Fuel delivery issue - '85 Audi 5000s w/Bosch Fuel Injection

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2008, 09:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel delivery issue - '85 Audi 5000s w/Bosch Fuel Injection

So I am currently working on the hand-me-down vehicle refernced in the title. It was given to me after sitting for several years with fuel in the system. Thus far, I have dropped the gas tank and had it vatted to clean it out and replaced the in-tank fuel pump and fuel relay. After reinstalling the tank and verifying that the fuel lines weren't blocked, I now get fuel all the way to the fuel distributor but none to the combustion chambers (but do get fuel flowing freely to the cold start valve). I have pulled the injectors and taken them to a local shop that tested them and said they were functioning fine.

Based on the little bit of research I have done, as well as what I have already checked/tested it seems to me like the problem is most likely in one of three areas - fuel distributor, fuel pressure regulator or maybe fuel accumulator. Is there a good way to test each of these to identify where the problem actually is?

Thoughts, ideas, suggestions welcome. I would like to get this running again as it will be more economical as a daily driver, but don't want to keep spending money on a lost cause.

To recap:
-Vehicle sat a few years with fuel in system
-Had gas tank cleaned
-Replaced fuel pump and fuel relay
-Blew out fuel lines
-Fuel flows to fuel distributor, and to cold start valve
-No fuel to injectors
Old 02-22-2008, 10:21 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Fuel distributor sounds most likely. Fuel flow directly from distributor...

to the injectors, so common sense would say that's the case.
Old 02-22-2008, 10:53 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Accumulator is just a spring loaded 'resevoir'..

Accumulator is just a spring loaded 'resevoir', designed to keep fuel pressure up after shutdown, so fuel doesn't 'vapourize' after a run, causing hot start problems.

(Also 'reputed' to absorb pressure spikes in pump output. Although, I'd think the pressure regulator would look after that too)

Anyway, the accumulator is probably not the cause of your starting problems.. :-)

Fuel distibutor (As in 'flap static resting postion) and vaccum leaks are more likely.

Remembering that CIS is (in concept) a very simple system:

"Raising the flap causes (a calibrated) fuel spray"

So, in *very* simple terms:

Either...

1- The flap isn't lifting (because of intake leaks anywhere along the intake path between the flap and motor), so no injector spray

or

2-Flap IS lifting, but no injector spray

2 is easy to test, especially if you can pull the injectors out. Pull them out, and point them into small bottles.

Force the fuel pump on, and lift the plate. If you get fuel, then that's on the way to being good. Look for vaccum leaks.

If no spray, then continue on the fuel path.