Barn Find: 1986 CQT

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2015, 06:11 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Barn Find: 1986 CQT

Found this gem in a barn here in north east Wisconsin.

Name:  IMG_0037_zpscdxkxbnn.jpg
Views: 152
Size:  279.3 KB

133k miles, 5 speed. Almost rust free. Just lots of dry rot. Replacing all the rubber bits as I can. So far this car looks like it could be everything I wanted my Saab to be.
Old 07-19-2015, 06:14 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Oh, questions.

Where the heck can I find a new mustard relay of the windows?

Any tips on a very squeaky rear suspension?
Old 07-20-2015, 02:18 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by PoisonBeef
Oh, questions.

Where the heck can I find a new mustard relay of the windows?

Any tips on a very squeaky rear suspension?
Congrats on the find. Quite the stroke of luck. Please translate "mustard relay". It did not come up on my Audi speak translator.

Everyone is going to demand more pictures so please provide them ASAP, pretend your selling the car to us.

All the rubber bits are 30 years old so they will squeak and moan until replaced or worn back in. I think a large can of PB Blaster will be your friend. Try not to break things as you remove or loosen things. Parts are getting hard to find. If your windows are not working there are several known issues it could be.
1. Lack of use, they get stuck in the closed posistion. Take off the door cards and apply power directly to the motor.
2. Switches corrode internally, Electrical cleaner may help, clean all connections and grounds.
3. The wires in the Left front door acordian boot flex and break after 30 years and will need to be spliced with new.

Good Luck, Bob
Old 07-20-2015, 06:13 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

The 'mustard' relay is PN 447 959 875

If I fiddle with it, the windows work. Most annoying. Got the passenger window working today, and the power antenna. Bad relay on the antenna and a broken wire on the window.

Did an oil change, air filter, look over. Replaced a few of the vac-lines. Mainly turbo related. Trying to see if I can get my '1.3bar' to know its mostly healthy. Only getting about 1.1. Need to check the boost controller thingy if its working at all.

Generally the car has a case of the 'sit-iris'. Been in a barn for a few year. The paint is hella faded. Leather is ok. The drivers seat has a tear. Not bad for 30 years old.

Any tips on getting the paint all shiny? Waxing/buffing has never been my thing.

Also, might need some exhaust work soon. When I had the Saab I dropped in a 3" turbo back kit from Genuine Saab (and aftermarket place). Do I have any options for exhaust upgrades from anywhere? Or do I just have to go to a shop and get one welded up?

Thanks!
Old 07-22-2015, 04:15 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If original, then paint should be fine with the mildest clean.

Broken wires, cables and corroded switchs are most of the window problems, no major ...

Yeah, check all the fittings and pipes for leaks, including the plugs ...

The engines are nearly unbreakable and the 5 speed box is a major improvement on the slack autos, so a bit of cleaning, a few new connections and she should be sweet.

great buy with that box and this car is way better than ANY Volvo.
Old 07-22-2015, 11:19 AM
AudiWorld Member

Wow, look at that nice, straight body, great looking car
Old 07-23-2015, 05:19 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I was just thinking while driving it back from work last night that for a 30 year old car, it rides way nicer than my old 9-3, or my old s40, or my 2012 golf, or my 1980 cutlass.

Just a really nice old car.

Now to get some power out of the engine.
Old 07-23-2015, 10:14 AM
AudiWorld Member

If you think you like it now, just wait till the first snowfall.
Old 07-25-2015, 06:54 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Anyone ever do anything to make these headlights better? I have dropped in over wattage bulbs on other vehicles in the past.

Just put on a pair of hellas, use em and don't get pulled over?
Old 07-26-2015, 06:09 AM
AudiWorld Member

Relaying the head lamps is the best, least expensive and best safety upgrade you can make. Heres a link for a how to......

simple headlight relay wiring

"I was just thinking while driving it back from work last night that for a 30 year old car, it rides way nicer than my old 9-3, or my old s40, or my 2012 golf, or my 1980 cutlass.
Just a really nice old car. Now to get some power out of the engine. "

Soon you will understand the meaning of... I love to hate my Audi. It is my drug of choice. Resistance is futile.

Good Luck, Bob

Quick Reply: Barn Find: 1986 CQT