If I have a 10vt with CIS, how do I fine tune the engine

Old 04-11-2005, 08:18 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shortq... Still come here 'eh? Haha. Nice to see you guys are still bustin each others *****.

Now dont go pissing each other off. Both of you two are too smart to stop posting.
Old 04-11-2005, 03:17 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default ok i don't know what's funnier....

the fact that myke's post is being taken seriously, or that fact that the time was wasted either now or last year to mark those posts/find them again.

WOW! wish i had that kind of time.....
Old 04-12-2005, 04:06 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default It's all pretty funny...

If you guys spent a couple minutes with the search engine on audiworld too, you will find that Toxcheap gave away his CIS secrets.

Then again, if you read the MG site, you will find interesting contradictions to his very claims.

No worries, I really don't take any of this seriously.

SJ
Old 04-12-2005, 04:13 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Thanks for the continued chuckles....

And, er, Toxcheap:
The prosecutorial jab "I think your retarted.." needs a spellcheck from the esteemed author?

SJ
Old 04-12-2005, 05:45 AM

Default to continue the entertainment....

just for arguments sake, i haven't tested any of this and don't have CIS anymore...but do the fuel lines really get that hot? i know how hot the turbo gets, but usually not the exterior of the metal. and by the time that heat "floats" (i think that's the technical term) upward it's dissipated a lot. so are the lines/injectors really exposed to 1300 degrees? i mean really high egt's inside the exhaust manifold/turbo are up around 1400 degrees or a little more. so if proper turbo guidelines are followed in terms of cooling down after driving hard and keeping cooler air moving over all those parts, is it really that dangerous?

and yeah in the end it's all just the internet.
Old 04-12-2005, 07:25 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Audi recall campaign GK

84-89 turbo all

Included in this recall was the addition of the rubber fuel line cover (between FD and IM throttle bracket). The specific purpose of this campaign and it's installed parts were to reduce the risk of fire. The rubber fuel line cover was to divert a leaking fuel line from dripping on the hot turbo.

The risk of fire from fuel leaks on turbo cars was enough for a massive recall campaign.

"Proper turbo guidelines"? I haven't seen those in any audi publication. And let's not forget that GK applied to both the pre and post afterrun turbo cars (84, and 85> respectively).

Er, and that's at 90psi system pressure. The question is, does increasing the system pressure by 45% possibly increase the risk of fire audi was concerned about? I've been accused of being a bit slow, but I'd venture a 'yes' anyhow.

Scott Justusson
QSHIPQ Performance Tuning
Chicago
Old 04-12-2005, 08:50 AM

Default Re: Audi recall campaign GK

ok fine, not "proper turbo guidelines", maybe, "anyone who has a clue about how turbo's work will properly cool down their car/engine after spirited driving?!" does that work? don't really care if it's in an audi brochure or not. audi also never intended these cars to see 22psi of boost either. or is that in a brochure somewhere too.....

when was this recall? i've seen tons of 200k miles audi's with no rubber boots and lines that weren't leaking. and they ended up in the junkyard long before the stainless lines ever started to show wear or fatigue. under stock/typical driving conditions, based on what i've seen, i have a hard time believing this is truly such a safety concern/problem.

my .02 cents
Old 04-12-2005, 11:35 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Opinions vs facts

Birdmanmt:
Do you have the SAE article WRT Audi turbo center bearing and piston ring temps during hot shutdown? If not, I suspect even you might not know what is proper guildline for a hot turbo, at stock pressure, not 22psi.

WRT GK: You must be either too young or joking. GK was a massive campaign issued Jan 89 to both dealers and Audi Turbo Car customers ('84>89 turbo cars all). I have the campaign circular in it's entirety, the parts list is 2 pages long. Audi AG allotted 600HTU for each car! All of it was to address specifically fire risk in CIS turbo cars.

I'm sure glad someone has less experience than me. I've seen plenty of failed CIS lines. Unlike many 'experts' on pressure here, the failure is from massive heat cycles *and* pressure. Usually the leak is at one of the hard/soft line unions. I can certainly pop you up a pic if in doubt.

At 90psi a pinhole leak would become a tornado on a running car.

Educating oneself on CIS includes risk assessment and management. "I have a hard time believing" seems a bit light in the argument department given the documentation available.

Scott Justusson
QSHIPQ Performance Tuning
Old 04-12-2005, 12:17 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Trapped the shortcut. Many thanks kind sir for the quote of the year
Old 04-12-2005, 12:38 PM

Default ok well then how about some of those numbers.

two posts ago i inquired in all honesty that i don't know what the numbers are. and i asked, and i quote, "but do the lines really get that hot?" so that would mean what scott, I DON'T HAVE THE INFO! and was asking if they do and implying that if you know i'd be curious to find out what they are. next time i'll be more blunt as it seems necessary.

I'm sorry i'm young. why don't you call my parents and tell them they should've f*cked sooner so i'd be all knowing on audi's. No i didn't know about the recall, and yes it's obvious what a pinhole at 90psi would do.

i'm sorry i expressed my opinion based on living what you would probably call a sheltered life. what would be so hard about nicely responding and informing me, politely, as to the incorrect assumptions i've made? i stated at the beginning i didn't know.

you try to quietly come off as a *****. "i'm glad someone has less experience than me." is really just a slap in the face. you're what in your 40's and you do audi tuning/repair for a living? i sure as hell hope you have more experience than me. and there's only 1 way i'm gonna get any, but it seems like i'm being ridiculed for asking questions. way to encourage the younger generation to be better than you were.

thanks for all the help
Jeff

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: If I have a 10vt with CIS, how do I fine tune the engine