to test it is just plug the line and see if your symptoms go away.
Old 09-01-2015, 09:11 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks! I will try for that too. I havent had much time to work on it lately but hopefully this weekend will be the time for fixing it. Thanks guys!