Critical question: Are relays absolutely necessary for the Eurolights on 200?

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2016, 11:56 PM
OMP
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Critical question: Are relays absolutely necessary for the Eurolights on 200?

Hi.

Following up on the voltage question below, we went thru the headlights wiring and the mechanic saw "strange things", that could be the source of the voltage behavior.

So, there was a conversion made from original Headlamps ( Canadian model) to the Eurolights.

This was done some years ago and I didnīt really had a look at the installation. Now that we are going in detail on the installation, we came accross a couple of relays which seem to feed the euro lights. Now, right away, I said to the guy to get rid of all that since I want to absolutely go to the standard installation ( like Euro cars).

But I have been reading and everybody involved in this type on conversation talk about installing relays......

Since I have also a european 200 20V with standard Euro lights installation from the factory, where should I expect to see differences?

Question is, whatīs with the standard ( US-Canada cars) wiring? Why are relays installed. Havenīt check on my 20V, but do I expect to have any relays for the headlights?

What if I "copy" the wiring from my 20V to the 10V?

Can anyone help me understand? Many thanks
Old 09-04-2016, 06:27 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

To the best of my knowledge head lamps for North American and European cars were not relayed. But I have been looking into doing that on my V8 so here are some sites that may be of help to you.

headlight-update

www.AudiV8.com - FAQ / Häufig gestellte Fragen

quattroworld.com Forums: And the "how to", right here..

Audi 100 online Shop - der Auditeile Shop rund um den Audi 100 und Audi 200

http://www.ceautoelectricsupply.com/...relaykits.html

Please report back as to progress / results

Bob
Old 09-04-2016, 07:29 AM
OMP
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks V8Bob for the infos.

All seem to point in the direction of having relays and updating some how the wiring to include them.

I will keep track and inform you about it.

I still canīt see why canīt the original wires from the US ( or CAN ) spec cars canīt just be rewired to the Eurolights connectors.

I am guessing that Low Beam funtion, high bea are basically coming into the lights in either layout, right? Or are relays installed so that there is no choice as "wires" do not have these "direct" functions ( one wire for low, one wire for high, one pfor parking)??

In any case, I am not at all an electrical guy, so I am saying this from a "ignorant" point of view.

Thanks and Iīll post the outcome ( which should happen on a couple of weeks).

Regards
Old 09-04-2016, 07:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Right now the full power to the lamps is running through your headlight switch. With that setup you lose amps/volts to the headlights so they are not as bright as they should be and you overheat the switch on the column and over time the switch overheats and fails. Installing the relays you then have the headlight switch telling the relays to put power to the lamps by running full power through the relays not the switch. That's my ignorant understanding of it.

Bob
Old 09-08-2016, 07:24 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 75 Likes on 67 Posts

Also the wiring is not very heavy, so they cannot handle much more than 55W bulbs w/out running a heavier harness with relays.