1991 Audi 200 20v Fuel Filter issue?

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2017, 02:42 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1991 Audi 200 20v Fuel Filter issue?

Sometimes when I try and start my car it turns over then dies immediately.I've been having this issue randomly for about a year now. I thought it was the battery or alternator, but both have been tested and are working fine.

Last time I couldnt start the car I was lucky enough to have a mechanic help me get it started. He said that the issue was most likely a clogged / old fuel filter that needed to be replaced, or the Oxygen Sensor / Fuel Injector sensor. He said the car wasnt getting enough gas to start the engine.

Im assuming replacing the fuel filter is the easiest thing to do right now. So have any of you replaced one? Do I just buy a Bosch or Mann filter and unbolt the old one, bolt on the new one? Is it that easy?
Old 01-26-2017, 06:57 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I think the filter is mounted on top (under the hood) the passenger side wheel well just ahead of the strut. Should be a snap to replace. Be sure to use true line wrenches to undo the fittings. You do NOT want to round one off. Crack it open and let the pressure bleed off before going any further. Gas will come out and run down the wheel well. A few rags stuffed around it should catch most of it. Take note of the flow direction marked on the filter. However, I thing the fitting are different sizes to prevent it from being installed backward anyway.
Old 02-22-2017, 06:26 PM
AudiWorld Member

http://www.sjmautotechnik.com/troubl...ng/20vtecu.htm

Before you do anything, verify if you have/don't have any fault codes....That might save you time/money if filter doesn't solve current issue/good place to start. Does it finally start and run fine?, if so you could be losing fuel pressure from bad pump check valve/leaky injector/fuel pressure regulator/bad pump. Go back to troubleshooting on that link, and your answer is there somewhere. Start with fresh filter(always a good idea)....pull the fuel pump fuse while running and let die so it won't squirt gas in your eye when cracking the lines with a proper flare nut wrench as DG recomended. If it runs fine when warm, it's not your filter, but change it anyway if you've never done it. Good luck, Tom
Old 03-16-2017, 06:33 PM
AudiWorld Member

Also your "sixth fuel injector", the cold start valve, might not be spraying at startup. But yes, pull codes and replace o2 anyway.