how to remove drive belt rear guard and sprocket?

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2004, 04:47 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how to remove drive belt rear guard and sprocket?

Well I determined you need to remove the drive belt rear guard to pull the head off which I presume can't be done unless you remove the sprocket but I cant figure out how to do that either.
Any tips are this part would be greatly appreciated. Once I do this the head is ready to come off and maybe I will get this car running again for the winter.
Old 12-23-2004, 08:28 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Re: how to remove drive belt rear guard and sprocket?

If you are talking about the timing belt you should be VERY sure to trun the engine over with a socket in the crank pully until you have the O mark showing on the flywheel in the timing reference hole in the bell housing.

At that point you are #1 cylinder TDC.

Then note that the cam pully reference mark on the BACK of the cam pully is aligned with the valve cover gasket.

At that point you should be able to slide / pry the timing belt off the front of the cam pulley and when it is off put a bungie on it to keep it tight in the notches of the crank pulley until the head is back on.

Then, use something to lock the cam pulley with the large holes it has so that it can't move and bend valves when you are removing the center bolt.

At that point pull the cam pulley off but be CAREFUL to not lose the woodruf key in the pulley. It falls out easily and will drop down into the timing belt . crank pulley and then you will need to tear off all that stuff to get it out of there.

Note the position of the distributor before removing it.

Have fun : )
Old 12-24-2004, 01:25 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: how to remove drive belt rear guard and sprocket?

Is there a tool for the procedure of locking the shaft in the head so that I can loosen the spocket? Like I said I can not pull off the rear guard where the timing belt pulley is unless I remove the pulley. That rear guard is attached at the lower area of the engine and lower pulleys so Im under the assumption that you just have to remove the top pulley and then you can pull the head off.
There must be a link to a post showing step to step procedure.
Anyways any additioan help would be great. There must be a tool to look that shaft because there is no room to squeeze anything in between the pulley and rear belt guard.
Old 12-24-2004, 04:52 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default The 'special' tool for holding the cam sprocket

while removing the bolt is a straight bar with two 3 inch arms perpendicular to the main bar. The two arms fit into two of the holes in the sprocket and hold it from moving. Not really a locking tool but helps avoid slipping and smashing valves.

If you need to remove the cover on the back of the cam sprocket I think that you will need to remove the front TB cover to get at everything.
Old 12-25-2004, 06:40 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default The "drive belt rear guard" does not need to be removed in oder to remove the head...

once you have removed the timing belt cover and slid the timing belt off the cam sprocket, the "drive belt rear guard" can be unbolted from the front of the engine and can then be removed with the head without removing the cam sprocket. You may need to removed the lower timing belt/pully cover as well to remove the "drive belt rear guard".

Of course be sure to have everything lined up at TDC and such so that it will be lined up when you go to put it all back together as tonyj stated.

Cheers,
Colin
Old 12-26-2004, 11:50 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: The 'special' tool for holding the cam sprocket

I have removed the front cover but you see the rear cover attaches the top timing sprocket to the lower which is holding that section of the head down.
Does snap-on sell this tool???
Old 12-26-2004, 02:08 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Don't think that Snap-on sells it and you wouldn't even want to pay their prices

Some parts stores rent the TB changing tools.

The tool really isn't that 'special'. Just rig something up that fits through the holes to hold it from turning when undoing the bolt. A big scredriver should work.
Old 12-27-2004, 12:29 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: Don't think that Snap-on sells it and you wouldn't even want to pay their prices

WEll I tried to screwdriver thing and its bending the frame of the car above the rad support\upper grill area. Granted this pulley may have never been removed, its on real tight. The screwdriver method seems possible but like I said its bending the car frame.
Is their a name for this special tool?? Has the screwdriver method worked for you previoslly.
Anyways who has pulled the head off must have dealt with this issue.
Old 12-27-2004, 10:38 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default If you are just trying to hold the cam sprocket

while loosening its canter bolt I am suprised that the screwdriver isn't working.
Yes, I have done this b4 and the bolt came out easily.
At that point you can just pull the sprocket off by hand (being careful to catch the woodruf key).
Old 12-28-2004, 10:23 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: If you are just trying to hold the cam sprocket

Well Ive spoken to several people and found out that their is a tool for this item. Apparently www.baumtools.com carries it but they are being pretty **** about no tool number. Its a long pipe with two pieces sticking out on one side that hold the sprocket into place. The screwdriver method is bending that part of the car frame. I just figured their would be more input on this from other users than just tonyj. Thanks man.