Intercooler piping v crossmember 1990 200TQA 10v

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2017, 02:23 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Intercooler piping v crossmember 1990 200TQA 10v

Here we go. I've begun the process of maintenance items and almost out of the gate, I've got a mystery (to me anyway, which isn't tough to do) regarding the intercooler pipe and front crossmember. I've got my front end apart and see evidence that the original crossmember was cut to leave the two fender supports in place, but no center section between the bumper mounts, and there is a big intercooler pipe right where the crossmember would go. I'm confused. Does this mean that I have some sort of non OEM intercooler or incorrect something or other? I sourced a crossmember from a junk yard 1990 200 TQ sedan, but if I offer up the crossmember on my car, the lower pipe outlet on the intercooler hits it squarely, no way they can coexist as they occupy the same space. I'll try to attach photos here in hopes it will help. One shows the pipe in its current location, right where the crossmember would be. The other shows the bottom outlet of the intercooler hitting the crossmember, were the member to be installed, no way to connect the pipe. I can't imagine it's good to delete the member. Is it? I saw mention in searched threads about upgraded and different intercoolers, but not my specific issue. Thanks anyone who can shed light.

crossmember in place, lower outlet of IC squarely hits the top of member.

IC pipe in place, angle of photo doesn't capture that pipe is occupying the space that the crossmember would be if installed.

Last edited by OverG; 05-08-2017 at 03:05 PM.
Old 05-08-2017, 03:51 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Congratulations OverG, it appears that your car has been fitted with an upgraded 20v intercooler setup. At least from your photos, the intercooler and lower charge pipe appear to be 1991 20vt intercooler parts. This intercooler has a larger core and is single-pass (as opposed to the smaller dual-pass 10vt unit). I installed this setup myself last year on my 10vt Avant. The piece you are missing is the 20v crossmember which is completely different from the 10v crossmember. It runs between the intercooler and lower charge pipe and offers support for the lower pipe.

Below is a photo of the 20vt intercooler setup installed on my 10vt car:

by https://www.flickr.com/photos/944barry/, on Flickr
Old 05-08-2017, 04:13 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thank you as always a-talk, you are becoming my info source!

I will consider this IC upgrade to be a good thing. I'm a bit embarrassed to find this out now after years of ownership, must've happened pretty early in the car's life. I've had the T-belt serviced a couple of times, never a mention from the shop or -embarrassed- noticed by me until now. In fact, I was a little miffed earlier today, thinking the shop had removed the crossmember for a service and just didn't reinstall it. I half thought about placing a call. Glad I didn't and we're still friends. So, now that I've wasted the few bucks and effort to source a 10v crossmember, I will embark on a search for the 20v unit. If it's like most things I search for, the 20v item will be much more plentiful. Doh!, jinxed it.
Thanks again for the info. I'm mostly pleasantly pleased! Once I have the required member, I'll be thoroughly pleased about it all. Also searching for a throttle body hose. Found a thumb sized hole in the bottom of mine upon removal. Likely solves that new lack of boost issue.

Originally Posted by a-talk
Congratulations OverG, it appears that your car has been fitted with an upgraded 20v intercooler setup. At least from your photos, the intercooler and lower charge pipe appear to be 1991 20vt intercooler parts. This intercooler has a larger core and is single-pass (as opposed to the smaller dual-pass 10vt unit). I installed this setup myself last year on my 10vt Avant. The piece you are missing is the 20v crossmember which is completely different from the 10v crossmember. It runs between the intercooler and lower charge pipe and offers support for the lower pipe.

Below is a photo of the 20vt intercooler setup installed on my 10vt car:

by Barry James McCabe, on Flickr
Old 05-08-2017, 04:25 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

a-talk, just to confirm as well, the 20v crossmember includes the 'cup' for the front torque mount coming off the engine to sit in, as with the 10v member? Noticing the mount just sticking out in space was my 'WTH?' moment, and then as the front end came off, the whole IC/member issue came to light. I assume it's better to have the member and torque mount cup there if one can.

Thanks as always.

Originally Posted by OverG
Thank you as always a-talk, you are becoming my info source!

I will consider this IC upgrade to be a good thing. I'm a bit embarrassed to find this out now after years of ownership, must've happened pretty early in the car's life. I've had the T-belt serviced a couple of times, never a mention from the shop or -embarrassed- noticed by me until now. In fact, I was a little miffed earlier today, thinking the shop had removed the crossmember for a service and just didn't reinstall it. I half thought about placing a call. Glad I didn't and we're still friends. So, now that I've wasted the few bucks and effort to source a 10v crossmember, I will embark on a search for the 20v unit. If it's like most things I search for, the 20v item will be much more plentiful. Doh!, jinxed it.
Thanks again for the info. I'm mostly pleasantly pleased! Once I have the required member, I'll be thoroughly pleased about it all. Also searching for a throttle body hose. Found a thumb sized hole in the bottom of mine upon removal. Likely solves that new lack of boost issue.
Old 05-08-2017, 10:35 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Yep, the snub mount receiving "cup" bolts to the crossmember just like the 10vt piece. I had to modify mine a little bit for clearance, but that just involved grinding the adjustment slots a little larger.

Originally Posted by OverG
a-talk, just to confirm as well, the 20v crossmember includes the 'cup' for the front torque mount coming off the engine to sit in, as with the 10v member? Noticing the mount just sticking out in space was my 'WTH?' moment, and then as the front end came off, the whole IC/member issue came to light. I assume it's better to have the member and torque mount cup there if one can.

Thanks as always.
Old 05-09-2017, 05:36 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks a-talk, I'll ensure the member is complete when I find one. BTW, the cup for the mount on the 10v members I've seen is spot welded in place. I think the bolt-on is the better way. Any and all advice, info and suggestions is welcomed. Seems you've done many things I am embarking on. I will eventually be at my cracked exhaust manifold, but methodically making repairs/replacements on my way in and out of there. Lots of cleaning involved. Valve cover gasket leaky especially near the rear for a long time, looks like.

Originally Posted by a-talk
Yep, the snub mount receiving "cup" bolts to the crossmember just like the 10vt piece. I had to modify mine a little bit for clearance, but that just involved grinding the adjustment slots a little larger.