1991 Audi V8 Starter issue

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2016, 10:32 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1991 Audi V8 Starter issue

I'm currently looking at picking up a very nice looking 91 Audi v8, 170xxxish miles, looks very clean the they guy says this in the ad
"Pulled the starter and it has 3 chipped teeth on the flywheel which is why it wont crank. " my question is On a scale from 1 to Audi Allroad, how much of a pain will it be getting that sorted? Thank you?
Old 03-23-2016, 01:08 PM
AudiWorld Member

I would say its a tie with the AllRoad. Pull the engine or pull the trans. The automatic transmissions are prone to failure after 100K if not maintained. So if you can't start it you can't drive it. You have to look at it as a parts car. Is there any redeeming value to the car, interior perfect, exterior perfect, UFO brakes in good shape? Won't start, can't check the brakes. This could surpass the AllRoad for PIA status.

Sorry if I'm too negative.

Bob
Old 03-28-2016, 07:54 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Won't start, can't check the brakes. This could surpass the AllRoad for PIA status.

Sorry if I'm too negative.

Bob[/QUOTE]

No worries, I need to be aware of that sort of thing, if it was a manual I would have bought it already. I've been wanting a early v8 audi for a couple years, and besides the starter this one is excellent nic.
Old 03-31-2016, 07:32 AM
AudiWorld Member

Bigger issue is the speed sensor reads the teeth, so won't be right with those missing. I know of 2 people over the years that welded/dremeled new teeth on in place thru starter hole, so it's feasable and one of them lasted 8 yrs before it got wrecked. I parted one missing 13 teeth after the starter return spring broke and it kept bouncing off the flywheel going downhill. Never worked on an Allroad so can't comment, but if you pulled the motor/tranny, you could replace that steering rack/hoses that're probably leaking/reseal motor/etc. There's a lot of dissasembly to getting the motor out, but can't imagine it's much different than Allroad/newer audis. Sounds like you might be able to get this car cheap. I might even have a flywheel for you.....Good luck, Tom
Old 04-04-2016, 10:14 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Never worked on an Allroad so can't comment, but if you pulled the motor/tranny, you could replace that steering rack/hoses that're probably leaking/reseal motor/etc. There's a lot of dissasembly to getting the motor out, but can't imagine it's much different than Allroad/newer audis. Sounds like you might be able to get this car cheap. I might even have a flywheel for you.....Good luck, Tom[/QUOTE]

This is giving me pause to think, which is only right with a 25 year old executive sedan, maybe I should have you negotiate the price haha. Seriously thank you for all the advice!
Old 10-08-2016, 05:09 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

This car belongs to me. And I'm finally going to pull the engine today. Got a new (to me) flex plate for it. I described the car as honestly as I could. The car ran good with a slight ( I believe it had already had at least 1 chipped tooth on the flex plate) when i got it. Hopefully all goes smooth and i can get the car running and have it back up for sale as a running car at a higher price. If you're still interested when I get it running get a hold of me.