Car won´t start after activation Deactivation of alarm

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2016, 03:27 AM
OMP
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Car won´t start after activation Deactivation of alarm

Hi .
I went to pick up my car yesterday after the headliner was completely done as well as back shelf.

I left the car monday morning and 10 minutes after, the guy calls me and says the is going off and doesn´t know how to shut it down.
My car ( Audi 200 20V eur spec) has ( I believe) a factory alarm and the swicth only works in the passanger side, so it does turn on when locking the car from the passenger door only ( it doesn´t work from the drivers door).

Anyhow, the guy says that the car doesn´t start since monday ( after the alarm situation). So, I open the car, have a try and the engine turns, battery is OK, enough fuel but can´t really hear the fuel pump buzzing ( at least one good thing about about a loud fuel pump).
I can still turn on the alarm thru the passenger door and ( for what I understand ) turn it off....or maybe there is something in the switch which is preventing from turning it off completely ( but the alarm doesn´t go off after I suposively turn it off).

So, million dollar question, what has gone wrong? where should I look for the culprit? Is there a specific fuse for the Fuel Pump? Is the alarm control unit doing something really wrong?

I´m kinda p***ed off as I was so anxious to have the car back and have a "new" headliner.....and now it is stuck and with no clue about what is happening.

Thanks
Regards
Old 09-26-2016, 06:15 AM
OMP
AudiWorld Member

OK.
Friday I was able to spend some time with the mechanic.

When the alarm is deactivated ( only from the passanger side lock as the driver´s has never worked anyways), and try to start, the car will engage the starter and engine turn.

We checked the Fuel Pump Relay and is not getting any signal for activation.
The is no spark while cranking. We forced the fuel pump relay and closed all the contacts, and with fuel pump running, nothing.....as we don´t have a spark.

So, what's the issue here? For what I have read, if the alarm is activated, I thought the starter would not go.....and mine does.
The rest should all be good. I just left the car for the headliner repair and nothing else was altered in anyway, just that the alarm when off like crazy for a few minutes before it got deactivated ( with passenger door lock) and since that moment, car didn´t start...

I have keep searching about the "Alarm Relay", which I believe must be doing the trick of not letting the signal get to the fuel pump relay and to the distributor ( all as a guess).
But, where is it located?

Thanks
Regards
Old 09-26-2016, 07:52 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Isn't there a fuse that controls the alarm and the power locks? Maybe leave all relays in place, pull that fuse(s), and test.
Old 09-26-2016, 11:26 AM
OMP
AudiWorld Member

Thanks brad.
Fuses have been checked and all are OK.
However, I am starting to think that the alarm might not be the culprit, and I am turning towards the engine speed sensor that might be faulty.

Here is the thing: From what I have read, it seems that the OEM alarm system will not even let the car turn, as it´ll cut any signal to the starter.
In my case, deactivating the alarm, the engine does turn, and we have seen until now that Fuel pump is not getting any activation signal and there is no spark at all ( tested ).

So, it could be a bad coincidence that the engine speed sensor went, as it seems that having a non operative speed sensor, the Motronic will not allow any spark and will not activate the fuel pump.

So, I guess that will be the next step and see where it brings us.

Thanks
Regards
Old 09-30-2016, 02:16 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

In general,

if it goes, then its a minor issue to get it going again.

So go back to where it was going and go from there, ie the first thing you CHANGED.
Old 11-11-2016, 03:37 AM
OMP
AudiWorld Member

Hi Pushbutton.

I got it back to start and boy there are stupid people out there.

Thing is, when I left the car for the headliner replacement, putting it back, dome lights when off and fuse burnt.......The guy opened the fuse box and picked up the very first fuse he found and put it into the dome lights fuse slot.........What fuse did he took by mistake????? The ECU one......

Worst thing is that I had to call him about 3 times to go trhu what really happened, as he told me that when I left the car ( with the alarm on ) he unlocked the car and started with no issues. So, no alarm issues at all, just a dumb guy

Thanks anyway for the hints.

Regards

By the way, the guy did the headliner and back shelf and he did a wonderful job...Now I can open my sunroof again......