'86 rear ended, nobody hurt, not much damage.........(kinda long)

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2004, 04:15 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '86 rear ended, nobody hurt, not much damage.........(kinda long)

other party accepts responsibility for repairs. All I need to do is get 2 estimates.

The damage I have is where the other car road up and over my bumper. This buckled up the chrome strip on the top of the rear bumper, so it is now about a half inch above the bumper, also have a minor dent in the body just above the bumper, and just below the latch mechanism. With the minor body dent, my closed trunk lid is riding about a quarter inch high across the entire facing of the trunk lid. The trunk lid still opens, closed, and latches perfectly, so I can tell there is no damage to the trunk lid or latching mechanism. It just seems that the latch or body is a tiny bit high, so the trunk lid appears to be not completely closed. This is all that I have to contend with.

Sure, I can get the insurance to pay a body shop for repairs, but I would like to pocket the money and fix it myself.

Question...how difficult to remove and replace the black rubber bumper cover? I would guess that it pulls back and off like VWs that I have had. Is that right? If so, where do I start pulling to get the bumper cover to come loose and off?

Question...how can the thin chrome strip be removed and replaced? Is it in three sections, so that it can be disassembled? The chrome strip appears to be just evenly bent, and not broken. Straightening it should repair it.

Question....I would guess the minor body dent above the bumper can be hammer tapped to near original, so that it lowers the heights level of the closed trunk lid. Is that reasonable to assume?

Anyone BTDT, would really appreciate any advise
Thanks...........Rooster
Old 11-07-2004, 04:40 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default here is how it works.

The plastic bumper is clipped to the actual aluminum bumper.

there is 4 allen bolts holding it on (can you see the plugs in the black colored part of the bumper?)
sometimes there is 2 bolts from the bottom as well. (they will also have plugs)

Once that comes off, you can unclip the plastic bumper cover from the real aluminum bumper.

the chrome strips are actually plastic. they are held on by 10mm nylon nuts. just steal some from a scrap yard.
You can't get them off without removing the bumper first though....
Old 11-09-2004, 03:26 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Thanks MarkPan...........I appreciate the help.